-Caveat Lector-

scroll for news article

This is an URGENT action alert from www.StopFamilyViolence.org .
Please take action as quickly as possible then forward this message to
others.

"Capturing the Friedmans" is a documentary film about pedophilia and child
s~xual abuse that distorts the truth in a way that will harm victims and
protect pedophiles. This is accomplished by omitting damaging evidence and
by reinforcing popular myths about child s~xual abuse.  What's more, the
film has been used to raise money to promote the release of convicted s~x
offenders from prisons around the country. And this week, it is under
consideration for an Academy Award.

Two of the Friedman's victims have written an open letter to the Academy
asking them not to give an award to the film.  The letter says in part, "If
this film does win an Oscar, it will be won at the expense of silencing the
plaintive voices of abused children once again, just as our own voices were
silenced 16 years ago by the threats and intimidation of our tormentors,
Arnold and Jesse Friedman."

Raise your voice to support victims!
Visit http://www.stopfamilyviolence.org/sfvo/oscar.html
to send a free, pre-written, editable message to the Academy of Motion
Picture Arts and Sciences and to ABC, who will broadcast the Awards on
Sunday February 29.

The letter asks 3 things

1. That the Academy not reward a film that perpetuates myths - rather than
shedding light - on the epidemic of child s~xual abuse.

2. That the Academy have one of the celebrities from either "Mystic River"
or "Monster" - films which had sensitive, accurate depictions of the nature
of child s~xual abuse - make a 2-3 sentence comment about the seriousness of
this issue.

3. That the Academy and ABC work together to make time to air an award
winning public service announcement that tells the truth about child s~xual
abuse and informs people where to get help.

Child s~xual abuse is identified as a major public health crisis in this
country. One in four girls and one in six boys will be s~xually abused
before their 18th birthday. Less than one in ten will tell.

On behalf of these victims and for the sake of all our nation's children, we
urge you to take immediate action by visiting
http://www.stopfamilyviolence.org/sfvo/oscar.html

More information about child s~xual abuse, the myths and omissions of the
film, and a complete copy of the victims' open letter to the Academy are
available at
http://www.stopfamilyviolence.org/sfvo/oscar.html

There isn't much time.  The Academy Awards will air on Sunday February 29 at
8:00 pm EST.  Please take action immediately then forward this message to
others.

Our strength is in our numbers.
Together we can.. http://www.stopfamilyviolence.org
Irene Weiser

NOTE: one of our members recently wrote to express her concerns about the
ways in which we have been "spelling" words like s~xual and [EMAIL PROTECTED] She said
"As someone who works at a r~pe crisis center, I can assure you that being
able to talk about "rape" (not [EMAIL PROTECTED]) is an extremely important step in the
healing process.  It is frankly offensive to see s~xual violence bastardized
in this manner.  I hope you will give serious consideration to changing this
practice."  She is entirely right in her concerns, and I realized I owe
everyone on this list an explanation.  Our email messages have been getting
caught in sp~m filters as a result of the language we must use when talking
about our issues. Regrettably, we must now resort to the same tactics p0rn
vendors use to get our messages through the system. Apologies to all who are
offended.

Irene Weiser
Stop Family Violence
331 W. 57th St #518
New York, NY 10019
http://www.StopFamilyViolence.org
the people's voice for family peace

www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.