-Caveat Lector-


Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: March 25, 2007 9:06:59 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Iran to Try British Sailors for Espionage

Iran ‘to try Britons for espionage’



Uzi Mahnaimi, Michael Smith and David Cracknell
Times Online (UK), March 25, 2007
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/ article1563877.ece

Fifteen British sailors and marines arrested by Iran’s Revolutionary Guards off the coast of Iraq may be charged with spying.

A website run by associates of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, reported last night that the Britons would be put before a court and indicted.

Referring to them as “insurgents”, the site concluded: “If it is proven that they deliberately entered Iranian territory, they will be charged with espionage. If that is proven, they can expect a very serious penalty since according to Iranian law, espionage is one of the most serious offences.”

The warning followed claims by Iranian officials that the British navy personnel had been taken to Tehran, the capital, to explain their “aggressive action” in entering Iranian waters. British officials insist the servicemen were in Iraqi waters when they were held.

The penalty for espionage in Iran is death. However, similar accusations of spying were made when eight British servicemen were detained in the same area in 2004. They were paraded blindfolded on television but did not appear in court and were freed after three nights in detention.

Iranian student groups called yesterday for the 15 detainees to be held until US forces released five Revolutionary Guards captured in Iraq earlier this year.

Al-Sharq al-Awsat, a Saudi-owned newspaper based in London, quoted an Iranian military source as saying that the aim was to trade the Royal Marines and sailors for these Guards.

The claim was backed by other sources in Tehran. “As soon as the corps’s five members are released, the Britons can go home,” said one source close to the Guards.

He said the tactic had been approved by Ayatollah Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, who warned last week that Tehran would take “illegal actions” if necessary to maintain its right to develop a nuclear programme.

Iran denounced a tightening of sanctions which the United Nations security council was expected to agree last night in protest at Tehran’s insistence on enriching uranium that could be used for nuclear weapons.

Lord Triesman, the Foreign Office minister, met the Iranian ambassador in London yesterday to demand that consular staff be allowed access to the Britons, one of whom is a woman. His intervention came as a senior Iranian general alleged that the Britons had confessed under interrogation to “aggression into Iran’s waters”.

Intelligence sources said any advance order for the arrests was likely to have come from Major-General Yahya Rahim Safavi, the commander of the Revolutionary Guards.

Subhi Sadek, the Guards’ weekly newspaper, warned last weekend that the force had “the ability to capture a bunch of blue-eyed blond- haired officers and feed them to our fighting cocks”.

Safavi is known to be furious about the recent defections to the West of three senior Guards officers, including a general, and the effect of UN sanctions on his own finances.

A senior Iraqi officer appeared to back Tehran’s claim that the British had entered Iranian waters. “We were informed by Iraqi fishermen after they had returned from sea that there were British gunboats in an area that is out of Iraqi control,” said Brigadier- General Hakim Jassim, who is in charge of Iraq’s territorial waters. “We don’t know why they were there.”

Admiral Sir Alan West, the former head of the Royal Navy, dismissed suggestions that the British boats might have been in Iranian waters. West, who was first sea lord when the previous arrests took place in June 2004, said satellite tracking systems had shown then that the Iranians were lying and the same was certain to be true now.

--------------------

15 Britons Taken to Tehran

As Iran Dispute Intensifies

"Recordings made by the seized British vessels attest to the fact that
the sailors were fully aware they were trespassing on Iranian waters."


By Kevin Sullivan
Washington Post, March 25, 2007; A12

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/24/ AR2007032400095.html


LONDON, March 24 -- Fifteen British sailors and marines seized by Iranian naval forces have been taken to Tehran for questioning as a diplomatic dispute between Iran and the West intensified Saturday.

The Iranian Fars news agency reported that the British personnel were being asked to explain what Iran calls their "aggressive" trespass into Iranian territorial waters on Friday. The agency quoted a senior Iranian military official, Alireza Afshar, as saying that the British service members had "confessed" and that if the United States and its allies invaded Iran, they would "not be able to control the dimensions and period of the war."

British officials insist that the sailors and marines, on two small patrol boats, were in Iraqi waters in the Persian Gulf conducting a routine patrol under a U.N. mandate. British officials said the eight sailors and seven marines had just completed an inspection of a merchant ship when they were surrounded by Iranian vessels and captured near Shatt al Arab, a waterway between Iraq and Iran that has long been a source of territorial disputes.

In London, British officials summoned the Iranian ambassador, Rasoul Movahedian, for an hour-long meeting to "reiterate our demand that our people be released immediately," according to a spokesman for the Foreign Office. It was the second such meeting in two days.

The European Union said Saturday that it would demand the "immediate liberation" of the British personnel. "We are doing our utmost in cooperation with the British authorities," E.U. foreign policy chief Javier Solana told reporters in Berlin. "They have our support and solidarity."

A spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Seyed Mohammad Ali Hosseini, said the "illegal and interventionist entry by the British forces into the Iranian waters is a dubious act which contradicts international laws," the Iranian news agency reported.

The agency quoted an unidentified official as saying that Iran had evidence that the British service members knew they had crossed into Iranian territory.

"The explanations provided by the British marines and recordings made by the seized British vessels testify to the fact that the British forces were fully informed they had trespassed the Iranian waters," the official said.

The incident comes at a time when Iran is under increasing international pressure over its nuclear ambitions and its growing influence in Iraq.

The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Saturday to impose tougher sanctions against Iran for its refusal to stop enriching uranium. The United States and several other countries fear that Iran's ultimate goal is to produce a nuclear weapon with its enriched uranium, while Iran insists it is simply exercising its right to create a peaceful nuclear power program.

Officials have said the seizure might be a reprisal for the U.S. detention of five Iranian Revolutionary Guard operatives in January in Iraq. U.S. officials accuse the men of being involved in arming and aiding Shiite militias in Iraq. Iran denies those allegations and has demanded their release.





AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.

www.ctrl.org
DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
==========
CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!   These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with
major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and
always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no
credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector.
========================================================================
Archives Available at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
<A HREF="http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/";>ctrl</A>
========================================================================
To subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Om

Reply via email to