-Caveat Lector-

At 01:04 PM 5/16/99 -0700, Eric Lash wrote:
> -Caveat Lector-
>
>I have just been informed by a company from which I ordered some Y2K items
>that their credit card processor (not the bank) has placed a 210 day hold
>on all charged funds for Y2K related products.  I have heard rumors about
>this recently, but this is the first time I have heard about it first-hand.
> This puts smaller and mail-order merchants in quite a bind.

I seem to recall reading a few weeks ago that a few banks were
with-holding the funds of some Y2K outfits on the web alleging
that these outfits were committing "fraud", and freezing their
accounts. This sounds like nervous bank pisswits to me, rather
than a conspiracy.

You didn't state what item(s) you were trying to purchase, but my
advice to you is to cancel your order, if you can, and find another
company. Also, don't overlook stores off the web like Wal-mart,
Sam's, Costco, Ace Hardware, Home Depot...even a feed and
tack store, if available in your area. I have had great success
in these stores and have been able to fulfill almost my whole
Y2K list already. None of these stores will refuse your valid
credit card, and there's no waiting period. I still see plenty
of cheap available propane tanks for heating and cooking
in these stores. I've seen 5Kw gensets, water purifiers and
non-hybrid seeds in feed and tack stores. You can get
bulk food at Costco and Sam's, long burning glass candles
at Wal-mart for under 2 bucks. Regardless of what's
happenning with some Y2K sites, don't let that be a deterrent
to you to have a backup contingency plan. If it's alternate
energy related you're after (wind generator, solar) try
http://www.jademountain.com. That's a huge site and one
not likely to be messed with by pisswit bankers.

You can also take a look at my Y2K resources page on
my site - http://www.totcon.com/users/dona and see if
there's anything that might be of help to you. I've tried to
cover all the Y2K bases with resources.

---

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson