 See what's new at http://www.aol.com

www.ctrl.org

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

Lieberman’s Hawkish Iran Amendment
Is ‘Cheney’s Fondest Pipe Dream’

_http://thinkprogress.org/2007/09/25/webb-kyl-lieb-iran/_
(http://thinkprogress.org/2007/09/25/webb-kyl-lieb-iran/)
On the Senate floor today, Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) made an impassioned appeal to
his fellow senators, declaring that the _Lieberman-Kyl amendment_
(http://thinkprogress.org/2007/09/25/kyl-iran-fox/)  on Iran should be
“withdrawn”
because the “proposal is Dick Cheney’s fondest pipe dream.” Webb cautioned that
the “cleverly-worded sense of the Congress” could be “interpreted” to “declare
war” on Iran. He continued:
Those who regret their vote five years ago to authorize military action in
Iraq should think hard before supporting this approach. Because, in my view, it
has the same potential to do harm where many are seeking to do good.
“At best, it’s a deliberate attempt to divert attention from a failed
diplomatic policy,” said Webb. “At worst, it could be read as a backdoor method
of
gaining Congressional validation for military action, without one hearing and
without serious debate.” Watch it:

Webb said that amendment’s attempt to categorize the Iran’s Islamic
Revolutionary Guard Corp as “a foreign terrorist organization” would, for all
practical purposes, “mandate” the military option against Iran.
“It could be read as tantamount to a declaration of war. What do we do with
terrorist organizations? If they are involved against us, we attack them.”
He also slammed the lack of debate and examination that was accompanying the
amendment, saying “this is not the way to make foreign policy”:
We haven’t had one hearing on this. I’m on the Foreign Relations Committee, I
’m on the Armed Services Committee. We are about to vote on something that
may fundamentally change the way the United States views the Iranian military
and we haven’t had one hearing. This is not the way to make foreign policy.  It’
s not the way to declare war.

www.ctrl.org