-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mario Profaca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: July 7, 2005 4:19:57 AM PDT
To: "!SPY NEWS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Spy News] Caught in a Perjury Trap: Will Karl Rove Be Indicted?

Caught in a Perjury Trap: Will Karl Rove Be Indicted?
JOSHUA FRANK, CounterPunch

July 6, 2005 - Occasionally I get emails from Washington folks who work on
the Hill claiming to possess juicy insider digs on our public servants and
their corporate paymasters. I usually delete said emails, as I don't want to
be responsible for propagating dirty rumors or false information that can't
be corroborated. I'd rather let Judith Miller and the New York Times do
that. Nonetheless, in the past 24 hours I have been contacted by three
separate Congressional Democrats in Washington, and a Justice Department
official, first by email and later phone, who all say the same thing: Karl
Rove is about to be indicted.

All this comes on the heels of events that transpired over the weekend, as
two different individuals, journalist Michael Isikoff and political
commentator Lawrence O'Donnell, both claimed that Karl Rove might have been
responsible for leaking the identity of an undercover CIA officer's identity
to Matthew Cooper of Time magazine. Isikoff claims that Cooper talked to
Rove during the period that Plame's identity was leaked, but there is still
no proof that Rove was the culprit. As Isikoff of Newsweek wrote on July 3:

"The e-mails surrendered by Time Inc., which are largely between Cooper and
his editors, show that one of Cooper's sources was White House deputy chief
of staff Karl Rove, according to two lawyers who asked not to be identified
because they are representing witnesses sympathetic to the White House.
Cooper and a Time spokeswoman declined to comment. But in an interview with
Newsweek, Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, confirmed that Rove had been
interviewed by Cooper for the article."

If it turns out that Rove did leak Plame to Cooper, it still does not
necessarily mean that he was also Robert Novak's inside guy, although it
surely raises suspicion. The indictment, as I am told, will most likely be
of felony weight. In fact, Karl Rove may be accused of perjury, as Bush's
top strategist told a Grand Jury that he was not responsible for leaking
Plame's identity to Time magazine.

So the charge may not be for leaking top-secret information to the press,
but for perjuring himself.

Sources also all say that this indictment is likely to come down either late
this week or early next week. Of course Rove's lawyer denies that his client
ever "knowingly" handed over classified information to the media, or is the
"target" of any investigation. Perhaps Rove "unknowingly" did, and he's the
"subject" rather than a "target" of an investigation. Time will tell.

Apparently I'm not the only one who has been leaked this information either.
Over at Redstate, a right-wing Internet blog, one member who calls himself
"Ohsure," also claims "[four] Great sources confirmed" the matter, and later
added:

"I not only don't do this, I have never done this.

But here it is;

'Karl Rove will be indicted late this, or early next week.'

I'm trusting a source. So either I am made a into an overzealous horses a**,
or..., I have good sources and may be more trusted to get these things
right."

Over to you Mr. Fitzgerald.

Joshua Frank is the author of the brand new book, Left Out!: How Liberals
Helped Reelect George W. Bush, which has just been published by Common
Courage Press. You can order a copy at a discounted rate at
www.brickburner.org. Joshua can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-__ ___ _ ___ __ ___ _ _ _ __
/-_|-0-\-V-/-\|-|-__|-|-|-/-_|
\_-\--_/\-/|-\\-|-_||-V-V-\_-\
|__/_|--//-|_|\_|___|\_A_/|__/

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter and discussion list associated to
Mario's Cyberspace Station - The Global Intelligence News Portal

######## CAUTION! #########
 Since you are receiving and reading documents, news stories,
comments and opinions not only from so called (or self-proclaimed)
"reliable sources", but also a lot of possible misinformation collected
by Spy News moderator and subscribers and posted to Spy News
for OSINT purposes - it should be a serious reason (particularly to
journalists and web publishers) to think twice before using it for their
story writing, further publishing or forwarding throughout Cyberspace.

To unsubscribe:

*** FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it available without profit to SPY NEWS eGroup members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:

www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.