-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---

AUDREY'S MISSILES
A weekly newsletter dedicated to the peaceful
reform of the United States government.
THAT CARD AGAIN

         We floated a trial balloon.  We sent requests for price quotations
on a list of specific drugs to three pharmacies in Central
California.   The request included questions on State and Federal
discounts, and they were put in the US mail.  When a week passed with no
we asked these retailers if they were refusing to give price
information.  This pressure brought limited results.  Yes, they did quote
the prices on the list of drugs, but no, they did not give out any
information at all regarding the discounts.  No retailer signed the
quotes.  Why?  We know that drug companies and other card providers can
change prices each week on the drugs they supply, even to Medicare
cardholders.  They can also change the lists of drugs on which discounts
are available, but the cardholder is stuck with what he or she bought
(except for that very limited time window at the end of the year when
changing cards costs another thirty dollars).  The setup is plainly
unfair.   It gives rise to the possibility of the old fraud called "bait
and switch".  In fact, Mark McClellan, head of CMS (Centers for Medicare &
Medicaid Services) has said that they will monitor transactions to make
sure that a consumer does not buy a card after having been assured that the
card offers a discount on the particular drug he buys, only to find out
later that the offer has been dropped.  One retailer told me that he would
not know how much the discount would be until he "plugged in" the
customer's card in his computer.  (Customer is supposed to  buy a card
without knowing what the prices or the discount will be?)  We wonder just
how CMS can possibly monitor the many millions of transactions
involved.  Yes, a consumer can complain to Medicare, but since the law
permits bait and switch will that complaint have any real effect?  When we
called, the people on the telephone line at Medicare refused to send
information either by e-mail or fax.  When the consumer cannot get
necessary information in writing, how can he file a complaint?

         They know they can be sued, and so the word probably went out,
"Don't put anything in writing."  If it can be proved that incorrect or
misleading information is given either by the retailer or the people at
Medicare, a lawsuit could involve everyone in the distribution chain for
that particular purchase.  Another possible reason for withholding
information on discounts could be that the pharmacist does not have it
either!  Although the people at Medicare assured me that they did not think
that this would be a problem, there is also the possibility that some
retailers might not be passing that discount on to the customer.  It seems
that everyone in the business knows that the setup is a raw deal and an
invitation to fraud.   Congress has passed a law which makes fraud simple,
easy, and even legal!   It is further proof, if anyone needed proof by
now,  that our Congress has been bought and paid for by the drug industry.

Just a footnote:  The AARP endorsed and helped to get the 2003 Medicare
Bill through the Congress.

SEND US E-MAIL ADDRESSES
It is our hope that the information in this newsletter will be copied and
distributed widely.  Topics covered are those which are not adequately
treated on TV or in the press.  The Fax edition of AUDREYS MISSILES is
distributed only in the 209 calling area, but the e-mail edition is
published world-wide on the internet.  Both editions are free.  Fax 209
847-7588 or write [EMAIL PROTECTED] to comment, or to join or leave
the lists.

======================================
Audrey's Missiles is an moderated
maillist about government reform.
To join or leave send e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
TO:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: (un)subscribe audreys-missiles

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/aQSolB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/