-Caveat Lector-

Wednesday, April 28, 1999 Published at 14:12 GMT 15:12 UK

Computer's inventor snubbed by industry

Alan Turing: "I do think we owe him an awful lot"

An appeal to raise funds for a statue to British mathematician Alan Turing,
the "father of computer science", has failed to receive the backing of a
single computer company.

Sculptor Glynn Hughes, who speaks for the appeal, said he found it hard to
explain why computer firms had not contributed "a single penny" to the
£55,000 needed to honour their industry's founder.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "What I hear repeatedly from
academics and professionals in the computer business in Britain is it's
because he wasn't American."

US software giant Microsoft has since said that it is giving the appeal
"urgent consideration".

Another market leader, Apple, has also said it is thinking about setting up
a secure website which could receive credit card donations over the
Internet.

Battle of the Atlantic
Alan Turing's massive contribution to computer science has been described
as "epoch making".
It was during the 1930s, while at King's College, Cambridge, that he first
expounded his theory of a machine that could use numbers to carry out
functions similar to thought processes.

The 1999 stamp commemorating Alan Turing
He suggested it should be called an "electronic computer".

He went on to apply his work and his genius for mathematics to the problem
of cracking the Enigma cipher used by German U-boats during World War II.

He deciphered it using a machine called the "Bombe" while working at the
British Intelligence codebreaking centre at Bletchley Park, near Milton
Keynes.

The breakthrough is credited with giving the Allies the upper hand in the
Battle of the Atlantic.
'National hero'
Mr Hughes said: "The phrase that was used of him was: 'No single individual
played a greater part in the winning of the war than Alan Turing.'

"I do think we owe him an awful lot."

The bronze statue of Mr Turing seated on a bench was meant to have been
unveiled last year in Sackville Park, Manchester, the city where he later
worked and died.

"I think a bronze statue is traditionally how we celebrate our national
heroes," said Mr Hughes.

"It's got the university science buildings...on one side and its got all
the gay bars on the other side, where apparently he spent most of his
evenings."

Suicide by poison
The later years of Mr Turing's life were marred by his arrest and
conviction in 1951 over his sexual relationship with a young Manchester
man. He committed suicide with cyanide in 1954.

If plans for the statue go ahead, it will not be the first time he has been
honoured.

There is already an Alan Turing Way in Manchester and last January the
Royal Mail issued a 63p stamp to the great inventor, designed by the artist
Sir Eduardo Paolozzi.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_330000/330376.stm