-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

http://www.sundayherald.com/44531
'We don’t want our loved ones who died in 9/11 used as an excuse to start
war'
sunday herald

September 5, 2004 - DAN Jones starts to cry. He’s in the middle of Union
Square in New York City and he’s trying to explain how his children felt
when they lost their favourite uncle – his brother-in-law – on September 11,
2001. Jones is one of the founders of the September 11 Families for Peaceful
Tomorrows organisation and it’s been a rough week for him.
His brother-in-law, he feels, has been wrapped in the Stars And Stripes and
his death expropriated by the Republican Party, which has come to town just
days before the third anniversary of the attacks on America for its
pre-election convention.

The decision to hold the convention just a few blocks from the site where
nearly 3000 people died in the World Trade Centre attacks has been condemned
by many opponents of the Republican Party as a gross exploitation of America
’s suffering. Each day of the convention has invoked the memory of 9/11 as a
reason to “never forget and never forgive”; each day delegates have called
on September 11 as a reason to justify war.

If the convention and the memory of his family’s loss has made this a
harrowing week emotionally for Jones, then it’s also been a hard few days
for him physically too. He’s just completed the mammoth task of dragging a
5000lb tombstone – inscribed with the words “to the unknown civilians killed
in war” – from Boston to New York in time for the convention. The
 “Stonewalk” saw some 500 people, led by Jones, pulling this hulk of granite
along the same route that the planes which crashed into the twin towers took
when they were taken over by the 9/11 hijackers.

The Tombstone now takes centre stage in Union Square. This usually bohemian,
bustling little patch of ground has now been turned into a shrine for all
those who have died since 9/11. Surrounding the tombstone are 978 pairs of
boots – a set for every soldier who has died in Iraq. Hundreds of kids’
shoes and women’s shoes and the shoes of men are there as well – each pair
representing a dead Iraqi. The names of all those who have died during the
invasion and occupation of Iraq are being read out as Jones tries to
describe the pain and anger his family has felt – pain at losing his
children’s uncle, Bill Kelly, and anger at the Bush administration for using
their suffering, as they see it, as an excuse for war across the globe.

Bill Kelly was at a breakfast meeting at the Windows on the World restaurant
at the World Trade Centre when the first plane struck. His body was never
found. “My children lost their favourite uncle,” says Jones, a 39-year-old
social worker in the New York school system. “We didn’t want to see any
other family going through what we did. My children are still very afraid.
The shock and horror hasn’t left them. No other children anywhere in the
world should go through what they went through. The city in which they live
saw planes crashing into buildings and the buildings falling down.

“We knew that if our country waged war that other families would be put in
the same position that our family was put in – children would lose uncles
and parents, people would lose their brothers and sisters, parents would
lose their children.

“We wanted justice, not war. War is no way to get justice. It took a long
time for the man who blew up the plane over Lockerbie to come to justice,
but it happened in the end. We wanted this pursued as a crime, not to be
considered as an act of war. The war in Afghanistan has not brought those
who plotted my brother-in-law’s murder to justice. And the war in Iraq has
certainly not served that purpose either.”

The tombstone that he and the other members of September 11 Families for
Peaceful Tomorrows dragged to New York is meant to quietly and symbolically
show their President what they think of his foreign policy as he staged his
party’s national convention.

Not every protester is as eloquent as Jones and the 200 or so other families
in his organisation, but nearly all share his sentiments.

Since last Sunday – the day before the convention started – New York has
been a sea of protest. Sunday alone saw some 200,000 people take to the
streets in a demonstration aimed solely at one man – George W Bush. The
poor, the homeless, military veterans, former police officers and
firefighters who responded to 9/11, the gay community, the unemployed,
anarchists, hippies, Muslims, Christians, soccer moms – someone from every
segment of the myriad ways of life in America – has taken to the streets of
New York this last week to tell their President to stop what he is doing and
to let him know that they want him out of the White House this November.
Most have been dignified and some have been silly – such as the panty
protest down at Battery Park where women flashed their knickers bearing
slogans like “F*** Bush”. Only a very few have been violent and a handful
have been pointless – there was more than a couple of wasted stoners
desperately wandering New York looking for something to protest about but
unable to locate the nearest demonstration.

The police arrested more than 2000 people, many for the slightest
infractions. The NYPD has operated a policy of pre-emptive arrest, cracking
down hard on anyone who so much as steps out of line. But although
draconian, the police were mostly not too heavy-handed with the protesters.
That’s not surprising.

Few would have had the guts to test the patience of the police in a city
that looked as if martial law had been declared. Giant spy blimps floated
over the city as helicopters patrolled the skies. On every street corner in
Manhattan there were dozens of police officers. Streets were blocked off in
all directions by anti-car bomb barriers. Flotillas of motorcycle cops sped
around as officers on horseback and with batons drawn idled in the streets.
Madison Square Garden itself looked as if it was under siege, ringed by
secret service agents, the National Guard and thousands of police officers
armed to the teeth. This was not a city taking any chances. New Yorkers were
sure that there was going to be a terrorist attack.

The Republicans have delighted in disparaging the demonstrators as a bunch
of leftie hippies who have cost the city a fortune in security.

The response from the demonstrators is that the Republicans should have
taken their convention somewhere else. But Jones is not the type of
protester that the Republicans are likely to pick on. He’s their worst
nightmare – a victim of terrorism who is also a pacifist and an opponent of
America’s wars. As bells ring in Union Square for everyone who has died in
the Iraq war, Jones says: “The philosophy of our organisation is to
highlight civilian deaths. Our family members went to work, got on
aeroplanes, went to breakfast, responded to an emergency and were killed
because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. We don’t want our
loved ones used as an excuse to start war. Yet the death toll of the
innocent people in Iraq and Afghanistan just keeps going up. Like our
families, these people were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“We just want peace and justice. Our organisation takes its name from
something that Martin Luther King said – ‘wars are poor chisels for carving
out peaceful tomorrows’. That’s all we want – a peaceful tomorrow, and these
wars we are involved in are no way to bring that about. The stone that we’ve
brought to New York is a compliment to the tomb of the unknown soldier. It
is a mark of respect to the suffering and anguish of the families of
soldiers who have lost loved ones overseas. It’s a reminder about the human
toll of war.’

As Jones speaks the names of Iraqi children are read out. “Some of them were
just two years old,” Jones says. “I have children and it is horrible to
think of the one day of terror that we lived through in New York.

“But the nightly bombings in Iraq is terror raining down every day, and the
soldiers over there wondering each time a car passes whether or not it is
going to blow them up are living with a constant threat of death.”

American politics, Jones says, has become a “fiery cocktail”. “These wars
haven’t made my country safer,” he adds, “and even if they had, the means
aren’t justified. The entire world is a far more dangerous place, due in
large part to the actions of my government.”

Jones believes that what is happening overseas is an act of revenge. He
quotes an old college buddy of his – a navy veteran – who told him that it
was military doctrine that no army should take part in a war for the sake of
vengeance because it is dishonourable and the military lives or dies by its
honour.

“If the horror of those pictures from Abu Ghraib prison hasn’t shocked us
into admitting that we have no moral authority any more, then I don’t know
what can stop this,” he says. “The genie is out of the bottle and I don’t
know how to get it back in. I wish I did.”

Jones hasn’t lost hope though. He says he and all the other millions of
protesters around America have to keep on protesting for their children and
the belief in a “peaceful tomorrow”.

“My children miss their uncle greatly,” he says, coughing as his voice fills
up with tears. “Their experiences have prepared them for life at much too
young an age.

“It’s painful for them, very painful. It’s painful for all of us – both here
and abroad. The pain has to stop.”

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM

-__ ___ _ ___ __ ___ _ _ _ __
/-_|-0-\-V-/-\|-|-__|-|-|-/-_|
\_-\--_/\-/|-\\-|-_||-V-V-\_-\
|__/_|--//-|_|\_|___|\_A_/|__/

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter and discussion list associated to
Mario's Cyberspace Station - The Global Intelligence News Portal
 http://mprofaca.cro.net

######## CAUTION! #########
 Since you are receiving and reading documents, news stories,
comments and opinions not only from so called (or self-proclaimed)
"reliable sources", but also a lot of possible misinformation collected
by Spy News moderator and subscribers and posted to Spy News
for OSINT purposes - it should be a serious reason (particularly to
journalists and web publishers) to think twice before using it for their
story writing, further publishing or forwarding throughout Cyberspace.

To unsubscribe:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it available
without profit to SPY NEWS eGroup members who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, techniques,
human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other intelligence related issues,
for non-profit research and educational purposes only. We believe that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of
the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright
owner.
For more information go to:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/