-Caveat Lector-
Forwarded with Compliments of Free Voice of America (FVOA):  Accurate News and Interesting Commentary for Amerika's Huddled Masses Yearning to Breathe Free.   --  NOTE:  Thanks to Sue Supriano for this.   --  kl, pp

  From the Guardian/UK via <www.commondreams.org>

  Monday, October 18, 2004

                                                       Any Means Necessary

            In the 60s, Police Dogs and Billy Clubs Kept Black Americans from the Polls.

                                                Today's Methods Are More Refined.

By Gary Younge

 > There is nothing George Bush likes more than extolling the virtues of democracy
 > in faraway places. On October 8, during the second presidential debate, he
 > promised: "Freedom is on the march. Tomorrow, Afghanistan will be voting for a
 > president."

    Apparently some Afghans enjoyed their new freedoms so much, they
> [...]

 > the chief executive of Diebold, which makes many of the voting machines, said he
 > was "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes" to Bush.

 > African-Americans, however, remain the principal target of the Republican
 > campaign to block the vote. Unlike the 60s, when black Americans were barred from
 > the polls by police dogs, water cannon and billy clubs, the means today are more
 > refined. Occasionally the mask slips. In July, John Pappageorge, Michigan's
 > Republican state legislator, told a Republican meeting: "If we do not suppress
 > the Detroit vote, we're going to have a tough time in this election cycle."
 > Detroit is more than 80% black. It does not take a genius to work out whose votes
 > he was keen to suppress.

 > So far it has mainly been a mix of petty harassment and bureaucratic pedantry,
 > devised to intimidate newly registered and poor voters, a huge proportion of whom
 > are black and Latino. Take Florida. According to the Washington Post,
 > African-Americans in Republican-run Duval county were the most likely to have
 > their voter registration forms rejected, while rejections for Democrats
 > outnumbered Republicans by three to one. In 2000, 42% of ballots rejected by the
 > Duval county election board came from mainly black areas.

 > In Ohio, Mr Blackwell also told election boards that anyone who turned up at the
 > wrong polling station would not be able to cast a provisional ballot (to be
 > verified later). The Democrats successfully sued, saying that the ruling would
 > disadvantage minority and poor voters, who tend to move more often.

 > It is not difficult to fathom what is driving these efforts, which are being
 > replicated throughout the country. The best indication of how an American will
 > vote is race. More than 80% of African-Americans voted Democrat in the last
 > election. Incapable of persuading them to vote Republican, Republicans now seek
 > to prevent them voting Democrat.

 > This task has become particularly urgent because voter registration recently
 > ended in many states, revealing that voter rolls in black and Latino areas have
 > swollen in far greater numbers than in Republican precincts. Between the last
 > election and August this year, almost 200,000 additional black voters were
 > registered in Florida.

 > So while these attempts are clearly racial in nature, they are essentially
 > partisan in motivation. With apologies to Malcolm X, they are about winning by
 > any means necessary. Republicans support democracy when democracy supports
 > Republicans. But they are equally happy to do without it when it is inconvenient.
 > That was always true abroad, from Venezuela to Nicaragua and Pakistan to Saudi
 > Arabia. Now it is true at home, from Detroit to Duval County.

 > Freedom is on the retreat. And the man who assumed office four years ago--thanks

 > to thousands of disenfranchised black voters--is again leading the charge.

Sue Supriano: Steppin' Out of Babylon - Radio Interviews
http://www.suesupriano.com
"In Germany first they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up." -- Pastor Martin Niemoller

Om 2">