-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

When a leading Bush demagogue admits he's become skeptical of the Bush
administration's truthfulness you know the deck of cards is about to
fall....

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/163375p-143201c.html

NY Daily News 2/11/04
O'Reilly eats words
on WMD claims

By THOMAS M. DeFRANK in Washington
and CORKY SIEMASZKO in New York
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Bill O'Reilly

Fox News flamethrower Bill O'Reilly shocked fans and foes alike yesterday by
apologizing for accepting President Bush's claim that Iraq had weapons of
mass destruction.
"I'm sorry," O'Reilly said on ABC's "Good Morning America" in a stunning mea
culpa.

"I think all Americans should be concerned about this, for their families
and themselves, that our intelligence isn't as good as it should be," he
said.

O'Reilly was one of the loudest voices calling for Saddam Hussein's ouster
at the "We report, You decide" network and called him a "killer with huge
stocks of anthrax and other deadly weapons."

Now, O'Reilly said he has become "much more skeptical about the Bush
administration" since weapons inspector David Kay voiced doubt that Saddam
had any weapons of mass destruction.

O'Reilly, who had promised last year he would publicly apologize if the
weapons were not found, was not happy to eat crow. "What do you want me to
do, go over and kiss the camera?" he said.

Liberal commentator Al Franken, who skewered O'Reilly in his book "Lies and
the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," said
the Fox News fulminator did the right thing.

"I thought O'Reilly's apology about misleading the country on weapons of
mass destruction on the eve of war was uncharacteristically gracious," he
said.

O'Reilly's ABC apology riled the Republican ranks but was not considered a
big enough tsunami to spark defections to the Democrats.

"There are other conservatives who did not support the war in Iraq, so
O'Reilly is not necessarilly unique," said GOP strategist Allan Hoffenblum.
"The majority of Republicans still believe the U.S. is a safer place because
Saddam is no longer in power."

A Bush strategist said the White House was not overly concerned and called
O'Reilly, whose column runs in the News, "an iconoclast, not a movement
conservative."

The host of the top-rated "O'Reilly Factor" cut the President some slack,
saying he did not believe Bush intentionally lied. Instead, he blamed CIA
Director George Tenet for providing faulty intelligence.

"I don't know why Tenet still has his job," he said.

Bush has said Tenet's job is safe. The President has been battered by
criticism because the stated reason for going to war - Iraq's purported
WMDs - were not found.

That failure will lead to a close election this fall, especially if Vietnam
war hero Sen. John Kerry is the Democratic candidate, O'Reilly predicted.

Originally published on February 11, 2004

www.ctrl.org