Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 07:28:59 -0700
From: Paul Blumstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Recipient List Suppressed:  ;
Subject: [JBirch] Questions for Al Gore

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=052506C

Questions for Al Gore
By Dr. Roy Spencer : BIO| 25 May 2006

Dear Mr. Gore:

I have just seen your new movie, "An Inconvenient Truth," about the
threat that global warming presents to humanity. I think you did a
very good job of explaining global warming theory, and your
presentation was effective. Please convey my compliments to your good
friend, Laurie David, for a job well done.

As a climate scientist myself -- you might remember me...I'm the one
you mistook for your "good friend," UK scientist Phil Jones during my
congressional testimony some years back -- I have a few questions
that occurred to me while watching the movie.

1) Why did you make it look like hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires,
floods, droughts, and ice calving off of glaciers and falling into
the ocean, are only recent phenomena associated with global warming?
You surely know that hurricane experts have been warning congress for
many years that the natural cycle in hurricanes would return some
day, and that our built-up coastlines were ripe for a disaster (like
Katrina, which you highlighted in the movie). And as long as snow
continues to fall on glaciers, they will continue to flow downhill
toward the sea. Yet you made it look like these things wouldn't
happen if it weren't for global warming. Also, since there are
virtually no measures of severe weather showing a recent increase, I
assume those graphs you showed actually represented damage increases,
which are well known to be simply due to greater population and
wealth. Is that right?

2) Why did you make it sound like all scientists agree that climate
change is manmade and not natural? You mentioned a recent literature
review study that supposedly found no peer-reviewed articles that
attributed climate change to natural causes (a non-repeatable study
which has since been refuted....I have a number of such articles in
my office!) You also mentioned how important it is to listen to
scientists when they warn us, yet surely you know that almost all
past scientific predictions of gloom and doom have been wrong. How
can we trust scientists' predictions now?

3) I know you still must feel bad about the last presidential
election being stolen from you, but why did you have to make fun of
Republican presidents (Reagan; both Bushes) for their views on global
warming? The points you made in the movie might have had wider appeal
if you did not alienate so many moviegoers in this manner.

4) Your presentation showing the past 650,000 years of atmospheric
temperature and carbon dioxide reconstructions from ice cores was
very effective. But I assume you know that some scientists view the
CO2 increases as the result of, rather than the cause of, past
temperature increases. It seems unlikely that CO2 variations have
been the dominant cause of climate change for hundreds of thousands
of years. And now that there is a new source of carbon dioxide
emissions (people), those old relationships are probably not valid
anymore. Why did you give no hint of these alternative views?

5) When you recounted your 6-year-old son's tragic accident that
nearly killed him, I thought that you were going to make the point
that, if you had lived in a poor country like China or India, your
son would have probably died. But then you later held up these
countries as model examples for their low greenhouse gas emissions,
without mentioning that the only reason their emissions were so low
was because people in those countries are so poor. I'm confused...do
you really want us to live like the poor people in India and China?

6) There seems to be a lot of recent concern that more polar bears
are drowning these days because of disappearing sea ice. I assume you
know that polar bears have always migrated to land in late summer
when sea ice naturally melts back, and then return to the ice when it
re-freezes. Also, if this was really happening, why did the movie
have to use a computer generated animation of the poor polar bear
swimming around looking for ice? Haven't there been any actual
observations of this happening? Also, temperature measurements in the
arctic suggest that it was just as warm there in the 1930's...before
most greenhouse gas emissions. Don't you ever wonder whether sea ice
concentrations back then were low, too?

7) Why did you make it sound like simply signing on to the Kyoto
Protocol to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions would be such a big
step forward, when we already know it will have no measurable effect
on global temperatures anyway? And even though it represents such a
small emission reduction, the economic pain Kyoto causes means that
almost no developed country will be meeting its emission reductions
commitments under that treaty, as we are now witnessing in Europe.

8) At the end of the movie, you made it sound like we can mostly fix
the global warming problem by conserving energy... you even claimed
we can reduce our carbon emissions to zero. But I'm sure you know
that this will only be possible with major technological
advancements, including a probable return to nuclear power as an
energy source. Why did you not mention this need for technological
advancement and nuclear power? It is because that would support the
current (Republican) Administration's view?

Mr. Gore, I think we can both agree that if it was relatively easy
for mankind to stop emitting so much carbon dioxide, that we should
do so. You are a very smart person, so I can't understand why you
left so many important points unmentioned, and you made it sound so
easy.

I wish you well in these efforts, and I hope that humanity will make
the right choices based upon all of the information we have on the
subject of global warming. I agree with you that global warming is
indeed a "moral issue," and if we are to avoid doing more harm than
good with misguided governmental policies, we will need more
politicians to be educated on the issue.

Your "Good Friend,"

Dr. Roy W. Spencer
(aka 'Phil Jones')

Everything you need is one?click away.? Make Yahoo! your home page?now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/1dTolB/TM

The opinions expressed on this forum are those of the authors of the articles
posted. The John Birch Society has no responsibility for anything that is
posted in this forum. The OFFICIAL John Birch Society web page is a www.jbs.org
Visit The New American at www.thenewamerican.com for accurate information.
NEW information portal for the John Birch Society:
www.johnbirchsociety.info

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Get FAST unlimited reliable uncensored internet service for $9.95 per month
No Setup Fees.
No Contracts.
No limit on email groups.
5 email accounts at no additional cost.
Fastest Dialup Connection available.

Click here now
http://www.1smartisp.net/sc/?page=ispsignup
Yahoo! Groups Links

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

www.ctrl.org
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance???not soap-boxing???please!   These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'???with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds???is used politically by different groups with