-Caveat Lector-

Sorry, but the odds are at least 95 percent these docs are phony. Here's
why:

In 1977 and 1978 I had the privilege of typing many U.S. Army documents on
the typewriters used at the time. For the past 25 years I have formed a very
intimate relationship with the history, use and format of fonts. Most people
go blank when I try to explain exactly how they are designed and spaced.
There is little chance proportional fonts were used. Superscript may have
been possible on IBM Selectric, but my unit (infantry headquarters company)
did not have them.

Second, even at my level, if my CO had seen terms like "sugar-coat" or "CYA"
in ANY written record, his response would have been "shitcan this and do it
right." With a few more 4-letter words thrown in for emphasis. Even the
greenest, dumbest Lts. I knew would have known better than to use such
terminology. Those terms may be commonly used verbally but NEVER for a
written public record. That would be pure stupidity.

________________________________

        Authenticity backed on Bush documents

        By Francie Latour and Michael Rezendes,
        Globe Staff
        September 11, 2004

        After CBS News on Wednesday trumpeted newly discovered documents
that
        referred to a 1973 effort to ''sugar coat" President Bush's service
record
        in the Texas Air National Guard, the network almost immediately
faced
        charges that the documents were forgeries, with typography that was
not
        available on typewriters used at that time.

www.ctrl.org