-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: June 9, 2007 3:22:35 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Ach(tung) du Lieberman -- More Mischief from "Moles" Among the Democrats

VOTE ALERT:

Chamber of Commerce Pushes Lieberman Bill

to Gut Sanders H-1B Bill

As an update to my last post, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s top lobbyist has sent a letter to all U.S. Senators urging them to vote AGAINST the bipartisan Sanders-Grassley bill that would PREVENT companies that are engaging in mass layoffs of American workers from using the H-1B visa program to hire lower-paid foreign workers.

They are specifically asking Senators to vote for a “secondary amendment” by Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut that would gut the Sanders-Grassley proposal.

Here are a few excerpts of the letter:

“On behalf of the United States Chamber of Commerce, the world’s largest business federation of more than 3 million businesses of every size, sector, and region, I urge you to OPPOSE the Sanders- Grassley amendment to S. 1348, the ‘Secure Borders, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Reform Act of 2007.’

This amendment would prohibit companies from obtaining any H-1B workers if there has been a notice or a “mass layoff” under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act in the past year, or if there will be a layoff in the next six months. Also, the Chamber urges you to support a side-by-side offered by Senator Lieberman. The Sanders-Grassley amendment is unnecessary …

Further, this amendment sweeps too broadly, and is completely unworkable, since it would effectively bar an employer from using H-1B workers if it had a ‘mass layoff’ in the past year or anticipated one in the near future.”

It’s really unbelievable how shameless people are in Washington -- its just AOK to oppose legislation that would prevent abuse of the H-1B program by corporate executives who want to use it to lay off American workers and hire lower-paid foreign workers. And I’m still amazed (though I know I shouldn’t be) that Lieberman is carrying the bill to gut this commonsense proposal.

His corruption is now just so out there for everyone to see, bringing him down to a new level of shamelessness. He’s pushing the poison pill as a clear payback to the Chamber for the massive ad buy the organization did for him during his tough-fought re- election race.

Here’s the New Haven Register’s details on that from 9/9/06:

“The U.S. Chamber of Commerce ran an ad from Sept. 1-7 for Lieberman, part of a $10 million national campaign to back candidates responsive to business interests who are in competitive races…Geoff O’Hara, executive director for the Eastern Region of the chamber, cited the senator’s votes on free trade legislation, transportation funding, bankruptcy reform and class-action legal reform as particularly important to them.”

I’ll update folks on the bill’s progress as I get more information.

See what's free at AOL.com.

www.ctrl.org