-Caveat Lector-

LITTLETON ATONES FOR AMERICA'S GUILT
====================================

(CNNS, 04/20/99) --  "Trouble  here,  trouble  there.  There's so
much trouble in the air." [1]

There has been trouble in the air here in the USA, consequent  to
mass-murder by USA-led NATO in the former Yugoslavia.

"The  voice  of  your  brother's  blood  is crying to me from the
ground." [2]

Psycholgists label this  "blood  crying  out  from the ground" as
"free floating anxiety." But they do not intuit  the  guilt  that
looks for a scapegoat.

A troubling sense of guilt.   A  scapegoat needs must be found to
carry away  the  guilt.   In  "primitive"  times,  a  goat  would
symbolically  carry  the  people's  collective guilt off into the
wilderness.   We  "moderns"   scorn   as  superstitious  old-time
Biblical solutions.  "But the man that is  will  shadow  the  man
that pretends to be." [3]

"The angry god is annoyed by a guilt that is not equally shared,"
writes Rene Girard in  *The  Scapegoat*.   [4] The American guilt
for its sins against Yugoslavia causes unease (anxiety)  here  at
home.   Like  a  game of musical chairs, all Americans dread that
they will be "it."  The  people  cling to their smiley-face mask:
"Oh God, not me.  Let it be someone else."

And so, deep down (and you know it's true), we Americans  breathe
a  sigh of relief when students are massacred at a high school in
Littleton, Colorado.  The guilt will not  land on you or I (until
it again builds up.)  It  has  landed  on  Colorado  high  school
students.

Take  a  moment  to  relax.  Musical chairs has not chosen you --
this time.  The  youngsters  of  the  Columbine  High School have
atoned for our collective sins against Yugoslavia.

But take it to the bank:   musical chairs music is about to start
again.  America's collective guilt will recommence its search for
scapegoats.  Don't throw away that smiley face; the  blood  still
cries out from the ground.  Learn to  blend  in  with  the  herd.
That (they say) is safest.

Shocked?  "The victim is sacred," writes Girard in another  book.
It is criminal to kill the victim, "but the victim is sacred only
because  he  is  to be killed."  [5] The victims of the Columbine
High School massacre are elevated  to sainthood.  We all (for the
moment) breathe a sigh of relief:  they have atoned for our sins.

UNTIL NEXT TIME.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I faintly hear musical chairs music playing, in the background.

---------------------------<< Notes >>---------------------------
[1] From old blues song.
[2] Genesis 4:10
[3] "Choruses From 'The Rock'", by T.S. Eliot
[4] *The Scapegoat*  by  Rene  Girard.  Baltimore:  Johns Hopkins
University Press, 1986. ISBN: 0-8018-3917-3.
[5] *Violence and the Sacred* by Rene Girard.  Baltimore:   Johns
Hopkins University Press, 1979. ISBN: 0-8018-2218-1.

--
CNNS  (Conspiracy  Nation  News  Service)  is an INDEPENDENT news
outlet, not owned by anyone.  (But  of course, we would say that,