-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

Weekend Edition
June 10 / 12, 2005
Some Things Have Changed; Some Remain the Same
A Day in Mississippi
http://www.counterpunch.com/gray06102005.html
By HEATHER GRAY

Every time I travel to Mississippi from Georgia I'm confronted with a flood of
memories. Friends occasionally remind me that Mississippi is no different than
any
other state in the "deep" south and, on the whole, I know that's true. Yet, for
me,
Mississippi invariably rises to the top as the epitome of racial injustice,
intolerance,
bigotry, economic exploitation and, in spite of all, contradictions. Perhaps
this is
because its history of oppression is so conspicuous. Mississippi folks
concerned
about oppression have always challenged it, however. They simply never give up.

After September 11, 2001, George Bush said he was going after terrorists. I
thought,
"Great, maybe, he'll go after some of the real terrorists of American citizens,
like the
Ku Klux Klan and other hate groups in Mississippi and throughout the country."
This
was a pipe dream, I know.

Mississippi's bleak contemporary and historical record is legendary and
graphically
described in books and film. Witness, for example, the founding of the
notorious
White Citizens Council in 1954 by the Mississippi Delta white elite, partly to
counter
civil rights achievements, such as the Supreme Court's Brown v Topeka, Kansas
Board of Education decision in 1954 to integrate public schools. As Martin
Luther
King said in his book "Stride Toward Freedom":

Then there are the white citizens councils. Since they occasionally recruit
members
from a higher social and economic level then the Klan, a halo of partial
respectability
hovers over them. But like the Klan they are determined to preserve segregation
despite the law. Their weapons of threat, intimidation, and boycott are
directed both
against Negroes and any whites who stand for justice. They demand absolute
conformity from whites and abject submission from Negroes.

In 1955, there was the horror of the tragic torture and murder of 14-year-old
Emmett
Till in Money, Mississippi and the subsequent acquittal of his murderers.
Till's death
is considered one of the catalysts for the launching of the modern civil rights
movement, such as the Montgomery bus boycott in December 1955. In 1963,
Mississippi NAACP field director Medgar Evers was assassinated by Byron de la
Beckwith who was a founding member of the White Citizens Council. In 1994,
after 3
trials, Beckwith was finally convicted of this murder. Then there were the
riots at the
University of Mississippi when, in 1962, aspiring black student James Meredith
attempted to integrate the school. Meredith did attend the university, however,
and
he did graduate without incident. In 1964 three young civil rights workers -
James
Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner - were murdered by the Klan in
Philadelphia, Mississippi which was depicted in the film "Mississippi Burning".
There
were some minor convictions for these murders, but the case is on-going.

In 1987, I organized the Africa Peace Tour that was sponsored by the Maryknoll
Fathers and Brothers, Quakers, Unitarians, United Church of Christ, Oxfam, and
others. Mississippi was preeminent in our planning and we started in Biloxi,
Mississippi at the Methodist retreat center. With thirty speakers from the U.S.
and
Africa, our mission was to expose communities in seven states in the South to
U.S.
policies in Africa, particularly in southern Africa. We focused largely on the
struggles
of those in Angola and Mozambique whose revolutionary governments had
successfully wrenched themselves from Portuguese colonialism in 1975.
Subsequently, these countries were being accosted by brutal guerilla factions
such
as UNITA and Renamo, with the support and encouragement of the U.S. right wing
and U.S. religious fundamentalists. As in Mississippi, the U.S. right wing was
not
going to allow those of African origin claim their independence without a
violent
response. The U.S. support, under Ronald Reagan, of the South African apartheid
government and against the freedom efforts was also a major focus of our
discussion. Overall, the parallels of the struggles for justice in the U.S. to
that of
other countries are always striking.

After Biloxi, we headed to Holmes County in the Mississippi Delta where the
black
community group we visited assisted rural blacks in accessing some of the
government programs available to them through, for example, the federally
funded
Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO). These included programs such as Head Start
for
children and other educational and leadership development opportunities. This
work
was dangerous in the Delta. The windows of their trailer office had been shot
out on
numerous occasions and harassment by local whites was commonplace. Some of
these brave organizers felt compelled to arm themselves for protection.

Toward the end of our tour in Mississippi, the black South African director of
the
African National Congress' photography division and I (a white activist) spoke
to a
group just outside Jackson, Mississippi. Following this we were to meet the
rest of
the tour group in Jackson, but we got lost and were an hour late. This was in
the
evening. Other members of the tour were nervous wrecks by the time we arrived.
People in Mississippi have been known to go missing without a trace and a multi-
racial couple is still not always appreciated in some rural communities in the
South.

In Jackson, in my recent visit in Mississippi, I opened the USA Today to read
that
Emmett Till's body was being exhumed in Chicago at the behest of the Justice
Department to assess how he was killed and then to perhaps explore if there
were
others involved in that tragic murder. Then, on my way out of Jackson, I
decided to
head for the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is my refuge in Mississippi. It is a
protected park, a "non-commercial" trail from Natchez, Mississippi to
Nashville,
Tennessee that was once used by the Natchez, Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians.
There are clusters of ancient Indian mounds along the route that are thousands
of
years old.

>From the Trace, I saw an older black man fishing by the reservoir. I stopped
>to talk
with him briefly as I had questions about the area and hoped he could help. We
talked for a while. He had left Mississippi for California in 1955. "Emmett
Till", I said
immediately. "Yes, that was 1955" he concurred. "But California wasn't much
different, really," he said. "Racism is everywhere in America." He came back to
Mississippi in 1998 after his retirement. "It was time to come home," he said.
"My
father was a cotton farmer in the Delta and he had left earlier than '55. I was
the last
one on the family to leave Mississippi. Mississippi's changed a lot since 1955
but I
came back also to get away from the crime in California. There's too much of it
in
Jackson, though. Too many drug problems here." His wife was from Philadelphia,
Mississippi.

Then, on my way back to Atlanta, I continued up the Natchez Trace to State
Highway
15 toward Philadelphia, Mississippi in Neshoba County. Klan member, Edgar Ray
"Preacher" Killens, is about to go on trial in Philadelphia for involvement in
the
murder of the three civil rights workers in 1964 and I wanted to get the feel
of the city
in spite of my limited time. I walked through the clean and spacious courthouse
but
was not able to go into any of the courtrooms as they were in session.

Then, I walked across the street for lunch at The Coffee Bean. I talked with
the
young "white" server (probably in his mid-20's) about the upcoming Killens
trial. " Will
it take place in the courthouse across the street?" I asked. "Yes," he said.
Then I
asked if he knew the direction of the dam where the young civil rights workers
were
buried. I know this is sensitive and probably not something people want to talk
about,
but I thought I'd try. He said, with a brush of his hand, "I don't have any
idea." He
probably did know, though, and he didn't appreciate me asking as I had
expected. I
asked him if he was from Philadelphia. He said, "Yes, just a couple of blocks
away
from here. I was born in Jackson, though, but was raised here in Philadelphia."

Southern rural whites are inclined to close ranks and are almost always
suspicious of
outsiders. It takes some time before they'll trust you if ever. Most closed
societies are
like this, but in the southern U.S., in particular, white supremacy adds
another
impenetrable barrier to sharing ideas and opinions.

Thinking about Mississippi reminds me of W.J. Cash and his seminal 1939 book
"The Mind of the South". He describes the "savage ideal" in the South as the
use of
violence for the maintenance of white supremacy and intimidation generally, by
the
white elite, to maintain order. Cash explains further, in detail, how the white
elite has
always used the white working class as pawns and also used religion to control
the
region and preserve the racial status quo. Some southerners will also say that
even
today the Klan will not act if it does not have the approval of white business
and
religious leaders.

Ronald Reagan obviously understood these southern politics when he launched his
presidential campaign at the Neshoba County Fair in Philadelphia, Mississippi.
Alabama civil rights attorney J.L. Chestnut heard the speech. Below are his
comments:

"One sunny afternoon in late 1978 or early 1979, driving back from a Court
Martial
trial at a Mississippi Air Force Base I heard on the car radio that Reagan
would kick
off his presidential bid in Philadelphia, Mississippi later that afternoon.
That infamous
little redneck town is where three young civil rights workers were brutally
murdered
by law enforcement people and Klu Kluxers during the 1960s. I had not one
scintilla
of a doubt why Reagan had chosen this little racist symbol of a town, but
wanted to
hear the actor-politician lie about why he didn't begin his presidential effort
in his
native state, Illinois, or in his adopted state, California. I was about 100
miles from
the town and decided to head for Philadelphia.

I was more than aware that, Reagan as Governor of California, and District
Attorney
Ed Meese, (later Reagan's Attorney General) had treated civil rights
demonstrators
in California almost as badly as Bull Connor and Jim Clark had treated us in
Alabama. I also knew that Reagan had stolen almost all of George Wallace's
coded
and demagogic speech about law and order, limited government and states rights.
Like Wallace, Reagan never mentioned the word race. They didn't have to say the
word. The message was clear. After Reagan's speech in Philadelphia, I drove
away
both sad and angry.

The Reagan rally took place in the town square on the unkempt Main Street, and
would guess that every racist nut in the town was crowded into the square. This
writer and only one other black person were present, and he was pushing a gray
haired old white man in a wheelchair who appeared already dead. Reagan
delivered
the most racist speech I had heard since Wallace's "segregation today, tomorrow
and forever "foolishness. Hiding behind the Reagan smile, he proclaimed that
without
a doubt the South will rise again and this time remain master of everybody and
everything within its dominion." The square came to life, the Klu Kluxers were
shouting, jeering and in obvious ecstasy. God bless America."

Reagan won all of the deep South states in 1980 with the exception of Georgia,
that
supported its native son Jimmy Carter. His Mississippi speech was noted as
pivotal
in both his presidential election and Republican victory in the South. Reagan
helped
to solidify the reunion of whites in America that has been on-going since the
Compromise of 1877 when the federal government ended reconstruction in the
South. This gave the southern elite the green light for implementation the
oppressive
Jim Crow policies that destabilized the freedom movement in the South for half
century. The Republican party sold its soul to racist sentiments in the South
to take
the region officially into the Republican fold.

Without doubt, the present Bush presidency is a direct beneficiary of Reagan's
racist
Philadelphia speech. As ever, Mississippi is in the heart of it all...it's
controversy
continues.

Many in the South say 'some things have changed and some remain the same.' So
true.

For 14 years Heather Gray has produced "Just Peace" on WRFG-Atlanta 89.3 FM
covering local, regional, national and international news In 1985-86 she
directed the
nonviolent program at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social
Change in Atlanta. She lives in Atlanta and can be reached at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Alamaine
Grand Forks, ND, US of A

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable
web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
</FONT><A
HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/zgSolB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

www.ctrl.org
ctrl is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis-directions and
outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, ctrl gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always
suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. ctrl gives no credence to
Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

There are two list running, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and CTRL@listserv.aol.com, [EMAIL
PROTECTED] has unlimited posting and is more for discussion.
CTRL@listserv.aol.com is more for informational exchange and has limited
posting abilities.

Omimited posting abilities.

Yahoo! Groups Links