-Caveat Lector-

Please do not distribute this information without its background
documentation information.

The following is from the book "Witness to Barbarism" by Horace R. Hansen,
copyright 2002, Thousand Pinetree Press,  Grey Eagle, MN, Library of
Congress Control Number 2002115166, ISBN 0-9720849-0-8

The introduction, from www.horacehansen.com

Introduction

Look at the universe, the planets and stars millions of light years away,
moving in exact orbits. What is man compared to  that? Nothing but a louse .
. . You can smash it.

- Adolf Hitler, at a wartime military conference

Fifty years after Hitler lost his bid to rule the world, we struggle to
understand his contempt for all human life, even for his own  people. That
he could run two wars at once - for the conquest of territory and the
genocide of the Jews - without noticing that  the efforts mutually limited
each other - is difficult to fathom. But he gave plenty of warning about his
intent. In his early writing  and on an almost daily basis at his wartime
conferences, he revealed deep-seated nihilism in speeches like the one
above,  again and again. No wonder the military losses (his own and
others'), the concentration camp deaths, and the extermination  of millions
of Jews, Gypsies, Communists, intellectuals, homosexuals, labor leaders, and
others didn't bother him.

While we would prefer to forget about the suffering inflicted by this man
and his deputies, we cannot. For even in the face of  international memory -
made vivid through the opening of the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.,
the debut of Steven  Spielberg's film Shindler's List and the 50th
anniversary of the end of World War II - Neo-Nazis and others claim the
Holocaust never occurred.

Now we are beginning to hear, on a grand scale, the stories of the
thousands, representing silenced millions more, who  suffered in the face of
Hitler's insanity. Finally, many who had been silent have decided they must
give testimony before it is  too late. Finally, in Willmar, Minnesota, for
example, eyewitnesses gather at the request of history teacher William F.
Borth  for "A Night of Remembrance" before an audience packed into a local
auditorium.

Here Dachau slave laborer Monsignor Stanislaus Grabrowski says, "What is
hunger? It's not appetite. Hunger you feel with  every fiber of your mind
and body. There is such an emptiness. It is difficult to think. We prayed
that our skin and bones  would be saved and that somehow we would be filled
in.

"There is no way to really describe it. If you ever try to talk to a blind
person about colors describing the beauty of nature, the  blind person would
not understand because he never saw it. It was a daily struggle to survive
and a daily danger of being  killed. There were over 2,000 priests taken to
Dachau. When the Americans liberated us, we were 860."

And concentration-camp prisoner Fred Baron describes his journey by train to
Auschwitz. "The guards drive us with clubs,  dogs, and weapons until each
car was filled to capacity-then they closed the sliding doors. I found
myself in pitch black  darkness . . . There was no food, no water, and
worst, no sanitary facilities . . . It took us several hours before we
devised a  method whereby half of us in the car would keep standing while
the other half would squat in each other's lap, to be able to  rest our
bones. The trip took us three days and three nights. There were men, women,
old and young, and children. In our  car, people died and went insane."

There are others here as elsewhere: William Landgren, formerly a U.S.
Infantry company commander, describes bodies  piled by the crematory at
Dachau when the American troops liberated the camp in April 1945. I am here,
too, to recount  discoveries made during the prosecution of Nazi war
criminals at the Dachau trials and during my interviews with five of the
stenographers who recorded Hitler's military conferences.

But I realize that saying what I know is not enough. This evening's program
is a response to hate mail and newsletters  denying the Holocaust, demanding
the resignation of Bill Borth, and threatening his family because he teaches
high-school  seniors a course (in its 12th years as I write this) on
Hitler's quest for territory and extermination of the Jews. Without our
stories - told again and again - and without an easily accessible record of
the things we have seen and heard, our young  people will find it too easy
to believe the disbelievers and rest content that such evil could never
happen anywhere, much  less here. (See appendix.)

Too often we have been content to let others do our thinking, to be
uninvolved in controversy. Such complacency - evidenced  by poor voting
records, for example - could leave us ripe for a government and Holocaust
like Hitler's. Leading a flock of  sheep is, after all, easier that
controlling a lot of strays. Without knowledge of the past, ourselves, and
human nature, and  with economic depression, street riots, and a strong
president, we could permit a dictatorship by default. (See appendix.)

And so I bear witness along with others now gone, who have told their
stories to me. A bit of background seem in order:  Born Horace Russell
Hansen on February 20, 1910, I am the son of Richard and Dagny Elizabeth
Hammer Hansen of St.  Paul, Minnesota. My father was a tailor, my mother a
homemaker, and I the first of their four children. I grew up on Marshall
Avenue, attending Richard Gordon School and Central High School.

After preparatory classes at the University of Minnesota, I entered the St.
Paul College of Law (William Mitchell College of  Law) in the fall that the
Great Depression started with a crash - 1929. Four years later, just after I
was admitted to the bar, a  family friend who was head of the Minnesota
Industrial Commission, called me:

"How would you like to be an attorney in the Workers' Compensation Division?
It pays $175 a month."

"Wow," I thought. "Big bucks in hard times!"

Representing injured workers before a referee became my primary task, and I
soon found the work to require knowledge of  more than the law. So I began
to take courses in anatomy and physiology at the University of Minnesota
School of Medicine  - two evening hours twice a week for two years. What I
learned took the mystique out of doctors' testimony and gave me an  edge in
court.

During that time, I also represented the State of Minnesota in U.S. District
Court in plans for reorganization of insolvent  insurance companies so that
workers compensation awards (after trial) would be fully paid. My
contention, that the awards  should be treated as unpaid wages entitled to
priority, prevailed.

In 1936, I joined the staff of the Office of the Ramsey County Attorney, for
which I handled arraignments and tried felony jury  cases. After six years
in that office and shortly after Japan attacked the United States at Pearl
Harbor, I decided to joint the  army.

After personal training to the position of a second lieutenant, I trained
others in Alabama and Mississippi, then was sent to  England in May 1944. I
traveled with the army across northern Europe - France, Belgium, Holland,
and Germany - as the  Allied forces defeated Germany, sending home monthly
records of what I saw.

Assigned to war-crimes investigation in January 1945, I arrived at the
Dachau concentration camp on October 1, 1945, and  was named chief
prosecutor (chief of staff) at the trial facilities there. Mine was the
decision as to which of 32,000 camp  administrators and workers should stand
trial for war crimes. In addition to gather pretrial evidence, I attended
and heard  most of the testimony at the trials. Again, I took copious note;
these have been verified by the official record of the trials,  presented in
part in the latter portion of this volume.

On my staff of 65 at Dachau were five of the eight recorders who took down
verbatim Hitler's military-situation conferences.  Unable to reach their
families in Berlin because of Russian advances at the end of the war, they
offered to act as translators  at war-crimes trials. During off-hours I
questioned these highly educated men (three had doctorates), recording their
answers in speedwriting. The five non-Nazi recorders gave me insight into
and information (some of it never reported  elsewhere) about how Hitler rose
to power, established dictatorship, and directed his war.

My story comprises an eyewitness report (including personal photos) of my
journey across Europe with the liberating forces,  the testimony of trial
witnesses heard firsthand, and personal interview with intimate observers of
Hitler in action. I tell it as  here and now.

End of Introduction.

Excerpt of a conversation between the author and Ewald Reynitz (recorder of
Hitler's conferences), from p. 128:

"What was Hitler's outstanding characteristic?" I ask Reynitz.

"To Hitler, everything was black and white, never anything in between.
Compromise was a sign of weakness, he thought,  because it might show
uncertainty. When he adopted a position, he stuck by it even though in many
cases it made no sense.  This was his most revealing characteristic. I
cannot emphasize this enough," Reynitz replies.

End of excerpt.

Poster's comments:

For those who will draw the obvious comparison between this description and
the current president of the U.S., it should be  noted this pattern of
thinking is prevalent in the majority of humans on earth at this time. Each
and every person claiming  absolute truth can be, or is, known, is a
potential Hitler, lacking only the power to implement their "truth."

The book includes the author's snapshots of burned, shot, and gassed
prisoners, and the extent to which they were starved  is beyond belief. The
Holocaust deniers, who were not there, cannot compete with the first-hand
observation and evidence  presented in this book.

The book may be difficult to find, I am reading a library copy.

>From www.horacehansen.com

Biography of Horace R. Hansen

Horace R. Hansen was born on February 20, 1910, and grew up in the Midway
area of St. Paul, Minnesota. He attended Central High School and graduated
from the University of Minnesota, then the St. Paul College of Law in 1933.
While in law school, he became a friend of former Chief Justice of the
United States, Warren Burger, who was also attending the law school. They
remained friends and corresponded after Chief Justice Burger moved to
Washington D.C. Horace was proud of his friendship with the Chief Justice
and treasured the letters he received from the Chief.

Following graduation from law school, Horace worked for the Industrial
Commission as a Workers' Compensation attorney. While at the Commission, he
met Larry Hazen, also a Compensation attorney who later joined with Horace
to found the firm of Hansen and Hazen in 1946. During the 1930s, Horace was
very active in the Democratic Farmer-Labor Party and worked for various
social causes in St. Paul with Warren Burger. Horace was also very active in
the Cooperative Movement.

Horace joined the Ramsey County Attorney's staff as a prosecuting attorney
in the early 1940s. World War II interrupted his practice, where he served
as a lieutenant in an U.S. Army replacement troop. At the end of the war, he
became a Captain in the Judge Advocate General's Corp. Horace had many
interesting experiences during his service in World War II and wrote long
letters during the war to his friends in St. Paul. They were widely
circulated and published in the St. Paul Dispatch. These letters are now
part of the permanent records of the Ramsey County Historical Society. He
also took many pictures while traveling through Europe. At the end of the
war, Horace became part of the prosecution team that prosecuted the Germans
for war crimes. Horace worked on part of the Nuremberg trials but primarily
worked as a prosecutor at Dachau. In connection with his work as a
prosecutor, Horace met many interesting German people including several of
Adolf Hitler's personal recorders. He collected many photographs of the
concentration camps and prepared a manuscript for publication regarding his
experiences during the war and as a war crimes prosecutor.

After completing his prosecution duties, Horace returned to St. Paul and
joined with Larry Hazen and three others to form a new firm known as Hansen,
Robins, Davis, Lyons & Hazen. Later that year, Horace and Larry formed their
own partnership. From 1948 to 1963, there were various attorneys that were
associated with Larry and Horace in the practice, which by then was known as
Hansen, Hazen & Lynch. Some of these lawyers were Joseph Dillon, a former
mayor of St. Paul, Ramsey County District Judge James Lynch, Phillip Klein,
and Warren Newcombe, a former attorney for Great Northern Railroad.

Horace was a general practitioner but was widely recognized as an expert in
insurance, banking and health law. He served on the board of Directors of
the American National Bank & Trust Company for 25 years and chaired the
committee of the Minnesota State Bar Association which recodified the
Minnesota insurance laws in the 1970s. Horace served as the Degree of Honor
Protective Association general counsel for over twenty years, served as a
general counsel for the Minnesota League of Credit Unions, and also served
as general counsel for the Independent Bankers Association of America.

His work in banking law sent him to Washington, D.C., on numerous occasions
to testify on pending legislation before Congress. In addition, because of
the national scope of Horace's work representing small, independent banks
against large banks and bank holding companies, Horace participated in many
banking "test" cases around the United States in various state and federal
courts.

As an outgrowth from his early days in the Cooperative Movement, Horace
obtained authorization from then-Minnesota Attorney General Miles Lord to
charter the first health maintenance organization in Minnesota. Horace was
one of the founders of the Group Health Association of America and served as
its counsel for many years also. During the tenure of Minnesota Governor
Orville Freeman, Horace was invited by the Governor to consider an
appointment to the Minnesota Supreme Court, but he declined.

Apart from his law practice, Horace was active in social organization,
serving as one of the founders of the North Oaks Golf Club. He was also one
of the founders of the Norske Torske Klubben, a club made up of people with
Norwegian heritage.

Horace was a lawyer from the "old school" and a true gentleman. He was
especially unique in his ability to look at a legal issue as if it had never
been presented previously. This permitted him to let his mind roam and
consider the problem from all facets. Even after his retirement, Horace
retained his keen interest in the law. He often consulted with members of
his firm now known as Hansen, Dordell, Bradt, Odlaug & Bradt.

Horace married Ruth Laugen (1925-1998) in the summer of 1951. They had three
children: John C. Hansen, Jean H. Doth, and Gail N. Tromburg. Horace and
Ruth built a house in Mahtomedi, Minnesota, where they spent their first
eight years. In 1959, they moved to North Oaks, Minnesota, where Horace and
Ruth spent the rest of their lives. Horace died at this home on October 4,
1995, while writing a fiction book.

www.ctrl.org