Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:07:52 -0800
From: Media Research Center <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MRC Alert Special: Recent Notable Quotables

        ***Media Research Center CyberAlert Special***
             9:05am EST, Wednesday March 17, 2004

Recent Editions of Notable Quotables

    Today, as we busily prepare for our DisHonors Awards on
Thursday, no regular CyberAlert. Instead, a time to catch up with
some back issues of Notable Quotables not yet distributed by e-
mail. Below, the text of the January 19 and February 2 editions.

    /// But before that, a quick update on the Tuesday CyberAlert
item about how the CBS Evening News, after having highlighted two
earlier polls showing John Kerry ahead of President Bush, on
Monday night failed to utter a word about a fresh CBS News/New
York Times poll which put Bush ahead of Kerry by three points:

    Tuesday's CBS Evening News did not catch up. The March 16
newscast carried a campaign piece by Bill Plante about Kerry and
Bush trading "punches" as Bush challenged Kerry to name the
foreign leaders who prefer him and Kerry charged Bush with causing
a lack of respect in the world for the U.S. Plante concluded with
an allusion to polling numbers: "Public confidence in the
President's ability to handle terrorism and international crises
continues to poll better than Kerry's. But even so, the Vice
President will go on the attack tomorrow in a major speech, saying
that Americans face a clear choice on national security issues."

    As noted in the March 16 CyberAlert, Tuesday's Early Show did
mention the Bush vs. Kerry comparison, though not until the 8am
news update. The CyberAlert did not offer a quote, so here is what
Plante reported Tuesday morning which never made it onto the CBS
Evening News: "In a two-man race, President Bush now holds a small
lead over Democratic rival Senator John Kerry according to our
latest CBS News/New York Times poll. Two weeks ago, Kerry had the
lead. Most of the voters, nearly three-quarters of the electorate,
say their minds are made up..."

    For the March 16 CyberAlert item:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2004/cyb20040316.asp#1 \\

    Back to NQ. As you probably know, NQ is the MRC's hard copy
publication which provides an every other week compilation of the
latest outrageous, sometimes humorous, quotes in the liberal
media.

    The quotes for Notable Quotables are collated by the MRC's
Rich Noyes, who produced the hard copy issue, and Kristina Sewell
then extracted the text from the PageMaker file.

    All of these quotes have appeared in previous CyberAlerts but,
as always, the NQ provides a compact presentation of the most
biased quotes from over a two-week period. And so here's a chance
to re-live some recent bias.

    For the Adobe Acrobat PDF of the January 19 issue, which
matches the look of the hard copy version sent to snail mail
subscribers:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/notablequotables/2004/pdf/Jan192004.pdf

    For the Adobe Acrobat PDF of the February 2 issue:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/notablequotables/2004/pdf/Feb22004.pdf

    For the NQ archive:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/archive/nq/welcome.asp

    > The text of the January 19, 2004 edition of Notable
Quotables, Vol. Seventeen; No. 2:

Katie Invited O'Neill's Critique...

"President Bush once praised Secretary O'Neill for his candor. He
was called a straight shooter. Today O'Neill is under
investigation for a tell-all book that raises serious questions
about the Bush administration."
"You say nowhere did you ever see evidence that Iraq possessed
weapons of mass destruction. Well, an intelligent person would
draw the conclusion that those charges were being trumped up by
the administration as a rationale for the invasion."
"Do you think an invasion of a country should be based on allusion
and assertion?"
"You do describe him [President Bush] as a blind man in a room
full of deaf people. So what are you saying about the way policy
is established in this White House?"
-- Katie Couric's introduction and some of her questions to former
Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, Today, Jan. 13.

...But Scolded Traitorous George

"He was once one of the President's most trusted aides, but his
new book about his years on the inside has many wondering whether
he's a traitor or man of integrity."
"A lot of people, George, think that this is just kinda creepy,
that you've done this. They see you as a turncoat, a Linda Tripp
type, if you will, who sort of ingratiated himself with the people
inside the White House. They made you who you became, and now all
of a sudden, you're telling, you're airing all the dirty laundry
and some people just think that's sorta gross."
"I mean, you were sitting there -- or standing there -- once when
the President was in his boxer shorts and Hillary came in and they
kissed and you witnessed conversations. It seems to me that, I
mean, is nothing sacred?"
"Why now, George? Couldn't this have waited until the President
was out of office?"
-- Couric to George Stephanopoulos on the March 12, 1999 Today
after he wrote a book, All Too Human, about his experiences as an
operative for Bill Clinton.

Hoping for an Anti-Bush Agenda

"I think crony capitalism is gonna be a big issue. All of the
connections between the Bush White House and companies like
Haliburton and the deals on energy and the environment and so on,
I think the Democrats are gonna use that....You know, bashing the
rich is one thing, but bashing the corrupt rich who are cutting
sweetheart deals is another thing entirely."
-- Time's Joe Klein on the Chris Matthews Show, Jan. 4.

The Conservative Howard Dean

  Kelly Wallace: "Those who know him well say Governor Howard Dean
was no left-wing liberal."
  Vermont political writer Peter Freyne: "We all laugh at that.
Howard Dean represented the Republican wing of the Democratic
party. Some even thought it was the Republican wing of the
Republican Party at first."
  Wallace: "In fact, his biggest critics during his 11-year tenure
were not Republicans, but left-leaning Democrats who sometimes
found him too conservative, like Democrat Francis Brooks."
  State representative Francis Brooks (D): "There were times when
leaving his office, we were a long ways from agreement."
-- CNN's Paula Zahn Tonight, January 7.

"I give it to Howard Dean. The bum rap is that he's an out of the
mainstream liberal. During his twelve years as Governor, the words
'liberal' and 'Howard Dean' never appeared in the same sentence."
-- Newsweek's Eleanor Clift giving the "Bummest Rap" award for
2003 on the December 27 McLaughlin Group.

"[Howard Dean's] liberal credentials are belied by a long-standing
predilection for political moderation and fiscal conservatism in
Vermont."
-- From a front-page New York Times profile of Howard Dean by Rick
Lyman, December 28.

Reality Check:
"After 12 years of Dean's so-called 'fiscal conservatism,' Vermont
remains one of the highest taxing and spending states."
-- The Cato Institute's Stephen Moore and Stephen Slivinski in
their "Fiscal Policy Report Card on America's Governors: 2002."
Dean earned a "D" from Cato for his overall lack of fiscal
conservatism.

NYT Sees Helpful Democrats...

"Clark and Kerry Offering Plans to Help Middle Class/Gearing
proposals to appeal to everyday Americans."
-- Headline and blurb accompanying a story about the Democratic
candidates in the January 6 New York Times.

...But Stingy Republicans

"Bush Pushes Education as Election Year Opens/Defending programs
that Democrats say he underfinanced."
-- Headline and blurb summarizing a story about President Bush on
the same page.

ABC Touts Bleak "New Reality"

  Dan Harris: "President Bush used his weekly radio address today
to trumpet new jobless figures, which put unemployment at a
14-month low. But...behind these upbeat numbers are millions of
workers who've had to downsize their paychecks and their
dreams...."
  Dean Reynolds: "For millions of Americans, being employed means
lowering expectations. While there are small signs that
better-paying jobs are returning, for the most part, the new
positions are on the lower end of the pay scale, and with more and
more American jobs being shipped overseas, that's unlikely to
change for years. One analyst said it's important for the American
worker to come to terms with this new reality. As he put it, there
isn't going to be any miraculous job rebound, and to suggest that
this economy will be able to create 250,000 jobs a month anytime
soon is unfair."
-- ABC's World News Tonight, January 10.

"Up in Arms" Over "Nazi" Tactics

"Foreign visitors are going to be fingerprinted at airports. It
starts today. Everybody's up in arms. We're going to ask: Is it
going to do any good?"
-- Diane Sawyer at the top of ABC's Good Morning America, January
5.

"Some countries, as you know Secretary Ridge, are furious at this
new policy, specifically Brazil which has started to do the same
to U.S. visitors to that country. A Brazilian judge said, compared
the new security plans to Nazi horrors saying, ‘I consider the act
absolutely brutal, threatening human rights, violating human
dignity, xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors committed by
the Nazis.' How do you respond to that?"
-- NBC's Katie Couric to Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge on
Today, January 5.

When Will the Enemy Have Won?

"The death toll of U.S. soldiers in Iraq is now nearing 500. How
many is too many?"
-- CBS's Harry Smith to Ambassador Paul Bremer on The Early Show,
January 13.

Bush's Big Bucks Button

"[Howard Dean] cannot equate with the fundraising power of a
President of the United States who is a Republican, especially
representing the corporate interests. He can go out there, push
the button and get a lot of money."
-- NBC anchor Tom Brokaw to Daily Show host Jon Stewart on Comedy
Central, January 6.

Howard Dean, the Love Doctor

"[Former New Jersey Senator Bill] Bradley said the Dean campaign
quote, 'offers America new hope.' The Dean campaign also,
apparently, offers America new love as CBS's Richard Schlesinger
reports."
-- Anchor John Roberts introducing a Jan. 6 CBS Evening News story
about Dean supporters who met through the campaign's
Internet-organized "meet-ups."

Those Awful Eighties

"They were college classmates from the '60s, mourning the loss of
a friend and their idealism....It was 1983, a time of Reaganomics,
burgeoning yuppies, and the Decade of Greed."
-- NBC's Matt Lauer on the December 30 Today show, in a story on
the 20th anniversary of the film The Big Chill.

CNN Will Never Forget

"It is an absolute certainty that if Palm Beach had designed a
ballot that correctly reflected the views of the voters Al Gore
would be President of the United States today."
-- CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin on Inside Politics, January 8.

Mel Takes God Way Too Seriously

"I think at the heart of the controversy [over The Passion] is Mel
Gibson's extreme passion for his very ultra-conservative Catholic
faith, and Jewish leaders who are worried that a film about the
crucifixion could feed into anti-Semitism. That's at the heart of
it."
-- People's Jess Cagle on CBS's Early Show, January 8.

Tom's Bias Is Even More Wearying

  American University journalism professor Jane Hall: "The Media
Research Center, the conservative media watchdog group, has been
getting a lot of attention for its reports alleging liberal bias
in the media....What is the impact, do you think, of a steady
drumbeat of such criticism? Does it not have an impact on the
network?"
  Tom Brokaw: "It is a little wearying, but you've got to rise
above it and take it case by case. Most of the cases are pretty
flimsily made....What I get tired of is Brent Bozell [president of
the Media Research Center] trying to make these fine legal points
everywhere every day. A lot of it just doesn't hold up. So much of
it is that bias - like beauty - is in the eye of the beholder."
Hall: "So it hasn't impacted the way you cover stories?"
Brokaw: "No, it hasn't."
-- From an interview with Brokaw in the January/February issue of
the Columbia Journalism Review.

PUBLISHER: L. Brent Bozell III
EDITORS: Brent H. Baker, Rich Noyes, Tim Graham
NEWS ANALYSTS: Geoff Dickens, Jessica Anderson, Brian Boyd, Brad
    Wilmouth, Ken Shepherd, and Amanda Monson
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE: Kristina Sewell
DIRECTOR OF EDITORIAL SERVICES: Tim Jones

    END Reprint of January 19 Notable Quotables

    > The text of the February 2, 2004 edition of Notable
Quotables, Vol. Seventeen; No. 3:

John Kerry, Rabid Right-Winger?

"Senator, you just rolled out of Iowa with a great deal of success
and it reminded me that I had seen a letter in the pages of the
Iowa Daily yesterday, while you were there, written by a student
who said the following, if I may quote a little bit to you: 'John
Kerry voted yes for President Bush's Patriot Act, he voted yes for
Bush's No Child Left Behind, he voted yes for Bush,' these are his
words, 'to invade Iraq. If you support John Kerry for President
you might as well stay home on election day as Bush is already
doing a good job of leading America into a war and shredding the
Constitution.' Your reaction?"
-- Peter Jennings to John Kerry during ABC's live coverage
following the State of the Union address, January 20.

America, the New Evil Empire

"The Only Superbad Power: Three years into the presidency of
George W. Bush, many people here and abroad fear and loathe our
country, its power, its policies, its pride. Is America an evil
empire? Seven new books seem ready to think so."
-- Cover headline and subheadline of the New York Times Book
Review, January 25.

Bush Scared America's "Allies"

"There was a collective sigh of relief in Europe after the
President's State of the Union address. Partially because this
time there was no talk of new American military action anywhere,
unlike two years ago when he scared Europeans with his talk about
the 'Axis of Evil,' and unlike last year when Mr. Bush was about
to unleash war on Iraq. Still, Europeans find the President's talk
about God and good and evil very scary, so there wasn't much
President Bush could say to ingratiate himself to Europeans. That
is how badly he has alienated America's traditional allies, and
analysts here say that alienation is not going to change until Mr.
Bush leaves the White House."
-- CNN's Walter Rodgers on the January 21 Wolf Blitzer Reports,
summarizing European reaction to the State of the Union address .

Too Little Democratic Coverage?

"The rest of year and for the last three years the President has
dominated the news. Don't the Democrats deserve a few days in the
sunshine, if you will?"
-- CNN's Judy Woodruff to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist,
asking why the State of the Union was held during the Democratic
primaries, on Inside Politics, January 19.

Tax Cuts Cause Awful Deficits...

"On the domestic front, the President last night called for making
the tax cuts permanent. Is that, in a sense, making deficits in
the hundreds of billions of dollars permanent?"
-- ABC's Charles Gibson to White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card
on Good Morning America on January 21, the morning after Bush's
State of the Union address.

...But Bush Isn't Spending Enough

  President Bush: "The key is to train people for the work which
actually exists. No better place to do that than in a community
college. That's why we're spending $250 million to encourage
that."
  Terry Moran: "That $250 million amounts to small change in the
government's trillion-dollar budget. But it was the biggest ticket
item in the President's speech, which was marked by relatively
minor, but politically appealing initiatives: $23 million for drug
testing in schools; $135 million for abstinence education; $300
million for post-release assistance to ex-convicts; and a call to
end steroid use in pro sports, which costs nothing."
-- ABC's World News Tonight, January 21.

  Dean Reynolds: "The President's 21st century jobs proposal is an
about-face, after years in which his administration cut spending
on training. The new plan would devote $250 million to create
partnerships between community colleges and employers in such
high-demand fields as computer engineering and health care. But
critics say the money is not nearly enough."
  MIT Professor Tom Kochan: "This is a nice, symbolic gesture. But
we have a much, much bigger job to do than this amount of money
will ever achieve."
-- The very next story on the same broadcast.

Wishing for Watergate, Jr.

"School for scandal. Two Halliburton employees take $6 million in
kickbacks on a contract to supply U.S. troops in Iraq. The Supreme
Court agrees to hear a case about Vice President Cheney's energy
task force, and then Cheney goes hunting with Justice Scalia. And
Republican staffers on the Senate Judiciary Committee hack into
the computer files of Democratic staffers. Are any of these
Watergate, Jr.? We'll ask Carl Bernstein."
-- MSNBC's Keith Olbermann on his January 23 Countdown program.
Bernstein, the former Washington Post reporter who investigated
the Watergate scandal with Bob Woodward, rejected Olbermann's
analogy.

Promoting Liberal Condemnation

  Kelly O'Donnell: "Some call it the biggest divide and best
opportunity between all those Democrats and President Bush: the
environment. Consider this: The League of Conservation Voters
grades the President with the first 'F' in the group's 34-year
history."
  Deborah Callahan, League of Conservation Voters: "You don't get
an 'F' because you got one or two questions wrong when you're
tested. You get an 'F' because across the board you've failed."
  O'Donnell: "Mr. Bush withdrew from the Kyoto global warming
treaty. Environmentalists say harm has been done."
  Margaret Conway, Sierra Club, Political Director: "They are
weakening our clean air laws. They're weakening our clean water
laws."
  O'Donnell: "A perceived vulnerability that's off the radar now
while Democrats fight for survival in the primaries."
-- NBC Nightly News, January 15.

At Least He Recognizes His Bias

"The Dallas Morning News leads politics. 'A New Dean or the Old
One? Candidate's Ultra-Liberal Label May Peel Back to Reveal
Moderate Bent.' In fact, I think Dr. Dean is more moderate than
ultra-liberal, and so do a lot of other people. But I'll probably
get in trouble from conservatives for saying that."
-- CNN's Aaron Brown previewing selected articles from the next
day's newspapers, January 22 NewsNight.

The Media's Monetary Messiah

"He helped engineer the longest economic expansion in U.S.
history, eliminating the federal deficit and stabilizing foreign
markets....Robert Rubin still at top the top of his game, from
Wall Street to Washington, and back again."
-- Beginning and end of Anne Thompson's story about the former
Treasury Secretary's new book, In an Uncertain World, on the
January 10 NBC Nightly News.

Ready to Climb Mount Teddy

"The best reaction shots were those of Ted Kennedy, whose stature
seems to grow right along with his nose year after year after
year. Kennedy has now reached a grand moment in the life of a
senator; he looks like Hollywood itself cast him in the role.
Seriously....Kennedy looked great, like he was ready to take his
place next to Jefferson on Mount Rushmore. He gives off the kind
of venerable vibes that some of us got from an Everett Dirksen way
back when."
-- Washington Post TV critic Tom Shales in a January 21 Style
section review of the State of the Union address.

Only the "Lucky" Have Insurance

"Wesley Clark, Joe Lieberman and Dennis Kucinich were at a forum
in Manchester, New Hampshire today talking to voters about health
care, the lack of it. And the expense for those lucky enough to
have it."
-- Tom Brokaw on the January 23 NBC Nightly News.

Booing Bush's "Unilateralism"

"President Bush has unilaterally appointed a controversial judge
to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Democrats are very angry
that Mr. Bush installed Charles Pickering. He's used what's called
a recess appointment that will last until the next Congress takes
office, made when Congress was not in session. Democrats accuse
Pickering of opposing civil rights and bringing a conservative
agenda to the bench. Senator Kennedy said for the Democrats today,
'The President's appointment serves only to emphasize again this
administration's shameful opposition to civil rights.'"
-- Peter Jennings on World News Tonight, January 16.

...but Clapping for Clinton's

"At the White House today, President Clinton bypassed Congress and
appointed lawyer Roger Gregory to the U.S. Court of Appeals for
the 4th Circuit. Mr. Gregory will be the first African-American on
the court. The President has nominated four African-Americans to
the 4th Circuit, but Republicans in Congress would not hold
confirmation hearings. Now that Congress is not in session, Mr.
Clinton used his powers to make what's called a recess
appointment."
-- Then-ABC fill-in anchor Aaron Brown on World News Tonight,
December 27, 2000.

Don't Treat Dean Like Quayle

Katie Couric: "You probably know the late night comedians have
been having a ball at Howard Dean's expense for his raucous caucus
night speech on Monday. Well, last night, Dean went on Letterman
to poke a little fun at himself but it didn't stop Jay Leno from
having some more fun....Anyway, let's hope all the jokes are going
to soon be over for Howard Dean."
Al Roker: "Hopefully, today."
Lester Holt: "The scream heard around the world, huh?"
-- NBC's Today, January 23.

Thanks for the Confirmation

"Where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say
'child molester.'"
-- ABC 20/20 co-anchor John Stossel to CNSNews.com reporter Robert
Bluey, in a story posted January 28.

PUBLISHER: L. Brent Bozell III
EDITORS: Brent H. Baker, Rich Noyes, Tim Graham
NEWS ANALYSTS: Geoff Dickens, Jessica Anderson, Brian Boyd, Brad
    Wilmouth, Ken Shepherd, and Amanda Monson
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE: Kristina Sewell
DIRECTOR OF EDITORIAL SERVICES: Tim Jones

    END Reprint of February 2 Notable Quotables

-- Brent Baker

    >>> Support the MRC, an educational foundation dependent upon
contributions which make CyberAlert possible, by providing a tax-
deductible donation. To safely and securely donate via PayPal:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&i
tem_name=Media+Research+Center&item_number=Media+Research+Center&n
o_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

    Or, if you can't get the lengthy link into your browser's
address line, go to the MRC's home page
( http://www.mediaresearch.org ) and click on the gold "Support
the MRC" logo in the top right corner. That will take you to the
same place.

    To subscribe to CyberAlert, go to:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cybersub.asp

    Or, send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

    To unsubscribe, use the link at the very bottom of this
message.

    Send problems and comments to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    You can learn what has been posted each day on the MRC's Web
site by subscribing to the "MRC Web Site News" distributed every
weekday afternoon. To subscribe, go to:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cybersub.asp#webnews <<<

Delivered by Topica:
   http://www.topica.com/?p=T3FOOTER