-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: May 2, 2007 3:40:52 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How "the Greatest Republican President" Felt About Pre- Emptive Strikes

From President Reagan's newly-released diaries:
http://news.aol.com/dailypulse/050207/_a/reagans-diaries/ 20070502111509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

June 7, 1981:
"Got word of Israeli bombing of Iraq -- nuclear reactor. I swear I believe Armageddon is near."

--------

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110004197

The radical insufficiency of the [Non-Proliferation Treaty] confirms once again the wisdom of deploying a missile-defense shield. This project, widely ridiculed when it was first proposed by Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, has become an urgent national imperative. The U.S. needs a strategic system to defend its own skies, and portable ship- or airborne theater systems to defend its allies. But even if we could deploy an impermeable missile shield tomorrow (and no missile shield is likely to be impermeable), there are other ways than missiles to deliver nuclear weapons. Such weapons can be packed into shipping containers and brought into American ports, or smuggled across our borders wrapped inside, say, a bale of marijuana. Countering this particular facet of the threat defensively is virtually impossible -- a fact that points toward yet another urgent imperative.

In the National Security Strategy that he unveiled at West Point in June 2002, President Bush enunciated a doctrine of pre-emption. Certain kinds of international challenges, he said, must be forcibly answered before the evidence of danger is presented to us in the shape of a mushroom cloud. The United States, Bush declared, "can no longer solely rely on a reactive posture as we have in the past":

"The inability to deter a potential attacker, the immediacy of today's threats, and the magnitude of the potential harm that could be caused by our adversaries' choice of weapons, do not permit that option. We cannot let our enemies strike first." This was precisely Israel's thinking when it destroyed Iraq's reactor at Osirak in 1981. At the time, Israel's action was condemned by all the countries of the world, including the United States. In its unanimous resolution, the U.N. Security Council asserted that Iraq was a member in good standing of the NPT, had "accepted [IAEA] safeguards on its nuclear activities, and . . . these safeguards have been satisfactorily applied to date." It went on to denounce Israel's raid as a "danger to international peace." We can now see things as they are -- that is, just as the government of Israel saw them in 1981. In the aftermath of Sept. 11, fanatical anti-American regimes like those ruling Iran and North Korea cannot be permitted to obtain weapons that can be easily hidden and used without warning to destroy entire cities in an instant. If peaceful means of persuasion have been exhausted, it is incumbent on us to consider, coolly, other means.

Unfortunately, military action is not likely to be as simple as it was for Israel at Osirak -- not that that operation was in the least simple. Rehearsed for months by the Israeli air force, it required up-to-date intelligence, superb airmanship, and total surprise to succeed. It also had to be done within a narrow window of time, before the reactor went critical; otherwise, there was a real possibility of radiological contamination over a large area.

----------------

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jksonc/docs/iran-nuclear-analysis.html

Bushehr [in Iran was] a light water, nuclear electricity reactor, is specified for 1000 megawatts.

Bushehr is a Russian redesign of the original German reactor, which was nearly finished, before Iraq bombed it 7 times, to smithereens, during the Iraq-Iran war (1981-1988).

The U.S. military was stationed in Baghdad at the time, assisting Saddam, as a co-belligerent with Iraq, in Iraq’s criminal war of aggression against Iran. This, in violation of the U.S. Constitution, without a vote in Congress to declare war on Iran. Ronald Reagan, and his complicit U.S. military command, frequently violated the U.S. Constitution in this way, an enemy within, a silent coup d'état, against the U.S. Constitution. Donald Rumsfeld (special Presidential envoy), George H.W. Bush (U.S. Vice President), and others personally conveyed offers and advise to Saddam, including what targets in Iran the Iraqi air force should attack, provided Saddam with tactical intelligence, arms, munitions, and such. See, e.g., Howard Teicher (U.S. National Security Council staff, responsible for the Middle East and for Political-Military Affairs 1982-1987), affidavit dated January 31 1995, United States v. Carlos Cardoen, et al. (S.D. Florida, No. 93-241-CR), and see, Derek Mitchell, Michael Bevin, timeline, US- Iraq 1980s (Cooperative Research).

Did Iraq bomb Bushehr on U.S. orders, or just advise?

Bushehr --then and now-- is a “civilian object.” Bombing it, is a textbook violent war crime, by the Iraqi chain of command AND by EACH U.S. OFFICIAL who may have incited, aided and abetted, conspired, or facilitated such attacks.

-----------------

A SHORT QUIZ FOR GEORGE W. BUSH

http://onesimplequestion.blogspot.com/2004/08/just-one-question.html

1. Mr. President, on June 7, 1981, Israel sent a strike force of eight F-16's which destroyed Saddam Hussein's nuclear reactor in Osirik just before it came online and started enriching the plutonium necessary for Iraq to manufacture nuclear bombs. (I'm not going to ask you to pronounce the word "nuclear," so you can relax.) When President Ronald Reagan --whom you recently declared is one of the greatest presidents in history-- learned of Israel's pre-emptive strike on a country which was determined to wipe Israel off the map, did he:

(a) Praise Israel's courage and initiative in removing an imminent nuclear threat from the arsenal of a genocidal madman who would assuredly have instigated a nuclear war in the Middle East.

or

(b) Angrily condemn the Israeli raid and cut off American arms sales to Israel because it had used American built jet fighters on the raid.

2. Mr. President, on December 20, 1983, Ronald Reagan sent special envoy Donald Rumsfeld, who is now your Secretary of Defense, to Baghdad to meet with Saddam Hussein. When Mr. Rumsfeld met with Saddam, did he:

(a) Inform him of the United States' displeasure with Iraq's starting a war against Iran to seize its oil fields and then condemn Saddam's horrible human rights record, including Iraq's use of chemical weapons against Iranian soldiers in violation of international law.

or

(b) Shake hands with Saddam, renew U.S. ties with Iraq, and ask Saddam what assistance in addition to military satellite intelligence and other support the United States could secretly provide to Iraq.

3. Mr. President, in 1990, four days before Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, after Saddam had gassed tens of thousands of Iranians and Kurds, did your father, President George H. W. Bush, and his Secretary of State, James Baker, send the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, April Glaspie, to tell Saddam:

(a) "Kuwait is a sovereign nation and our country will not allow Iraq to wage aggressive war to invade Kuwait's territory or seize its oil wells."

or

(b) "I have direct instructions from President Bush to improve our relations with Iraq. We have considerable sympathy for your quest for higher oil prices, the immediate cause of your confrontation with Kuwait. As you know, I lived here for years and admire your extraordinary efforts to rebuild your country.... We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary (of State James) Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960's, that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America."

See what's free at AOL.com.

www.ctrl.org