-Caveat Lector-

 Feds, Mormons try unconstitutional power grab today
<
http://www.total411.info/2007/09/feds-mormons-try-unconstitutional-power.html>
[http://www.rollcall.com/issues/53_28/news/20033-1.html]

<http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/documents/constitution/draft/images/2.jpg>

>From *Roll Call* September 18,
2007<http://www.rollcall.com/issues/53_28/news/20033-1.html>:

"Today is a make-or-break day for the District of Columbia House Voting
Rights Act, as the Senate is scheduled to vote on a procedural motion that
would advance the measure for limited debate and a vote.

But whether Democrats have the 60 votes needed to invoke cloture on the bill
remained unclear Monday. Five Republicans and almost all of the 51 members
of the Democratic Conference have gone on the record in favor of the
measure, leaving just a handful of votes up in the air.

If the cloture motion fails, it would be a massive setback for the voting
rights effort, potentially dooming the bill this Congress. Still, backers of
the bill remained optimistic Monday, saying they are confident the motion
will pass.

"We've got the right team, we've got the right city, we've got the right
issue," D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty (D) told supporters outside the Dirksen
Senate Office Building. "And I actually think we've got the right Congress
as well."

Sen. Joe Lieberman (ID-Conn.) joined Utah Sens. Orrin Hatch (R) and Bob
Bennett (R) in sponsoring the compromise bill, which *would grant the
District a full vote in the House while also giving one to Utah. *
[...]
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has been outspoken against
the bill, which he repeatedly has labeled unconstitutional.

McConnell took to the floor on Monday afternoon to explain his beliefs,
pointing to Article 1, Section 2 of the Constitution, which states Members
of the House shall be chosen by "the People of the several States."

There's no question that the framers of the Constitution intended the
federal city to be a separate entity from the states, which Congress could
control, he said.

"To vote for it would violate our oath of office, in which we solemnly swear
to support and defend the Constitution," McConnell said. "If the residents
of the District are to get a Member for themselves, they have a remedy:
Amend the Constitution."

[...]
-----

--