-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: July 16, 2007 7:21:06 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Stealing the Far Right's Weapons -- How to Limit the "Frame" of Acceptable Ideas

THE POLITICAL WINDOW OF ACCEPTANCE

joe_at_rockridge (Rockridge Institute staff member) July 16, 2007 02:17 PM http://www.rockridgenation.org/blog/archive/2007/07/16/thinking- points-discussion-the-political-window-of-acceptance

Many political strategists on the right promote the use of extreme positions to make the ones they seek to achieve appear more reasonable. At the same time, strategists on the left have encouraged candidates to "move toward the center" to win swing votes. The right has successfully shifted political discourse in their favor. Progressives can shift the debate back to the left by understanding how the political mind works. Conservatives have successfully shifted political discourse in their favor.

Our work at the Rockridge Institute is devoted to empowering progressives to reverse this trend through knowledge from the cognitive sciences. In this article I would like to present the analytical technique called the Overton Window created by Joe Overton of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a right-wing think tank devoted to privatization of public schools.

Some progressives, including a Daily Kos blogger, have promoted this technique as a way for progressives to shift public discourse back to the left. It has been described on Wikipedia and is discussed on this website. One thing that is missing from these presentations is how it works! The strengths (and limitations) of the Overton Window can only be seen when we talk about it in the context of the human brain.

The Overton Window: What is it?
Public opinion changes regularly. At any given time, there are some ideas that are acceptable and others that are radically unacceptable. The Overton Window is the range of ideas that are considered to be acceptable at the moment. The clever idea behind this is that it is possible to shift this window of acceptability.

There is a range of possible reactions to an idea (such as universal health care):

Unthinkable
Radical
Acceptable
Sensible
Popular
Policy

At any given time, the idea of having universal health care will be at one of these locations. Overton described a method for moving that window, thereby including previously excluded ideas, while excluding previously acceptable ideas. The technique relies on people promoting ideas even less acceptable than the previous "outer fringe" ideas, making those old fringe ideas look less extreme, and thereby acceptable.

Pictorial View

This graphic illustrates the reality that right now the window has been shifted far to the right. As progressives learn to reframe the debate, we can shift it back to the left -- only if we know how.

How it Works
The thing that is lacking in previous presentations of the Overton Window is an explanation of how the brain makes this shift possible. It has to do with framing and metaphors. Let's start with the metaphors for the window itself.

The Linear Metaphor
In chapter 2 of Thinking Points, the idea of an ideological center is shown to have limitations - discussed further here. One of the metaphors used to make sense of the center is the linear metaphor, which is the notion that people are lined up from left to right in their political orientation. This line-up is understood differently for the Overton Window, where levels of public acceptance are placed on a line from left to right.

The Window Metaphor
The range of acceptable values is understood as being a window that can slide from left to right. This window is continuous, meaning there is not a single value within that range that is excluded.

The Reference Point
In order to shift the metaphorical window, there needs to be a shift of acceptability. How does it happen? The idea is that a new reference point for considering options must be created. If an extreme view is presented several times, it conditions the discussion by making less extreme versions of the same argument appear more reasonable by comparison.

Putting all of these components together we start to get an idea of how the concept works. But we still don't know what the reference points are or how the repetition of extreme versions of the position can shift the window. This is the most important part!

What's Missing?
The thing that is missing is the set of mechanisms involved in creating a new reference point and shifting the concepts involved. This is where an understanding of the brain is so important. It is necessary to know that ideas must be wired in our brains to be part of our thoughts. The neural wirings get stronger each time they are used. Thus the need to repeat the extreme idea. It evokes the frame that makes sense of the idea and reinforces the neural connections that allow it to exist in your brain.

Correction to Overton Window
It is not really the case that the extreme view is "compared" with the less extreme view. The reality is that the frame that supports the extreme view is reinforced in the brain, which makes all versions of this idea (including less extreme versions) more "reasonable" because they are easier to think of.

As progressive frames are repeated, the ideas carried with them become more familiar to people. For example, the idea that government is meant to protect citizens from harm starts to make sense as the way government is (and should be) - but only if it is said often by several people. This is how the idea becomes more acceptable, not because it is compared to a "more extreme" version.

Another thing that is not mentioned at all in the Overton Window technique, but is widely used by conservatives, is to repeatedly use negative stereotypes to describe the progressive side of the argument. This is where the "extreme" view appears. In the process, a negative impression is built up around the people who support the progressive argument. The negative environmentalist stereotype for "tree huggers" is an example of this. People do not want to identify with the negative stereotype. At the same time, they are attracted to positive stereotypes used to promote the conservative position.

Progressives can do this too. We can point out the negative stereotypes for conservative positions while promoting positive stereotypes for progressives. But it will not be successful if we don't get the framing right.

Another thing that is missing is the understanding that people have two different moral worldviews based on metaphors of the family. If the nurturant family concepts are more active, the person will take progressive positions on issues. If the strict father family concepts are more active, the person will take conservative positions on issues. The fact that both sets of concepts are present in people (explaining how a progressive can understand most war movies and conservatives can understand most family dramas) tells us that we need to use frames that evoke the moral worldview of progressives.

www.ctrl.org