-Caveat Lector-

Samatha 'Smith' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> In a message dated 4/22/99 10:46:36 PM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << For someone with the writing skills of Mr. Strieber to
>  perpetrate a hoax of this magnitude is certainly unforgivable.
>  Because of Mr. Strieber’s experience as a well known
>  science-fiction writer, he has the ability to make his words
>  more realistic, more interesting and more believable. >>
>
> Well, I wouldn't hook up to that machine for anybody either.  Those tests are
> hideous.  I like Streiber and think there's a spiritual lesson in his work.
> Am I sure he's not a fraud?  No.  And I'm having trouble trusting my insticts
> right now.  But NOT taking a polygraph is a smart thing, IMHO.  I'm not going
> to fault him for that.
>
> Samm

First off, let me say that I tend to agree that Whitely Strieber is a fake--perhaps
well-intentioned, but a fake nonetheless. As an SF and horror writer he's probably in
the middle of the pack (although *The Wolfen* had me looking over my shoulder for
months after I read it... :^} ). Since he went on this "alien abduction" kick,
however, he has become unreadable (for me--I won't presume to judge other people's
tastes). I suspect that he has the whole scenario on disk somewhere and is slowly
putting it into print, to string out the suspense, such as it is.

As for his refusal to take the polygraph test, that proves nothing, just as taking
*and either passing or failing* the test would prove nothing. It is entirely possible
for a liar to pass a polygraph test--IIRC, Ted Bundy passed several in the course of
the investigation of his serial murders. The key here was that Bundy was a sociopath,
completely lacking in what society calls "a conscience." He *knew* that what he was
doing was wrong, by society's standards, and it didn't matter one bit to him.
Therefore, when he was hooked up to the polygraph, he was as cool as a cucumber... By
the same token, a person can be telling the truth and yet be so nervous when strapped
into the machine that they produce precisely the wrong physical reaction when making
statements that are verifiably true. I don't trust polygraphs, just as I don't trust
voice stress analysis--there are too many variables and too much leeway in
interpretation of the results.

Bob

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For

more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND
UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS.
RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.

http://webmail.netscape.com.