-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: June 22, 2007 4:09:52 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Red-White-and-Blue Berets -- Special Ops on Main Street USA

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/21/us-special-ops-forces-on- american-soil/

U.S. special ops forces on American soil.

“The U.S. military command in charge of protecting the homeland asked the Pentagon earlier this year for a contingent of special operations officers to help with domestic anti-terrorism missions.”

Military sources told The Examiner that U.S. Northern Command, established at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado in 2002, requested its own special operations command similar to ones assigned to overseas war-fighting commands, such as U.S. Central Command.

The request was approved six months ago by the then-commander of NorthCom, Adm. Timothy Keating, who has since moved to U.S. Pacific Command.

Keating's request to the Pentagon raised some eyebrows because of the sensitivity of deploying commandos domestically.

"The possibility of military operations inside the United States is something we have to plan for in the age of international terrorism," said Daniel Gallington, a former policy adviser to former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Keating’s decision, which “raised some eyebrows because of the sensitivity of deploying commandos domestically,” is now being reviewed by the new NorthCom commander, Air Force Gen. Gene Renuart.

Comments

Try this link:

http://www.examiner.com/ a-790871~Military_reviews_placing_special_ops_on_U_S__soil.html

Comment by Briseadh na Faire — June 21, 2007 @ 1:00 pm

It seems the legions have finally crossed the Rubicon.

The Republic is dead, long live the Republic.

Comment by Gregor Samsa — June 21, 2007 @ 1:12 pm

Look at it this way:
If they suspect YOU ( whether or not you are) are a terrorist, the police/FBI will arrest you.
Special Forces (Rangers, Seals, Green Beret) will KILL YOU.

Comment by Wayne — June 21, 2007 @ 1:24 pm

JG sez: Would “domestic terrorists” be the same thing as “Enemy Combantats”?

The Patriot Act defines a “domestic terrorist” as someone who commits “acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws…[and] that appear to be intended…to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion.”

In other words, anyone attending a demonstration, even a peaceful one, could be labeled such.

In contrast, the Patriot Act defines an “enemy combatant” as anyone who may have violated any of the provisions of section 802 (the definition of “domestic terrorist” outlined above).

In other words, we’re all “enemy combatants” right now, and have no rights in the eyes of the Chimperor.

Democracy is not dying…it’s dead and buried.

Comment by TripMaster Monkey — June 21, 2007 @ 1:53 pm

Ok everyone, I want you to dust-off that copy of “V for Vendetta” and prepare to fight back! The tanks are coming any day now and we MUST be ready.

Now where the schmeck did I leave my mask and cape?

Comment by Little Brown Person — June 21, 2007 @ 12:58 pm

See what's free at AOL.com.

www.ctrl.org