-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: July 6, 2007 3:11:57 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: As Halliburton Goes, So Goes the World -- Goodbye USA, Hello Persian Gulf

Emirates aims to redraw world aviation map

by Leslie Wayne
Published: July 5, 2007http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/05/ business/emirates.php

PARIS: The chairman of Emirates Airlines -- Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al-Maktoum of the ruling family of Dubai -- has grand ambitions, and a bankroll to match.

He has a huge pot of money to spend, $82 billion from his government, the airline and other financiers. He loves large planes and has ordered 55 super-jumbo A380s to create the biggest fleet of these double-decker planes in the world. And he wants to make Dubai, a sheikhdom by the sea, the busiest airport in the world, overtaking London, New York, and Singapore.

Some may consider Maktoum's goals overreaching, but he has delivered so far on all his promises. He built Emirates Airlines from a two-plane operation, started with $10 million in 1985, into one of the world's largest international carriers, with 105 planes. Emirates is the world's fastest-growing airline -- it will take delivery of one new Boeing or Airbus plane a month for the next five years -- and Maktoum said he would like to see it become, some day, the world's biggest.

"We've never seen anything like it before," said Robert Cullemore, a consultant at Aviation Economics, a London-based aerospace advisory firm. "We've never seen growth at this rate."

Of course, success for Maktoum is not just a simple matter of buying airplanes. He must still compete with well-established carriers plying many of the same routes as Emirates, attract enough passengers to fill his vast fleet profitably and hope that the economies of the Middle East, including Dubai, and emerging markets in Asia and the Indian subcontinent, continue to expand to justify the Emirates' massive investment.

But at the recent Paris Air Show, Maktoum seemed unfazed by those concerns. He met with the Louis Gallois, the Airbus chief executive, to sign a deal that added eight more A380s, with a list price of $2.6 billion, to his fleet.

He held a news conference to tout Dubai's plan to spend $82 billion over the next decade on aviation, including building a new $33 billion Dubai World Central International Airport, which is to have six runways and to become the world's largest airport.

"What we are witnessing today," Maktoum said at the time, "is the rewriting of the world's aviation history and the beginning of a new era of global aviation."

Being oil-rich helps. Emirates Airlines, said Howard Rubel, an aerospace analyst with Jefferies and Company, "has got cash, clout and cache."

"What's surprising is the rapid emergence of the Emirates as a player," Rubel added. "The economies of the Middle East are the fastest growing in the world. So what do they do? They buy planes. But five years ago it was like, 'Who are these guys?' "

Aviation has helped transform Dubai, which was a desert trading post with hardly a paved road just 50 years ago, from being fly- over country to a place where people are flying in. About 25.6 million passengers landed there last year.

The plan to develop Dubai was created by Maktoum's late older brother and is now overseen by the current ruler, Maktoum's nephew, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum.

Once a pearl-diving outpost that grew rich with oil revenues in the 1970s and 1980s, modern Dubai seems built on hyperbole.

Oil revenues have been declining as a percentage of Dubai's economy prepares for the day that its reserves dwindle. Today, oil represents only 5 percent of Dubai's economy, which increasingly relies on revenue from superluxurious hotels, a growing financial center and on serving as the regional headquarters for global brands.

For instance, Halliburton, the oil services company, is moving its headquarters from Houston to Dubai, and such American companies as Universal Studios, Nickelodeon, Microsoft and Cisco are also setting up offices.

Dubai is on a $365 billion building spree, and more development means more flights for the carrier. Construction projects include the Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building, and the Mall of Arabia, the world's largest shopping mall.

The 1,500-square-mile, or almost 4000-square-kilometer, emirate is also building "Dubailand" - a leisure park bigger than Monaco - and the Dubai Waterfront, a development of condos and stores that will be the size of Barbados.

At the center of this development spree is the Maktoum family and Maktoum, 49, who exudes a quiet confidence. In an interview at the luxurious Bristol Hotel here, where he was about to host a reception, Maktoum said that "when we started talking about expanding our airline, people thought we were bluffing or that it would take twenty to thirty years."

"But we've proven them wrong," he added, while puffing on an ever- present cigarette. "I do believe we are rewriting history and we believe that we can do it in a short time."

Emirates currently accounts for about one-third of all the orders for Airbus A380s. The next closest customer is Qantas, with 20 A380s on order.

Moreover, since the ruling family is also the government, there is a minimum of red tape and an ease of decision-making. Maktoum, for instance, pointed out that if there are insufficient customs agents to process incoming passengers, he can just get more.

The airline also benefits from an enviable location - Emirates bases its strategy on the fact that its planes can reach any point on the globe nonstop from Dubai and can connect any two city pairs with just one stop in the Middle East. It also is further along developing a hub than other airlines in the region.

"Sheikh Ahmed is making a huge bet and we'll see how it works out," said Edmund Greenslet, publisher of the Airline Monitor, a trade publication. "We won't know for another decade. His concept is to make Dubai the hub for travel between Asia and the West. But new planes are being designed to go from city-to-city nonstop and to make that paradigm obsolete. He may be making a huge bet on a system that may not be as valid in the future as it has been in the past."

Cullemore of Aviation Economics disagrees. While planes might fly nonstop from London to Beijing or Tokyo, there are a lot of other European, Asian and African cities that cannot offer nonstop flights.

The Emirates is one of the prime customers for both Boeing and Airbus, not only for the size of its orders, but also because it buys the high-margin interiors that please passengers and are extremely profitable for the aircraft makers.

Its first-class seats feature flat-beds with in-seat massage and personal mini-bars, while its in-flight entertainment includes 600 channels, e-mail connections and seat-to-seat telephones for in- flight chats.

"One of the issues becoming obvious in the [global] aviation industry is that it is not about the United States anymore," said Jon Kutler, head of Admiralty Partners, a Los Angeles aerospace private equity firm. "It's an extraordinary shift in power. Airlines like the Emirates are pushing for the latest and greatest -- an obvious contrast with American carriers that are nickel-and- diming the passengers."

It is not only big planes and a new airport that Maktoum is spending his $82 billion on.

The rest is going to Dubai Aerospace Enterprises, which includes aircraft leasing, an aircraft maintenance program, aviation information technology and a new aviation university. In addition, $4.5 billion is going to expand the existing Dubai airport to accommodate A380s.

One remaining market -- still somewhat untapped -- is the United States. Emirates has daily flights from New York and just recently added Houston. It would like to start flights to San Francisco, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Maktoum doubts that many American tourists would fly all the way to Dubai for vacation, but he sees a growing business market, led by Halliburton's relocation to Dubai.

"Once you have one, others will follow," Maktoum said. "It's like getting an anchor tenant. It has the pull to make others come."

See what's free at AOL.com.

www.ctrl.org