-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

The 9-11 Commission report, released late last month, has disrupted the
normally quiet Washington August. Various congressional committees are
holding hearings on the report this week, even though Congress is not in
session, in an attempt to show the government is "doing something" about
terrorism in an election year. The Commission recommendations themselves
have been accepted reverently and without question, as if handed down from
on high.

But what exactly is going on here? These hearings amount to nothing more
than current government officials meeting with former government officials,
many of whom now lobby government officials, and agreeing that we need more
government! The current and past architects of the very bureaucracy that
failed Americans so badly on Sept. 11 three years ago are now meeting to
recommend more bureaucracy. Why on earth do we assume that former government
officials, some of whom are self-interested government lobbyists, suddenly
become wise, benevolent, and politically neutral when they retire? Why do we
look to former bureaucrats to address a bureaucratic failure?

The 9-11 Commission report is several hundred pages worth of recommendations
to make government larger and more intrusive. Does this surprise anyone? It
was written by people who cannot imagine any solution not coming from
government. One thing you definitely will not see in the Commission report
is a single critique of our interventionist foreign policy, which is the
real source of most anti-American feelings around the globe.

The Commissioners recommend the government spend billions of dollars
spreading pro-U.S. propaganda overseas, as if that will convince the world
to love us. What we have forgotten in the years since the end of the Cold
War is that actions speak louder than words. The U.S. didn't need propaganda
in the captive nations of Eastern Europe during the Cold War because people
knew us by our deeds. They could see the difference between the United
States and their Soviet overlords. That is why, given the first chance, they
chose freedom. Yet everything we have done in response to the 9-11 attacks,
from the PATRIOT Act to the war in Iraq, has reduced freedom in America.
Spending more money abroad or restricting liberties at home will do nothing
to deter terrorists, yet this is exactly what the 9-11 Commission
recommends.

Our nation will be safer only when government does less, not more. Rather
than asking ourselves what Congress or the president should be doing about
terrorism, we ought to ask what government should stop doing. It should stop
spending trillions of dollars on unconstitutional programs that detract from
basic government functions like national defense and border security. It
should stop meddling in the internal affairs of foreign nations, but instead
demonstrate by example the superiority of freedom, capitalism, and an open
society. It should stop engaging in nation-building, and stop trying to
create democratic societies through military force. It should stop
militarizing future enemies, as we did by supplying money and weapons to
characters like bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. It should stop entangling the
American people in unholy alliances like the UN and NATO, and pledge that
our armed forces will never serve under foreign command. It should stop
committing American troops to useless, expensive, and troublesome
assignments overseas, and instead commit the Department of Defense to
actually defending America. It should stop interfering with the 2nd
Amendment rights of private citizens and businesses seeking to defend
themselves.

More than anything, our federal government should stop deluding us that more
government is the answer. We have far more to fear from an unaccountable
government at home than from any foreign terrorist.

www.ctrl.org