-Caveat Lector-

This is an interesting case. Was Galloway set up by Blair and Brit intel by
planting phony documents then fed to the now discredited Neocon Telegraph
publisher Conrad Black?
flw

The Telegraph

Galloway wins libel case over Saddam claims
By Caroline Davies
(Filed: 03/12/2004)

George Galloway was awarded £150,000 libel damages against The Daily
Telegraph yesterday after a High Court judge ruled that he had been
"seriously defamed" over the newspaper's coverage of documents naming him
and found in Iraq.

Mr Justice Eady said the newspaper had conveyed to reasonable and
fair-minded readers that the Glasgow Kelvin MP had been in the pay of Saddam
Hussein and diverted monies from the oil-for-food programme, thus depriving
the Iraqi people, whose interests he had claimed to represent, of food and
medicines.

He said the newspaper had alleged that Mr Galloway, 50, had probably used
his Mariam Appeal as a front for personal enrichment, and claimed that what
he had done was "tantamount to treason".

Mr Galloway called the ruling a "judicial caning" for the newspaper, and
insisted that "the documents are either forgeries or they have been
doctored - but they are in any case false".

The newspaper had denied libelling the MP in articles published on April 22
and 23 last year and based on documents found by its foreign correspondent,
David Blair, in Baghdad shortly after the fall of Saddam's regime.

Among the documents was one from the head of Iraqi Intelligence to Saddam's
office purporting to show Mr Galloway had received money from the regime
through the oil-for-food programme to fund his political work on behalf of
Iraq and that he had requested more money.

The newspaper claimed it was responsible journalism and in the public
interest to publish the documents and a right to comment on the contents. It
faces £1 million costs.

Mr Galloway strenuously denied the "outrageous and incredibly damaging"
allegations that either he or the appeal received or sought any money from
Saddam.

The judge strongly criticised the coverage, including the newspaper's news
reports, leaders, headlines and use of pictures, saying that the articles
were not "neutral reportage" of the documents.
The newspaper had "not merely adopted" the allegations in the documents but
had "embraced them with relish and fervour".
Neil Darbyshire, the executive editor of The Daily Telegraph, said the
newspaper was "disappointed by this judgment, which we believe is a blow to
the principle of freedom of expression in this country".
"The Daily Telegraph published genuine documents that emanated from the
highest levels of the Iraqi government and raised questions about the
activities of Mr Galloway, a British Member of Parliament.
"While we have no doubt that these documents are authentic, it has never
been The Daily Telegraph's case to suggest that we could prove the
information contained within them is true." The paper had published them
"believing that their contents were important, should be made public and
would in due course be investigated by the proper authorities".
The newspaper is considering an appeal.
Mr Galloway said: "I have had to risk total and utter ruin in order to bring
this case. If I had lost it, I would be bankrupt, my house would have been
taken away from me, my job would be lost.
"I have had to risk absolutely everything to obtain the vindication this
judgment brings me. So I do not feel happy. I feel angry that I was forced
to do that".
He hoped one day to be able to establish "who was responsible for these
documents".
"The situation is Baghdad is such that were I to go there, I am sure the
friends of The Daily Telegraph in control of Iraq would like to arrange an
accident for me."
The judge found Mr Galloway a "truthful and compelling" witness, and all
witnesses to be "impressive and straightforward", but he ruled that the
newspaper coverage had not been "neutral".

www.ctrl.org