-Caveat Lector-

Das GOAT wrote:
   "A senior member of the Liberal party objected strenuously
    that this measure, if passed, would give Dutch citizens
    too much power over their government."

    Entire Dutch Cabinet Resigns
    By ANTHONY DEUTSCH
    .c The Associated Press

    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) -- The entire Dutch Cabinet
    resigned Wednesday after the ruling coalition split over
    whether to give citizens the right to vote in referendums.

Except in the sacred texts of democracy and in the incantations of
orators, we hardly take the trouble to pretend that the rule of the
majority is not at bottom a rule of force. What other virtue can
there be in fifty-one percent except the brute fact that fifty-one
is more than forty-nine? The rule of fifty-one per cent is a
convenience, it is for certain matters a satisfactory political
device, it is for others the lesser of two evils, and for others it
is acceptable because we do not know any less troublesome method of
obtaining a political decision. But it may easily become an absurd
tyranny if we regard it worshipfully, as though it were more than a
political device. We have lost all sense of its true meaning wheen
we imagine that the opinion of fifty-one per cent is in some high
fashion the true opinion of the whole hundred per cent, or indulge
in the sophistry that the rule of a majority is based upon the ultimate
equality of man. -- Walter Lippmann