-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

The Tapestry of Monetary Collapse

The Daily Reckoning

Baltimore, Maryland

Wednesday, 2 June 2004

---------------------

*** Bubble Fatigue... enjoy the picnic on Vesuvius... but
don't forget the 3 bubble rules...

*** Money supply soaring... arms flying... even in Baltimore,
houses are taking off...

*** Empire... can Americans hack it? World's top
cities... food shortage? And more!

---------------------

Bubble Fatigue.

The latest money supply figures show yet another bubble
expanding; M3 is increasing at a breathtaking 20% annual
rate. In the last 4 weeks, M3 has gone up $155 billion. If
this were to keep up, the nation's total money supply would
rise by $2 trillion in a year's time - an amount equal,
roughly, to a fifth of national output.

But how long can it continue?

You will recall, dear reader, that Alan Greenspan has made
a pact with the devil... and George W. Bush has made a pact
with Alan Greenspan. They will both do all they can to keep
the bubble expanding - at least until after the election.
And now, with the war in Iraq going about as well as you
might have expected, the economy has become more important
than ever. If by ballot day, things seem to be going badly
on both bubble fronts, things will also go badly for
America's bubble president on Election Day.

But we are getting a little tired of bubbles. They seem to
expand... and expand... and expand some more. Every time we
expect them to deflate, they merely get bigger.

"You won't believe what is happening to real estate - even
here in Baltimore," said a friend yesterday. "In your old
neighborhood, they sold a house recently for over $300,000.
It's unbelievable."

Unbelievable it is. A few years ago, they couldn't even
give houses away in many parts of Baltimore. Seriously. The
mayor tried it. He condemned hundreds of abandoned houses
and tried to give them away for $1 each. Many of them found
no takers.

The catch was you had to agree to live in them.

But now even Baltimore, which, until recently, was in a
real estate bear market that began in the 1920s, is
enjoying the bubbly world of the early 21st century. People
not only want to live in inner-city houses, they want to
pay a lot for them.

"In Hampden, [a run-down area of tiny houses built for mill
workers in the last century], they're selling houses for
$150,000," our friend continued.

Bubbles to the left of us, bubbles to the right of us,
bubbles in front of us...  How long will it be before one of
them blows up?

We have grown weary of waiting. Budget deficits, trade
deficits, consumer borrowing - the trends we thought would
barely last another day now appear almost eternal. A kind
of 'bubble fatigue' has set in. Like a crowd on the slopes
of Vesuvius, we have all given up watching. Ignoring the
smoke and ash, we go about our business... forgetting that
the volcano could erupt at any minute.

"There are three rules for bubbles," writes Jim Jubak.

Rule #1 is that they continue much longer than you expect.

Rule #2 is that they expand faster near the end of the
cycle... so just when you think they should have ended long
ago, they seem more robust than ever.

Rule #3 is that no one wants to admit when it's over.

Like us, Jubak is not sure when the bubble period will
finally end, but he thinks we must be getting near.
Countrywide Financial reports a huge surge in adjustable
rate mortgages - up 130% over last year. The credit bubble
is expanding so fast, it must be nearing its pin.
Likewise, General Motors has seen a big increase in its
finance division. Making and selling cars is hard work, but
financing cars, houses and insurance contracts is a piece
of cake. GMAC now contributes 2 out of every 3 dollars of
GM's profits... with more than half of the financing profits
completely unrelated to the auto business.

"One of the most frustrating things about this market and
about the interlocking relationships so characteristic of
our financial system is that it is so hard to figure out
who will get left holding the bag," writes Jubak. "I am
certain, however, that this isn't the time for investors to
let their guard down. This bubble is unlikely to break with
the kind of pop that took down the entire stock market in
2000. But it is even less likely to deflate gently and
without any pain."

Over to Addison for more news:

--------------

Addison Wiggin, from Baltimore, the greatest city in
America...

- Like a pair of snarling hyenas, fighting for the last
scraps of flesh from a rotting carcass, the U.S. and China
are desperately competing for scarce resources. Who will
win this battle of the mangy dogs? The story begins down
south, in the sunshine state...

- In Florida, construction projects have been put on hold,
contractors are panicking and cement is nowhere to be
found. It's all being sucked up by China. The reason is
simple: An economy the size of France or Italy is growing
at rates usually reserved for small island economies; China
grew at a 9.8% annual growth rate in the first three months
of the year.

- China has 4,813 cement plants, more than the rest of the
world combined, and they still don't have enough. Projects
like the Three Gorges Dam and Beijing Olympics forced China
to gobble up 55% of the world's supply of cement, 40% of
its steel, and 25% of its aluminum. Yesterday we learned
that, in Shanghai, real estate prices rose by 28.3% in the
first quarter, according to the Detroit Free Press, causing
the local bureaucrats to ban developers from selling
apartments before they have been built... these are more
than mere details for our Pao Mo file... they're affecting
markets all over the world.

- Of course, to the astute reader of the Daily Reckoning,
none of these statistics will come as any surprise. You
know as well as anyone that this story is not a new one.
Stories of cargo ships waiting to dock and chronic power
outages have been flogged to death by the media.

- But over on the other side of the globe, the U.S. is also
expanding rapidly. The good numbers just keep on rolling
in... yesterday another strong reading from the ISM Index
was released. The reported number came out at 62.8, the
seventh straight reading above 60, and further proof of a
robust turnaround in the manufacturing sector.

- And what about this just out - global chip sales grew by
4.1% in April - the strongest growth since late 2000...

- Or this from the Dismalscientist.com, released yesterday,
"Construction spending soared 1.3% in April, blowing away
consensus calls for a modest 0.4% rise in building
activity, and setting the stage for a strong start to the
second quarter. March's already strong preliminary estimate
was also revised up sharply."

- The good news didn't have much impact on the markets, but
then again, it never does these days... still, stocks staged
a strong late-day rally. The Nasdaq turned in the warmest
performance, gaining 4 points, up 0.2% to 1,991. The Dow
and the S&P, for all intents and purposes, finished flat
despite the initial sell off in the morning. At session
close, they stood at 10,203 and 1,121 respectively.

- As flippantly as ever, market sentiment towards China has
also changed from positive to negative. "Some analysts fear
that, if unchecked, the investment boom could collapse,
similar to the collapse of the high-tech bubble in 2000,"
warns the Detroit Free Press article by Ken Moritsugu and
Tim Johnson.

- Their fears are not unfounded; authorities in Beijing
have been making some noises of their own... unlike their
counterparts in the U.S., they recognize the bubble
potential and are taking steps to restrain it. Officials
have already moved to restrict some of the more aggressive
lending practices in use by state-owned banks, which,
according to reports, maybe hold bad loans equivalent to
40% of their asset base.

- Fortunately, here at the Daily Reckoning, we don't need
to base our investment decisions on hearsay - we have a
fresh report from our man in Asia, Dan Denning.

- Are the fears of Pao Mo warranted? Not so, says Dan.
"First, all that worry about China cooling down and a soft
landing is misplaced. The real story is that the government
is turning over more and more control of the economy to
market forces. You can break it down into two broad
categories: financial services and agriculture. And in
these two areas, there is huge opportunity for investors
without the risk of a bubble." [Ed.Note: You'll recall that
we sent Dan on a grueling 11-week foray into the cities and
jungles of East Asia. Having now completed the 'China' leg
of his voyage - Dan had to sign an agreement not to do any
reporting or journalism while he was in China - we now have
full access to Dan's thoughts on the emerging giant. To
receive Dan's travel blog by email - it's free - see
here...

http://www.strategicinvestment.com/DDBlogFR.cfm ]

- Now that both the Chinese and American economies are
running on full power - competing for cement, oil, and
other resources - action in the commodity trading pits
promises to be volatile for quite some time to come.

--------------

Bill Bonner, back in... Baltimore!

*** Wait, Addison is in Baltimore. And so is your editor.

"What's it like being back in Baltimore," we asked our
formerly Paris-based colleague. Americans in France become
euro-snobs; returning to the U.S. they find that nothing
quite measures up. Life is easier, but not as nice. People
take their politics too seriously back home, and their
meals not seriously enough.

"Well, the transition was easy. We used to live here, of
course. But it was almost too easy coming back. It was a
little like putting on an old pair of socks."

*** Can we Americans 'hack it,' dear reader?

Not according to Niall Ferguson, author of "Colossus: The
Price of America's Empire." Ferguson seems to like the idea
of an American empire. But he just doesn't think Americans
are up to it.

"The greatest of today's maritime-industrial powers, the
United States, has projected itself right into the center
of this vortex, and to a degree that would have astonished
the Founding Fathers, Teddy Roosevelt, Wilson, FDR, and
Eisenhower," writes Paul Kennedy in his review of
Ferguson's book. "Department of Defense reports on overseas
deployments vary from month to month, but, roughly
speaking, there are 130,000 American troops in Iraq, about
30,000 in Kuwait, and 15,000 in Afghanistan. The United
States is using air bases and training bases in Turkey,
Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan. It has gone further into the
Heartland than Lord Curzon might ever have imagined an
offshore power could do."

But do Americans have what it takes to run an empire?
Probably not.

First, we don't have the money. Ferguson repeats what we
have been saying in the Daily Reckoning for the last 5
years: America's empire is built on a bubble of debt,
deficits and self-delusion. Some day... it will blow up and
blow away.

But Ferguson offers another interesting reason why
Americans cannot hack the job of being an imperial power
for very long; we don't have the guts. Kennedy explains:
"[They] do not have the social, cultural, and political
strength to produce a ruling class that would benignly
administer Iraq for the seventy or so years that, for
example, the British administered Egypt. The sons of the
British elite competed fiercely to get into the India Civil
Service, the Colonial Service, the Sudan Service. Nowadays,
he [Ferguson] says, Harvard and Yale graduates are going
off to law school or to Wall Street. Besides, which members
of the proselytizing neocon elite have ever served in the
military, or have children in the military? How many
members of the U.S. Senate have a child in the military?
Which of our vigorous neocons are willing to send off their
daughters to rule Mosul for the next thirty years? We are
still under the shadow of Vietnam. And so, Ferguson teases
us: we should be an imperial nation, but we haven't the
guts to be one. What's more, if we decide to follow the
path of Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and become the new
Western empire in the Middle East, we will be stuck there
for ages. And one day, like Curzon and Cromer and the rest,
we will have to go. Heads you lose, tails you don't win.
You are, Ferguson charges, an empire in denial; but you
cannot properly attend your new estates."

*** America's empire may be headed for extinction... but
that doesn't mean we Americans can't have a good time, just
not in our beloved Homeland, apparently. Alas, Tyler Brule,
in the Financial Times, lists the world's best cities to
live in. Two are in Australia. Not a one is in North
America: Sydney, London, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Melbourne,
Stockholm, Beirut, Zurich, Sao Paulo and Paris.

*** Forget empire... worry about getting enough to eat, says
MoneyWeek editor Merryn Somerset-Webb. Currently, China is
competing with the West for jobs and resources. Oil, for
example, rose to $42.33 a barrel yesterday. Soon, China's
billion-plus citizens will be competing for food. Food
prices will rise, says Somerset-Webb. Buy farmland?

--- Advertisement ---

How One e-mail a week -- and Three minutes each Monday
morning -- could make you as much as $182,750 in 2004.
In fact, subscribers who see these e-mails have had an
opportunity to pocket up to $852,350 in cash over the
past 4 years. Now you can join them, as this "Bonafide
Options Genius" reveals his Superleverage strategy for
trouncing the market week in, week out...

http://www.agora-inc.com/reports/OHL/WOHLE503/

---------------------

The Daily Reckoning PRESENTS: Central Banks have been
collapsing for centuries. Pop Quiz: which country witnessed
the world's first central bank meltdown? Ancient Greece,
The Romans, China, England... or none of the above? Read
on...

THE TAPESTRY OF MONETARY COLLAPSE
by Chris Mayer

The view here at Capital & Crisis is that the patterns of
economic boom and bust emerge from an unstable loam, too
saturated with the oils of monetary intervention. Interest
rates and money no longer manifest the natural underlying
demand of consumers, nor do they provide accurate signals
regarding the core supply of capital. What emerges is a
distorted pattern of production, a mishmash of mis-priced
capital, too soft to harden into a sound and sturdy
foundation. The beacon, which the market uses to allocate
capital, has become errant and is leading the market onto
the rocks.

The threads of this story form a grand tapestry that will
one day tell a sorry tale of monetary collapse. For the
time being, we can explore the tapestry in bits and pieces,
as one might examine the shards left in the trail of a
twister, wondering how it came to be and where it will
strike next. Today, we start at the very beginning...

The Granddaddy of central banks was probably the Swedish
Riksbank. Originally chartered as a private bank in 1656,
it would collapse eight years later due to bad loans, at
least some of which were due from the government. After no
buyers could be found for the decrepit floundering
institution, the Bank was reorganized in 1668 under the
authority of Parliament.

As the only bank in Sweden, it enjoyed special privileges
as the only issuer of paper money, but it was still
required to redeem those notes in gold. It paid for its
charter, though, with an agreement to lend money to the
government.

After decades of practicing its leechcraft upon the people
of Sweden, it ran into grave trouble again in 1720. The
government of Sweden had once again failed to make good on
its obligation to the bank and the Riksbank was unable to
meet its requirements for redemption from a nervous
citizenry.

This time Parliament came to the rescue, with what would be
a key and defining characteristic of central banks - it
granted the Riksbank's notes the status of legal tender.
This meant that the Swedes had to accept its notes to
satisfy any claims of payment at par value, even though in
the market the notes traded at heavy discounts to face
value since it was rather well known that the bank's
treasury was light on gold.

The Riksbank was an early creaky prototype for what would
become, in countries all over the world, 'the modern
central bank.' It resembles the Federal Reserve in that it
was created by an act of the legislature and that it
enjoyed legal tender status on all its notes.
Monopoly and privilege would define central banks from the
very beginning, as various steely-eyed historians and
clear-seeing economists have pointed out.

The scholar Vera Smith was one of these, as well as being a
sharp critic of central banking dogma in general. She wrote
her doctoral dissertation under the supervision of
Friedrich von Hayek at the London School of Economics. This
work was published in 1936 as 'The Rational of Central
Banking.' Despite the fact that the book is now nearly
seventy years old, it remains an interesting and critical
account of the formative years of central banking. As Smith
surveys the development of central banking in a number of
western countries, she convincingly makes the point that
central banks emerged from "a combination of political
motives and historical accident" as opposed to emerging
from any sound economic principles or theoretical
foundations. As she puts it, "A central bank is not a
natural product of banking development... [it] comes into
being as a result of government favours."

Central banking has always been tied to, enmeshed with, and
a part of, the exigencies of state finance. Its power
emanates from its status as a legal and protected monopoly
issuer of legal tender notes, which as Smith points out,
was a very welcome weapon in the armory of the state.

It was for later generations to adorn it with the tinsel of
necessity, and adorn it they did. The arguments for central
banking have grown more sophisticated over time, as the
central banks themselves have become tightly woven in the
fabric of accepted, and even desirable, social
institutions. As Smith noted in 1936, (and it still holds
today), "in the present century centralized banking systems
have come to be regarded as the usual concomitant, if not
one of the conditions of the attainment of economic
development."

The central bank of today enjoys a prominent place in world
finance that would have shocked even the early advocates of
central banking.

Smith notes, too, the irony that when laissez-faire
thinking was at its apogee in other industries, banking was
still carved out as a special business, even by otherwise
ardent free-traders and thinkers. It was from the beginning
given an exempt status, which the principles of free trade
seemed unable to penetrate from a public policy point of
view.

This was one of the unfortunate turns of history, where one
can only imagine what might have been had banking been able
to develop along more natural lines.

For example, as Smith notes, the accumulation of privilege
by favored proto-central banks had the effect of squeezing
out competitive banks. In England, the Bank of England
enjoyed such a special position that private note issue was
abandoned by about 1780. Moreover, smaller banks began
keeping balances at the Bank of England, thereby giving it
even more the characteristic look of a central bank. Though
Bank of England notes were not declared legal tender until
1812, its notes were, for practical purposes, accepted as
such for many years prior.

In America, a series of crises - Smith lists 1873, 1884,
1890, 1893, and 1907 - fueled debate about America's
haphazard banking network, which involved a two-tiered
system of national and state banks. The serial crises put
the spotlight on the nation's banking system, which was
criticized for being inflexible and slow to issue notes in
times of need. As Smith notes, "Its failings were
summarized under the term 'inelasticity.' This is a term
which has frequently had a dangerous connotation, being
more often than not a cloak for the advocacy of inflation."

The problems of course stemmed not from the banks being too
slow or inflexible, as Smith alludes to, but from the fact
that they were loose and liberal to begin with. Fractional-
reserve banking assures that, at times, some banks will be
over-extended and unable to make good on their specie
requirements. In the panic of 1907, suspensions of payments
lasted over two months in some cases, which led to, as one
might imagine, some angry depositors.

Smith also points out that the role of providing relief in
times of crisis was often taken up by the Treasury, a
principle that had been established as early as 1846. Smith
documents the Treasury's actions in 1873, 1884, and again
in 1907, which largely consisted of the Treasury providing
funds to national banks either by purchasing bonds or
prepaying interest on the national debt. So you see here
the very beginnings of today's open market operations,
which are carried out by the Fed.

The point here is to show that by 1913, the birth year of
the Federal Reserve, central banking was not a novel idea.
It was a very old idea, borrowed from Europe, without
logical or well thought out principles guiding its
creation, but political ambition, expediency and exigency
at the helm. Central banks allow concerted inflating of
bank reserves and credit, which is a source of great
profits for banks as well as terrific fertilizer for the
growth of future crises. Central banks also allow the
banking system to enjoy the unwritten rule that the
government will cover its backside during times of crisis.

The modern sheathing of central banking in fine-spun
theoretical regalia occurred after the fact by self-
important bureaucrats and ambitious courtesans. Today, the
central bank has put itself at the center of every
discussion regarding the economy. Widely held as the key
steward of the nation's interest rates and economic health,
the Fed Chairman enjoys fame near the level of the
President of the United States, with his every whisper
subject to endless interpretation by pundits and others.

And yet, despite its position of power, prestige and
privilege, the economy lies still beyond the grasp of the
central bank. The bank can influence, but it cannot
control. It can turn on the hose, but it can't aim it. The
real danger arises when it thinks it can.

Regards,

Chris Mayer
for The Daily Reckoning

Editor's note: Christopher W. Mayer is a veteran of the
banking industry, specifically in the area of corporate
lending. His essays have appeared in a wide variety of
publications, from the Mises.org Daily Article series to
here in The Daily Reckoning. He is also the author of
"Capital and Crisis," a recently launched investment
advisory for contrarian-minded financial observers. For
details, see:

Capital & Crisis
http://www.capitalandcrisis.net

--- Advertisement ---

You Could Make Four Times Your Money as Hear Disease is
Wiped Out

Drug Giant Merck Hits New 52-Week Low...  and No Wonder!
This small U.S. company could wipe out one of the most
deadly ailments known to Western Culture, stealing $14.5
Billion of sales from big pharmaceuticals. Those who act
today could make 465% in 6 Months With or Without FDA
Approval. Get the details now...

http://www.agora-inc.com/reports/VPI/WVPIE501/

MAKE YOUR OPINIONS COUNT! Visit our Discussion Board:

http://www.agora-inc.com/forums/index.cfm?cfapp=3

If you'd like, please e-mail this issue of the Daily
Reckoning to a friend:

http://www.dailyreckoning.com/emailfriend.cfm?id=9270

Are you having trouble receiving your Daily Reckoning?
You can ensure its arrival in your mailbox here:

http://www.dailyreckoning.com/whitelist.cfm

http://www.dailyreckoning.com/subsvcs.cfm

Our writers and contributors also welcome your questions
and comments. Simply reply to this e-mail with the word
'Question' or 'Comment' in the Subject of your reply.

*******
Please note: We sent this e-mail to:
    RA Millegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
because you or someone using your e-mail address subscribed to this service.

*******
To manage your e-mail subscription, use our web interface at:
    http://www.agoramail.net/Home.cfm?List=RealityC
To cancel or for any other subscription issues, write us at:
    Order Processing Center
    Attn: Customer Service
    P.O. Box 925
    Frederick, MD 21705 USA