-Caveat Lector-

back to anwr.org

ANWR Oil  A New Egg in a Strong Basket

Economic and Political Insights on American Energy after the Katrina
Disaster

In the wake of the hurricane disaster in New Orleans, the frailty of
Americas energy supply has become all too apparent. For the next number of
years, the Gulf of Mexico will remain in the line of fire for more
predicted hurricanes. Yet it supplies 28% of Americas oil production. Any
damage to the flow of crude oil there has a dramatic effect on the nations
fuel supply. It is a valuable egg in a fragile basket.

If there is one message that the government and American people need to
heed from this situation, it is that diversifying ones supply of oil is
the best way to prevent price spikes and fuel shortages and other national
energy worries. We need a new egg in a stronger basket. The Gulf of Mexico
cant do it alone.

That diversification is at hand and is now before Congress: open the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas exploration. ANWR has the
potential to be Americas largest oil field and is in an area not
susceptible to natural disasters. In nearly 30 years of production in
Prudhoe Bay, just 50 miles west of the Coastal Plain of ANWR, there have
been no natural disasters or delays in supply caused by nature.

Alaskan oil is also produced under the strictest environmental regulations
on the planet, and oil from ANWR will be produced on solid ground, not in
an ocean on vulnerable drilling platforms. Oil from ANWRs coastal plain
would take approximately 8 years to bring on line and by that time could
tally Alaskan oil to equal one third of US domestic production, surpassing
output in the Gulf.

Simply put, ANWR oil will help diversify America away from reliance on
drilling in the hurricane hazardous Gulf of Mexico. It is the
responsibility of Congress to lead America to a more stable energy
production platform. This platform must be one that encompasses maximizing
domestic production from as many sources as possible. Recent events
demonstrate the risk of not doing so. That risk is particularly
unacceptable, because in ANWR we have a sensible and realistic solution.

America is in dire need of greater domestic oil and gas production as year
by year we increase our reliance on foreign oil. We currently import
between 58-64% of our oil, depending on the time of year. As our economy
grows this figure increases and will continue to do so for the foreseeable
future. No new energy source that we know of today will lessen this
statistic for the next 20 years. Ironically, alternative green
technologies such as solar, wind, biofuels and hydrogen fuel cells not
only have a bigger production footprint on the environment than oil, they
also rely on oil for their construction, component parts, and maintenance.
Alternative energies are simply not an immediate realistic solution to our
huge demand for energy.

Todays oil importation policy was born in an earlier energy crisis, the
1973 OPEC oil embargo. At the time, America was plunged into long lines at
the pump, price spikes and tremendous energy worry. OPEC had virtual
control.

Indeed, similar to now, too many eggs were in too few baskets.

We continue to rely on oil from abroad for a majority of our energy
supply. Particularly from areas of the world that are unstable and
hostile. If we have learned anything from current events we must lessen
our dependence on foreign oil and diversify our domestic supply. American
crude oil production has been reduced by 25% due to Katrina and our
refining capacity reduced by 10%. This leaves America begging for oil.

The issue is best described by Ben Lieberman of the Heritage Foundation;
Hurricane Katrina struck us at the worst place and time and revealed the
vulnerability of the nations energy infrastructure. It should underscore
the need to strengthen the resiliency of a system that is barely adequate
even under the best of circumstances.

This national vulnerability is not just a vulnerability to disasters
either. The world appetite for oil is also growing. As noted in the
Financial Times September 6, 2005, on present trends, global oil supply
needs to rise each year by at least two million barrels a day(to meet
demand). ANWR alone could contribute 1 million of those barrels. Those
barrels are safe, secure and hurricane proof.

We must remember in 1995 Congress approved exploration of the Coastal
Plain of ANWR. Had it not been vetoed by then President Clinton, we would
currently be producing a million or more additional barrels a day (20% of
Americas domestic production). This would have certainly reduced the
impact of Katrina, lessened gas price spikes, and decreased our drastic
sudden demand for oil imports.

If we tend to forget the effects and solutions (supply diversification) to
the 1973 oil embargo, Hurricane Katrina has certainly pushed them back on
the table. ANWR oil means diversity of supply. ANWR oil means a safer more
secure supply of oil. ANWR oil is indeed a new egg in a stronger basket.

In the past several days many very informative articles have been written
on the effects of Katrina on the energy situation in America. Below are
links to several articles that do an excellent job of portraying the
issue.

Ben Lieberman: The Post-Katrina Jump at the Pump  Unavoidable?, The
Heritage Foundation, September 6, 2005

Jon Basil Utley: Alaskan Oil A Key to Keeping Our Freedoms, Antiwar.com,
September 6, 2005,

Storm Warning: Daily Policy Digest Energy Issues, Sept 8, 2005. National
Center for Policy Analysis

Martin Wolf: How Oil Adds to the Economys Fragility, The Financial Times
September 6, 2005, (pay service)
:: Posted on September 10, 2005 ::
 ::

Other Resources...

Structured Settlements - cash for structured settlements, sell annuity,
lottery winnings, and more.

View our ANWR Flash Movie!

Web anwr.org

Ten reasons to support responsible oil development in Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge

View our ANWR Powerpoint Presentation

ANWR Quicklinks

Media Kit

Remember:More people have died in Ted Kennedy's car than have died in
United States Commercial Nuclear Power plant operations
 visit my web site at
http://www.info-quest.org
Visit my energy page at  http://www.info-quest.org/Energy.html
Check out the latest on the anwr drilling project http://www.anwr.org
visit my blog at
http://info-spectrum.blogspot.com
 My ICQ# is 79071904
See the Pledge of alleginace to the flag that the 9th circuit court of
appeals doesn't want you to say.
for a precise list of the powers of the Federal Government linkto:
http://www.info-quest.org/Enumerated.html

www.ctrl.org