-Caveat Lector-

nessie wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> >He did, however, invent
>
> They way I heard it he hired a staff, they did the inventing, and he took
> the credit. If so, he invented the modern research paradigm, a monumental
> feat in and of itself.

People who think that Edison hired a bunch of people and then sat back
and got all the credit haven't dealt with inventors. I have known dozens
and have invented things myself. Most inventors have dozens of projects
which they need help in creating. They come up with the basic idea, but
realize that there are technical problems which need to be solved. In
Edison's case, there were many experiments that needed to be done. Doing
those experiments is not inventing, deciding what experiments need to be
done is the crucial part of inventing. Edison is known to have done
that. Certainly if you go to the story of how he invented the phonograph
you would understand better that he was the sole inventor. Yes, he did
bring a sketch to Bachelor and asked him to make it. And Baetchlor
probably made some refinements based upon what Edison was trying to do.
But it was purely Edison'ss idea and even he was surprised when it
worked the first time. No doubt, that there were some claims on his
patents that should have been attributed to others. However, I don't
think that Edison was humble enough to work on others inventions. And
that is what you and others are suggesting. Inventors don't work for
money or publicity as most of you seem to think. They are useful, but
inventors see problems and want to find solutions to them. Edison was an
inventor. You can read his history and see that there were many
inventions that he developed long before he hired helpers. He saw
problems and he tried to solve them. Many of those solutions are still
benefittingg us today.

Howard Davis