-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

I'm aloft somewhere between Rome and Cincinnati, jetting back towards
my crazed, stupefied, dangerous country after three days in Berlin. I
dread coming home. You know things have taken a paradoxical turn when
Germany feels safe, sane, and free by comparison with the United
States of America. But that's how it looks to me.

That's how it looks to the Germans too. The idea that we might
actually re-elect George Bush is unfathomable - indeed, inexcusable -
to them. As one of them put it to me, "We can forgive you for
electing him once. As we ought to know, any electorate can make a
tragic mistake. But if you elect him twice, we will start fearing you
Americans as much as we currently fear your government." I suspect
this is a sentiment one could encounter almost anywhere on God's blue
earth. If the election were global as, in fairness, it probably ought
to be, it would be a pulverizing landslide.

I had a hard time explaining to the Germans why it's starting to look
like we might just re-elect Bush anyway. For one thing, they have
not, after all, seen as much of John Kerry as we have.

And let's face it, folks, John Kerry is really irritating.

There. I've said it. And, having broken the surface tension on that
spleen blister, let me just get the rest of this off my chest once
and for all.

For me, John Kerry's voice has already started to acquire that
special fingernails-on-the-blackboard effect that Bush's induces in
me. The thought of listening to him daily for the next four years
makes me feel better about the possible onset of rock 'n' roll
deafness. His morose Eyeore visage has become a vista almost as
tiresome as Bush's simian smirk. His  patrician demeanor reminds one
why George Bush has gone to such pains to disguise himself as an
illiterate West Texas hick rather than the Yalie he also is.

Worse, Kerry's transparently theatrical efforts to out-macho the
Republicans make him seem, as a friend recently put it, all dick and
no balls. Bush's problem, to hear Kerry tell it, is that he's *not
tough enough,* despite his being demonstrably willing to bomb
civilians in a country that neither attacked us nor expressed any
desire to do so. That's pretty gosh-darned tough, if you ask me.

Kerry's failure to capitalize on the failures of the worst
administration in my lifetime is unfathomable. The systematic
ineptitude of his campaign organization so far fills me with grave
concerns about his ability to form an administration that wouldn't
make us nostalgic for Gerald Ford's.

Generally speaking, it would have been better for the future of the
Republic if, upon eliminating Howard Dean, Kerry had been stashed in
a location as undisclosed as the one where they usually keep Dick
Cheney. Then he could have let Bush defeat himself through policies
and actions that no sane electorate could have ratified.

But no. He insisted on campaigning, apparently under the
misapprehension that to know him - or at least to know that virtual
version of him his marketing wizards had wrapped around him - was to
love him. This, unfortunately, has not been the general effect.
Gradually, I have watched the steam go out of the Anybody-But-Bush
crowd as we realized that anybody, in this instance, was the
increasingly irksome John Kerry.

People who, several months ago, were ready to go door-to-door in Ohio
in order to defeat Bush are unwilling to even campaign among their
friends to elect John Kerry. And I have become, I must admit, one of
these. Being an actual Kerry *supporter* just seems, well, un-cool.

For the last month or so, the election seemed reminiscent to me of
ads for the film "Alien vs. Predator, " the tag line of which goes,
"Whoever wins, we lose." (Further, it has seemed right to me that one
of these characters is and alien and the other a predator.)

The first debate, which I watched over the Internet in Berlin, did
nothing to alter my feelings about the candidates. Though many
American pundits seemed to think that Kerry "won" that Battle of the
Teledroids, it looked like they both lost to me, with their
stammering repetitions and hollow phrases. Lincoln vs. Douglas it was
not.

Is it any wonder that so many people are playing political possum
again? As ordinary folks go back to pretending to be asleep, the true
believers, more fervent than ever, prepare to re-elect George Bush.

But is Kerry really as personally lame as he appears? Well, in fact,
no. I had dinner with Kerry at one point last year, and, while I
found his views that evening to be a bit too tightly congruent with
those of the real money at the table, I found the actual John Kerry
to be a great deal more likeable than his manufactured simulacrum. I
remember thinking he might be an entertaining guy to spend a day
skiing with.

But even if Kerry himself were as off-putting as the guy I see on TV,
should we allow his personality deficiencies or cultural
idiosyncrasies to dissuade us from supporting him? I would say not,
especially when we consider what's at stake here.

Right here, right now, somewhere over the Atlantic, I'm having a
moment of clarity. I realize the obvious. I realize that, along with
a lot of other people, I have fallen prey to the peculiar American
frailty which has given us so many bad presidents. I refer to our
national tendency to treat presidential elections as though we were
all high-schoolers choosing a Prom King.

Thus, when it comes to qualifying for the American Presidency, a
grating accent can be a bigger political liability than a record of
homicidally misguided policies. Being inconsistent is a greater
personal failing than being consistently, doggedly, disastrously
wrong. Being dorky is more damning than being dictatorial.

We all need to get a grip and quickly. Whatever it has been
traditionally, this Presidential race should not be a personality
contest. I say this as much to myself to myself as I do to you. I
have to snap out of it and remember we are not electing our new best
friend here. We were electing a set of ideologies, cultural
predispositions, policies, practices, and beliefs - many of them
religious - that may literally affect the fate of life on earth. And
one thing I will say for George Bush, he has disabused me of my old
belief that it doesn't really matter who's President.

That's because George Bush was and is a package deal. Along with the
man himself, whatever his personality traits, we got a large cast of
characters who, in aggregate, have been vastly more important than
the hands-off President himself. We got Cheney, Rumsfeld, and
Condoleeza Rice. We got Ashcroft to a fare-the-well. We got
Wolfowitz, Feith, and Perle. And, boy, did we ever get Karl Rove.

We got a legion of too-smart-by-half Stepford husbands with flags on
their lapels, fire in their eyes, and God on their side. We got
pharmaceutical companies designing our health care systems, the
prison-industrial complex designing our sentencing schedules, Exxon
and Enron designing energy policy, Halliburton and the Carlyle Group
and the Center for the New American Century designing foreign policy,
Louisiana-Pacific designing forestry policy, and Con-Agra designing
agricultural policy. We got the super-rich and multinationals
designing tax policy to their personal benefit, creationists
designing school curricula, fundamentalists designing scientific
research agenda.

However one feels about the shapes of either John Kerry's jawline or
his vowels, what matters most is the shape of what he would bring
with him to the White House. His masters, his servants, and his
fundamental beliefs will all be very different, whatever his
marketing wizards (all of whom study Rove) are telling him to say now.

More to the point, terrible things have happened during the last four
years that should not be rewarded no matter how we feel about John
Kerry. The war in Iraq alone is unforgivable. While it would be a
wonderful thing to have a beacon of democracy in the Middle East, it
is criminally misguided to think that we could bomb such a thing into
existence. And while it has become a mandatory cliche to say that the
world is safer without Saddam Hussein in charge of Iraq, I wouldn't
even say this appears true at present.

Between his ill-conceived military adventures and the billions his
tax cuts have diverted into the pockets of his friends, Bush has
created a deficit that may ultimately bring down the world's economy.
He has started the United States on a path towards oligarchy that,
unchecked, could turn America into a country that makes Mexico look
like Sweden. He is responding to the foreseeable exhaustion of the
world's oil reserves with policies that burn them faster. And as
nearly unprecedented hurricanes whip out of the warming Caribbean, he
has continued to be the primary obstacle to a collective human
response to galloping carbon dioxide increases in the atmosphere. He
has taken a good shot at gutting the Bill of Rights, and, with regard
to Moslems, he has largely succeeded.

I won't attempt to repeat the list of his catastrophes here. It's far
too long, and much of it has been enumerated on the Internet already.
We all know it, and yet we continue to occupy ourselves with such
airy trivialities as which candidate looks most "presidential." And
against this backdrop of Bush-driven national emergencies, I've been
allowing John Kerry's accent to diminish my sense of commitment to
his election,

I can't do this any more. Neither can the rest of us who have any
regard for the well-being of our descendents.

Yeah, John Kerry makes a lousy candidate for Prom King. But that
isn't what he's running for.

John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder & Vice Chairman, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Berkman Fellow, Harvard Law School

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

Blog: http://blog.barlowfriendz.net

AIM: barlow1

Mobile: 917/863-2037

Barlow in Meatspace Now: Berlin -> Rome -> Cincinnati -> Phoenix

(Provisional) Trajectory from Here:  Carefree, Arizona (10/2-5) ->
New York City (10/5-9) -> Montreal (10/9-10) -> New York City
(10/11-13) -> Charleston, South Carolina (10/13-15) -> New York
City...

<FONT COLOR="#000099">$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/zgSolB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

www.ctrl.org
ctrl is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds
are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid matters and
'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis-directions and outright frauds—is
used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout
the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, ctrl gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always
suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. ctrl gives no credence to Holocaust
denial and nazi's need not apply.

There are two list running, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
has unlimited posting and is more for discussion. [EMAIL PROTECTED] is more for
informational exchange and has limited posting abilities.

Omimited posting abilities.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/