-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 05/03/1999 2:40:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< http://www.suntimes.co.za:80/1999/05/02/news/news07.htm
 -

 Children attacked by flesh-eating bacteria after taking medicine
 ANDRE JURGENS >>

<< CHILDREN with chickenpox who are fed over-the-counter painkillers run
 the risk of being infected by a deadly flesh-eating bacterium.

 Doctors say the only way to treat the aggressive bacterium - which
 dissolves human flesh - is by amputating infected limbs and treating
 patients with antibiotics.

 The dangerous link between household medication, chickenpox and the
 bacterium was exposed in a medical alert to doctors this week. >>

Medical/pharmaceutical practices in the United States are very interesting.
A medical letter I subscribe to had the following warning in its
November-December l995 edition.

....the disease is most common in diaabetics and alcoholics, whose immunity
is impaired, but many victims have been in normal health.  However, according
to doctors at Otago University Medical School, New Zealand, many of these
normal people have been taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
 These are the drugs, such as ibuprofen, that are so widely used for
arthritis and all kinds of pain, and which can now be purchased without a
prescription.  It makes sense that NSAIDs encourage the disease since they
not only lessen pain and inflammation, but also interfere with the body's
ability to limit tissue destruction by bacteria.  Thus, an expert from our
federal Center for Disease Control (CDC) points out, the recent increase in
number of small children with flesh-eating disease coincides with the
marketing of a liquid pediatric preparation of ibuprofen.  Meanwhile, we can
try to protect ourselves from this disease by using acetaminophen instead of
NSAIDs, and by washing all our skin wounds, however trivial, and then
applying antiseptic.  Source:  SCIENCE NEWS (l48:234, '95).

I circulated this warning throughout my friends and family but later noticed
that NSAIDs were being strongly promoted for pediatric use in the United
States.  Well, we're a much bigger market than is New Zealand, so if the
warning is disregarded here, pharmaceutical companies can make a lot of
profit before people find out about the possible downside of NSAIDs.

Don't worry; be happy.

Prudy