-Caveat Lector-

Demagoguery at the Pump
By Doug Patton on May 02, 2006

If a $100 rebate from the federal treasury is the most creative public
policy proposal Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist can envision to deal
with three-dollar-plus gasoline, the gentleman from Tennessee should
explore employment opportunities other than seeking the White House in two
years.

What gives a representative of my federal government the idea he has the
authority to rebate a pittance of my own money back to me in order to pay
for a few gallons of gasoline? In what twisted, inside-the-beltway,
revisionist version of the U.S. Constitution does a member of the United
States Senate find such a goofy idea enumerated?

Is the honorable majority leader so out of touch he doesnt realize that
$100 is only enough for about two-and-a-half tanks of gas at current
prices? How about eliminating about two thirds of the bloated federal
budget so you can cut my taxes, senator? Then I can decide whether to put
that money in my tank or invest it in a mutual fund.

Then there is the weak response from the White House.

How am I supposed to respond to a president who, in time of war, announces
that he is tapping into the nations strategic oil reserve for the sole
purpose of dropping the cost of gasoline a few cents at the pump? And what
am I to think about the fact that he has just called for more oil
exploration after five years of capitulation to environmental extremists
and left-wing Democrats, who, despite the fact that they are in the
minority, still mysteriously manage to forbid drilling in a tiny section
of the vast wilderness known as the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve in
Alaska, off the coast of California or off the Florida Gulf Coast? More
oil exploration? Explore where, Mr. President?

Is this really the best the party in power in Washington can do?

Of course, the ideas coming from the minority party are even sillier.
Demagoguery being what it is during an election year, the hyperbole is
already flowing like molten lava from the campaign spin machines of
Democrats like Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Nebr., who has just called for an
investigation into price gouging. A popular position, perhaps, but look
for Nelsons GOP opponent to point out to voters that his posturing cant
hide the fact that he has consistently voted against drilling in ANWR.

There are those who believe that big oil should be giving discounts to
Americans, as though we somehow deserve cheap oil while the rest of the
world pays though the nose for it. Ironically, with more than a third of
the worlds population residing in the developing economies of China and
India, the emergence of these nations from the stereotypical squalor that
has plagued their people for centuries is now exacerbating the problem,
especially when combined with the restrictions on exploration. In a global
economy, increased demand naturally dictates the cost of crude oil.

To those who believe that oil companies should give price breaks to
Americans, I ask this question: Are you old enough to remember the gas
lines of the 1970s? If not, have you ever seen footage of them on the
news? It wasnt pretty, and personally, I would rather pay the prevailing
price than return to those days.

My favorite unworkable Democrat plan, however, is the so-called windfall
profits tax on big oil. This one plays well with those who see oil
companies as the source of most evil in America. Proponents of such
nonsense include such rabid lefties as Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-NY. That is
exactly what we do not need, another tax, because corporations dont pay
taxes; they simply pass them on to us, a concept liberals just dont seem
to grasp.

 Copyright 2006 by Doug Patton

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
By Doug Patton on May 02, 2006 | Email | Profile   Permalink

Email This Article to someone.

The items below only apply to non-columnist opeds:

Author:    Email:

Editor: Views are those of individual authors and not necessarily those of
NewsByUs.

Content is Copyright 2005-2006 the individual authors.

Remember:More people have died in Ted Kennedy's car than have died in
United States Commercial Nuclear Power plant operations
 visit my web site at
http://www.info-quest.org
Visit my energy page at  http://www.info-quest.org/Energy.html
Check out the latest on the anwr drilling project http://www.anwr.org
visit my blog at
http://info-spectrum.blogspot.com
 My ICQ# is 79071904
See the Pledge of alleginace to the flag that the 9th circuit court of
appeals doesn't want you to say.
for a precise list of the powers of the Federal Government linkto:
http://www.info-quest.org/Enumerated.html

www.ctrl.org