-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 5/11/99 1:53:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> What is Urantia......Ur....a valley?  Thanks.
>
>  Tell me about the story; because if Bob had a problem, I know I would
>  also.
>
>  Colleen

Hi Colleen...

Urantia means earth..I have included a description of the book below.

Kinda

The URANTIA Book -  A Description

The URANTIA Book is a unique publication of epochal significance to the
people of our planet, Urantia. It contains 2,097 pages, and is divided into
four parts. It tells about Deity, the organization and administration of
universes and the relation of the planet on which we live to the universe, of
the genesis and destiny of man and his relation to God, and of the teachings
of Jesus Christ. It speaks to man's deep spiritual yearnings and satisfies
the intellect, fully harmonizing religion, philosophy, and today's science
through the fostering of individual spiritual growth and an understanding of
the universe which are commensurate with man's intellectual and cultural
development. It opens new vistas of time and eternity, new concepts of man's
ever ascending adventure of finding God the Father. This book of 196 papers
gives a new, comprehensive, organized record of man's origin, history and
destiny.

Part I The Central and Superuniverse

These thirty one papers depict the nature of Deity, the reality of Paradise,
the organization and working of the central and superuniverses, the
personalities of the grand universe, and the high destiny of evolutionary
mortals. They were sponsored, formulated, and put into English by a
commission of twenty four spiritual administrators acting in accordance with
a mandate issued by high deity authorities (the Ancients of Days) directing
that they do this on Urantia in the year A.D. 1934.

Part II The Local Universe

A local universe is the handiwork of a Creator Son of the Paradise order of
Michael. It comprises one hundred constellations, each embracing one hundred
systems of inhabited worlds. Each system will eventually contain
approximately one thousand inhabited spheres. Our world, Urantia, belongs to
a local universe whose sovereign is Michael, the Son of God and the Son of
Man, known on this world as Jesus of Nazareth. In the central universe the
Universal Father (God) is personally present; in the universes and planets of
space our Father is being represented by his Sovereign Sons, while he is
intimately present in the minds of his mortal children through his indwelling
spirit, The Thought Adjusters. The twenty five papers comprising Part II tell
the story of man's ascension career following his initial life on the
evolutionary planet.

Part III The History of Urantia

Around 1,000,000,000 years ago Urantia had attained approximately its present
size. At this time it was placed upon the physical registries of our local
universe, Nebadon, and given its name, Urantia. (Page 660, Par. 3) The sixty
three papers comprising this section relate the history of our planet, the
geologic development, the establishment of life, and the evolution and
history of man, evolving civilizations, human institutions and governments.
Here also are discussed the Trinity concept, the evolution of religion, the
indwelling spirit of God (the Thought Adjuster), personality survival, the
bestowals of Christ Michael. "Urantia is the sentimental shrine of all
Nebadon, the chief of ten million inhabited worlds, the mortal home of Christ
Michael...And your record tells the truth when it says that this same Jesus
has promised some time to return to the world of his terminal bestowal, the
World of the Cross." (Page 1319, Par. 1)

Part IV The Life and Teachings of Jesus

These seventy seven papers give a year by year account of the life and
teachings of the Son of Man, his childhood, youth, and early travels, his
personal and public ministry, the choosing and training of the twelve
apostles, his trial, death, and resurrection. This biography of Jesus
occupies the last third of The URANTIA Book. The first three sections of the
book constitute an informing introduction, a universe backdrop, for the
enthralling drama of this human divine life of Jesus on our planet. The
presentation, therefore, of the picture of this matchless life in its cosmic
frame is rightly the climax, the fitting conclusion of the URANTIA
revelation. Jesus' life and precepts, in their original form, unencumbered by
tradition and dogma, are by far the greatest possible help that mortal man
can have in his age long climb to Paradise. "The great hope of Urantia lies
in the possibility of a new revelation of Jesus with a new and enlarged
presentation of his saving message which would spiritually unite in loving
service the numerous families of his present day professed followers." (Page
2086, Par. 2) "The time is ripe to witness the figurative resurrection of the
human Jesus from his burial tomb amidst the theological traditions and the
religious dogmas of nineteen centuries....What a transcendent service if,
through this revelation, the Son of Man should be recovered from the tomb of
traditional theology and be presented as the living Jesus to the church that
bears his name, and to all other religions!" (Page 2090, Par. 3)