-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---

 From:  Jennifer Van Bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  2005/06/11 Sat PM 03:50:30 EDT
To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:  [antiwarbroward] Patriot Act Expansion

 Friends,

It is urgent that the grassroots make our voices heard in the debate about
extension/expansion of the PATRIOT Act!  On Tuesday, the Senate Intelligence
Committee voted to send PATRIOT Act expansion legislation forward, and
Congressional committees are expected to mark up additional bills the week of
June 20.  This is moving much too fast.  The reauthorization process is proving
to be as secretive as the initial passage of the PATRIOT Act.  It will take all
of us working together to slow the process down, and open it up for vigorous
public debate.

Now is the time to make appointments with Congressional representatives for the
week of July 4, when they will be back home in their districts, to show them
the overwhelming grassroots opposition to extending powers to an unaccountable
Justice Department.  Groups across the country are already setting up such
meetings and planning other events for the Patriot Days of Action, including
July 4th activities, rallies, and ad campaigns.  If you aren’t already
planning an event, we hope you will join us as we show Congress a burst of
local fireworks over extension/expansion of the PATRIOT Act!

Here are some updates on Patriot Days of Action resources:

1.  We welcome national and local organizations to endorse the Patriot Days of
Action. (See the current list at http://www.bordc.org/involved/endorsers.php).
Organizations wanting to endorse should send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
provide the name of the organization; whether the organization is a local,
state, regional, or national group; web URL; city and/or state; and contact
information.

2.  A web button for the Patriot Days of Action is now available!  You can add
it to your organization's web site, or encourage other organizations to put it
on their site(s).  The code and simple instructions for posting the button are
at http://www.bordc.org/involved/weekofactionlink.php.

3.  To notify us of events you've planned for the Patriot Days of Action,
please fill out our online form:
http://www.bordc.org/involved/event_userform.php.  We will post the information
on our web site and include it in press materials.

4.  We have added new resources to our menu of event suggestions, including
talking points and tips for holding a news conference:
http://www.bordc.org/involved/menu.php.  We will continue to add more resources
as they become available.

If you would like to discuss your plans or ideas with us, please feel free to
call or email Hope Marston (Western Region Organizer, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
541-683-1604) or Jessie Baugher (Eastern Region Organizer, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
413-582-0110).

Thanks for all you do!

Jessie Baugher
Administrative Assistant &
Eastern Region Organizer,
Bill of Rights Defense Committee

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: 413-582-0110
fax: 413-582-0116
www.bordc.org

Patriot Days of Action Endorsers:

National Organizations
Amnesty International USA
Council on American-Islamic Relations
Friends Committee on National Legislation (Quaker)
National Lawyers Guild
People For the American Way
ReclaimDemocracy.org
Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregrations

Local Organizations
Action Center For Justice (Charlotte, NC)
Charlotte Bill Of Rights Defense Committee (Charlotte, NC) AUTOTEXTLIST \s
"E-mail Signature"  AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature"

Jennifer Van Bergen

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.ctrl.org