-Caveat Lector-

THE BIRTH OF BELGRADE
=====================

(CNNS, 05/12/99) -- Around 600 A.D., the Mighty Chagan,  King  of
the  Magyars,  cast  his  greedy  eyes  upon Sirmium, the ancient
bulwark of the Illyrian provinces.

The plains of the Lower Hungary were covered with the Avar horse;
and a fleet of large  boats  was  built in the Hercynian wood, to
descend the Danube River, and to transport into  the  Save  River
the materials of a bridge.

But  as  the  strong  garrison of Singidunum, which commanded the
conflux of the Danube  and  Save  rivers,  might have stopped the
passage of the Mighty Chagan and his army, and therefore  baffled
his designs, he dispelled the apprehensions of the Singidunumians
by solemn oaths that he was not hostile to their empire.

He was not an enemy of Rome, swore the Mighty Chagan.

"If  I  violate my oath," swore the Mighty Chagan, "may I myself,
and the last of my nation, perish by the sword!"

"If I  violate  my  oath,"  swore  the  Mighty  Chagan,  "may the
heavens, and fire, the  deity  of  the  heavens,  fall  upon  our
heads!"

"If I violate my oath," swore the Mighty Chagan, "may the forests
and  mountains  bury  us  in  their  ruins;  may  the Save River,
returning, against the laws  of  nature, to his source, overwhelm
us in his angry waters!"

A bishop of Singidunum handed to the Mighty  Chagan  the  Gospel.
The  Chagan  received  it  with  devout  reverence.   "I  swear,"
thundered  the  Mighty Chagan, "by the God who has spoken in this
holy book,  that  I  have  neither  falsehood  on  my  tongue nor
treachery in my heart!"

Thereafter, the  Chagan  accelerated  labor  on  the  Save  River
bridge.

But  then,  the  Mighty  Chagan, after his bridge had been built,
dared to now proclaim  what  he  no  longer  had need to conceal.
"Inform Rome," said  the  perfidious  Chagan,  "that  Sirmium  is
surrounded  on  every side.  Surrender this city, which it is now
impossible to relieve or defend."

Without hope, the Sirmiums  defended  their city for three years;
the walls remained untouched,  but  famine  was  enclosed  within
those walls.  Finally, a merciful capitulation allowed the escape
of the naked and hungry inhabitants.

But  Singidunum,  fifty  miles  distant, experienced a more cruel
fate:  its buildings were  razed,  and the vanquished people were
condemned to slavery and exile.

Yet even so, it is the ruins of Sirmium which today are no longer
visible.  The advantageous position of Sirgidunum, at the conflux
of the Danube and Save rivers, soon attracted  a  new  colony  of
Sclavonians.    And   that   city   is   still   guarded  by  the
fortifications of Belgrade, a  city  so  often and so obstinately
disputed by the Christian and Moslem arms.  From Belgrade to  the
walls  of  Constantinople,  a line may be measured of six hundred
miles:  that line  has  since  been  marked  with flames and with
blood.

[Source:   *The  Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire*, by Edward
Gibbon.  Volume IV.]

--
CNNS  (Conspiracy  Nation  News  Service)  is an INDEPENDENT news
outlet, not owned by anyone.  (But  of course, we would say that,