-Caveat Lector-

In news:internal.ml.new-age.ctrl, Adam Ness <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
on Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:04:54 -0800:

> Squad helps dog bite victim
> Red-hot star to wed astronomer
> Helicopter powered by human flies
> Once-sagging cloth diaper industry saved by full dumps
> America pushes bottle up Iraqis
>
> Obviously, each of those sentences can have at least two, if not more
> meanings.  Humans have enough knowledge about the world to decided that the
> squad wasn't helping the dog bite people, or that the red hot star was a
> celebrity rather than an actual celestial body.  A computer doesn't have that
> knowledge though, and can't interpret those sentences correctly.

Well, those aren't really grammatically correct unless you're Tarzan or
an Indian Chief.  I think the languaged used would have to be literal.
And debugging might be even easier.  The software could simply report to
the programmer, "I don't understand this sentence" and highlight the
appropriate statement.  The programmer would examine his sentence and
find a better way to word it.  And it wouldn't be that the computer
requires very strict adherence to a set of rules, which is the problem
with current programming languages, but the sentences used would have to
be literal and grammatically correct, and the spelling would have to be
correct, too, but we already have spell checkers.  We already have
grammar checkers, too.

> Additionally, passive voice is often difficult for computer natural language
> systems.
>
> "Could you open my file for me?" be answered with a verbal "Yes" or by
> opening the file is the most simplistic example, but I'm sure this
> intelligent crowd can come up with some better examples.

The computer could be told to operate in "polite mode" which would accept
an asking as a commmand.  Statements beginning with "Would you" or "Could
you" or "Can you" would be executed based optionally on an assumption
that if the human unit is asking if a file can be opened, then he
obviously wants it to be opened.

Those who like to feel powerful can operate in standard command mode.
That way, the computer would interpret "Could you open my file for me" as
a question about its ability to open the file, and the computer would
respond with "Yes".  If the human really wants the file opened, he would
say, "Computer.  Open my file."  He could name the computer anything if
he doesn't want to sound like Captain Picard all the time.  "Computer.
Your name is now Jason.  Jason.  Open my file!"

...your file is opened.

"Jason!  Open the letter I wrote last night to Mother."

Well, if there's no indication of who your mom is in the filename, then
the computer would search all files created by your word processor last
night.  If it can't find a reference to "Mom" then it would reply, "I
can't seem to find that file.  Can you be more specific?"  Hey, a
computer that can interpret English should certainly be able to speak it
in a conversational manner.

The most depressing part about this conversation is the fact that I
listened to an archived Coast to Coast AM show with Alex Jones of
Infowars as the guest.  Good grief!  If everything he's talking about is
really happening, I'd be surprised to see 6 GHz Athlon CPU's on the
market.

--
Sayonaramaste
Damon Richter