SPOTLIGHT EMAIL NEWSLETTER #21

Today's Kosovo War Dates Back to WWI

What's this Kosovo thing all about, anyway?

By F.C. Blahut

The war in Kosovo-and there's no other word for it-is far more involved than
an exercise in ethnic cleansing.

Kosovo has always been majority Albanian. It was Albanian when the Serbians
arrived.

Serbians call Kosovo "Old Serbia," and their existence as a people and
sovereignty as a nation is tied to the province.

Historically, Slavs from the Caucasian Mountains (originally) arrived in the
peninsula with a Serbian presence in Vojvodina (about the same as today's
country of Serbia) documented to the seventh century. Serbians can document
their habitation in Kosovo to the ninth century and were probably there
before then.

That doesn't negate the fact that Albanians were occupying what is today
Albania (to the southwest) and Kosovo when the Serbs arrived. But Kosovo was
rugged, sparsely populated and the indigenous people tended to move around.
The Serbs, for their part, established churches, roads, towns, and so forth,
but were never the majority.

SLAV INCURSIONS

Other major Slavic incursions into the Balkans were by the Croatians and
Slovenians. Add to these a religious sect, mostly Slavic, which came from
what is today's Bulgaria, called the Bogomils. The first two settled, for
the most part, where they are today and the Bogomils in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Now, move ahead to the 14th century and the advance of Islam. Having overrun
what is Albania proper today, the forces of the prophet advanced into Kosovo
where they were met by a Slavic Christian army composed mostly of Serbians.
The Serbians expected help from other Christians elsewhere in Europe, but
the other Christian communities adopted a "better you than us" attitude.
The upshot was that the Serbians were defeated in the crucial Battle of
Kosovo in 1389. From then to the 19th century, most of the Balkans were
controlled by the Ottoman Turks.

The Serbians were mostly restricted to Vojvodina; the Croatians and
Slovenians to where they are today; and the Bogomils converted to Islam,
hence the Islamics in Bosnia-Herzegovina today.

Moving ahead, the internal weakening of the Turkish empire, coupled with
independence movements in the peninsula and muscle-flexing by the Hapsburgs
in Austria, led to several attempts to unify what became known as the
Southern Slavs.

Yugoslavia translates loosely as "Union of Southern Slavs."
This brings us to the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913 which solved nothing, but led
to the hardening of the positions of the two major Slavic groups-the
Serbians and the Croatians.

Of the several unified entities prior to World War I, all were dominated by
Serbia, headquartered in Belgrade and run (more or less) by a Serbian king.
With the assassination of the Hapsburg Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Bosnia
came the domino effect leading to World War I.*

Following the "War to End All Wars," the victorious Allies got together at
Versailles to carve up what had been the Hapsburg and Ottoman Empires.
A leading figure was Woodrow Wilson of the United States. One of Wilson's
"Fourteen Points" was "self-determination" for all the peoples within the
conquered countries/empires.

So Yugoslavia was created, cobbling together a number of peoples who may
have looked and sounded alike to the British, Wilson and French, but who
were anything but.

The forcible union featured Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina,
Montenegro and (Slavic) Macedonia. The last is to distinguish it from the
northern area of Greece which is called the same and associated with Philip
and his son, Alexander the Great.

GREATER SERBIA

Yugoslavia was nothing more or less than Greater Serbia, controlled from
Belgrade. Kosovo had titular autonomy, which looks good on paper but doesn't
work well in practice. The Serbs continued their centuries-long attempt to
make Kosovo what they called it-Old Serbia.

And so the situation simmered until the 1930s and war came to Europe once
again. The Axis powers moved into the Balkans, the Croatians formed their
own country under German protection and the Serbians split into two
guerrilla groups, the communist Partisans and the nationalistic Chetniks.
Since the Partisans were the puppets of the USSR's Josef Stalin, and "Uncle
Joe" was Franklin D. Roosevelt's very good buddy, the United States sold out
the Chetniks and backed the Partisans.

At the end of the war, the Serbians were rewarded with another Yugoslavia,
led by-who else?-"Tito."

To backtrack just a few years, the Partisans needed a local leader to unify
their activities and to receive and transmit orders from Moscow. So a leader
was created, called, not surprisingly, Tito (translated, "leader").
Following the war, a man emerged from the caves who identified himself as
the aforesaid "Tito" and said his name was Josip Broz.

Tito ran the country as a repressive dictatorship until his death in 1980,
when a revolving leadership plan was put into effect. Again, it looked good
on paper. In reality, the country was still run by Serbia, featuring the
army and secret police, not to mention leaders of all of the major
bureaucracies.

It wasn't long before the current Serbian president, Slobodan Milosovic,
took over. He immediately brushed aside the revolving leadership, and
punished the hated Albanians in Kosovo by eliminating all vestiges of
self-rule, including the dissolution of all teaching in Albanian.

But when the Soviet Union came apart, so did Yugoslavia. First Croatia and
Slovenia declared their independence-which they were allowed to do under the
Yugoslav constitution.

Serbia sent a punitive force to Slovenia to whip them back into line and
were shocked when the Slovenians put up a struggle. With Western Europe
looking on-particularly Austria-Belgrade backed down and turned its
attention to Croatia.

With local Serbians acting as a Fifth Column, a bloody war ensued, but
Croatia won its independence. Then Macedonia followed.
At this point in time, "Yugoslavia" consists of Serbia and Montenegro-a de
facto Greater Serbia. Montenegro has no say in Milosovic's government and no
longer even gets "junior partner" lip service.

It is this Greater Serbia that NATO is bombing.
 * * * * * *
*See The Barnes Review for a detailed study of the beginning of World War I
in the Balkans and the disaster that was Versailles. Write The Barnes
Review, 130 Third St., Washington, D.C. 20003 or call 202-546-1586.

Congress, Not the President, Has Authority to Declare War; Congressmen Need
to Follow the Constitution

On March 17, a week before NATO started bombing in Kosovo, Rep. Ron Paul
(R-Tex.) reminded his colleagues of their role in declaring war. Too few
heeded his advise. An edited version of his speech follows.

By Ron Paul

Those of us who argued for congressional responsibility with regards to
declaring war and deploying troops cannot be satisfied that the trend of the
last 50 years has been reversed.

Since World War II, the war power has fallen into the hands of our
presidents, with Congress doing little to insist on its own constitutional
responsibility. From Korea and Vietnam, to Bosnia and Kosovo, we have
permitted our presidents to "wag the Congress," generating a perception that
the United States can and should police the world. Instead of authority to
move troops and fight wars coming from the people through a vote of their
congressional representatives, we now permit our presidents to cite NATO
declarations and UN resolutions.

This is even more exasperating knowing that upon joining both NATO and the
United Nations it was made explicitly clear that no loss of sovereignty
would occur and all legislative bodies of member states would retain their
legal authority to give or deny support for any proposed military action.

Today it is erroneously taken for granted that the president has authority
to move troops and fight wars without congressional approval. It would be
nice to believe that this vote on Kosovo was a serious step in the direction
of Congress [see SPOTLIGHT March 29] once again reasserting its
responsibility for committing U.S. troops abroad. But the president has
already notified Congress that, regardless of our sense of Congress
resolution, he intends to do what he thinks is right, not what is legal and
constitutional, only what he decides for himself.

Even with this watered-down endorsement of troop deployment with various
conditions listed, the day after the headlines blared "the Congress approves
troop deployments to Kosovo."

If Congress is serious about this issue, it must do more. First, Congress
cannot in this instance exert its responsibility through a House concurrent
resolution. The president can and will ignore this token effort. If Congress
decides that we should not become engaged in the civil war in Serbia, we
must deny the funds for that purpose. That we can do. Our presidents have
assumed the war power, but as of yet Congress still controls the purse.

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

Any effort on our part to enter a civil war in a country 5,000 miles away
for the purpose of guaranteeing autonomy and/or a separate state against the
avowed objections of the leaders of that country involved, that is
Yugoslavia, can and will lead to a long-term serious problem for us.

Our policy, whether it is with Iraq or Serbia, of demanding that, if certain
actions are not forthcoming, we will unleash massive bombing attacks on
them, I find reprehensible, immoral, illegal and unconstitutional. We are
seen as a world bully, and a growing anti-American hatred is the result.
This policy cannot contribute to long-term peace. Political instability will
result and innocent people will suffer. The billions we have spent bombing
Iraq, along with sanctions, have solidified Saddam Hussein's power, while
causing the suffering and deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi
children. Our policy in Kosovo will be no more fruitful.

The recent flare-up of violence in Serbia has been blamed on United States'
plan to send troops to the region. The Serbs have expressed rage at the
possibility that NATO would invade their country with the plan to reward the
questionable Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA). If ever a case could be made for
the wisdom of non-intervention, it is here. Who wants to defend all that the
KLA had done and at the same time justify a NATO invasion of a sovereign
nation for the purpose of supporting secession? "This violence is all
America's fault," one Yugoslavian was quoted as saying. And who wants to
defend Milosevic?

Every argument given for our bombing Serbia could be used to support the
establishment of Kurdistan. Actually a stronger case can be made to support
an independent Kurdistan since their country was taken from them by
outsiders. But how would Turkey feel about that? Yet the case could be made
that the mistreatment of the Kurds by Saddam Hussein and others compel us to
do something to help, since we are pretending that our role is an act as the
world's humanitarian policeman.

Humanitarianism, delivered by a powerful government through threats of
massive bombing attacks will never be a responsible way to enhance peace. It
will surely have the opposite effect.

It was hoped that the War Powers Resolution of 1973 would reign in our
president's authority to wage war without congressional approval. It has not
happened because all subsequent presidents have essentially ignored its
mandates. And unfortunately the interpretation since 1973 has been to give
the president greater power to wage war with congressional approval for at
least 60 to 90 days as long as he reports to the Congress. These reports are
rarely made and the assumption has been since 1973 that Congress need not
participate in any serious manner in the decision to send troops.

IMPERIAL PRESIDENCY

It could be argued that this resulted from a confused understanding of the
War Powers Resolution, but more likely it's the result of the growing
imperial presidency that has developed with our presidents assuming power,
not legally theirs, and Congress doing nothing about it.

Power has been gravitating into the hands of our presidents throughout this
century, both in domestic and foreign affairs. Congress has created a maze
of federal agencies, placed under the president, that have been granted
legislative, police and judicial powers, thus creating an entire
administrative judicial system outside our legal court system where
constitutional rights are ignored. Congress is responsible for this trend
and it's Congress' responsibility to restore constitutional government.

As more and more power has been granted in international affairs, presidents
have readily adapted to using Executive Orders, promises and quasi-treaties
to expand the scope and size of the presidency far above anything even the
Federalist ever dreamed of.

We are at a crossroads and if the people and the Congress do not soon insist
on the reigning in of presidential power, both foreign and domestic,
individual liberty cannot be preserved.

Presently, unless the people exert a lot more pressure on the Congress to do
so, not much will be done.

Specifically, Congress needs a strong message from the people insisting that
the Congress continues the debate over Kosovo before an irreversible
quagmire develops. The president today believes he is free to pursue any
policy he wants in the Balkans and the Persian Gulf without congressional
approval. It shouldn't be that way. It's dangerous politically, military,
morally, and above all else undermines our entire system of the rule of law.
_______________
Ron Paul represents Texas' 14th District. He is serving his sixth term in
Congress.

War Seen Part of Plutocrats' Agenda
What charter? With Western Europe safe, NATO moves into the nation-building
mode.

EXCLUSIVE TO THE SPOTLIGHT

By James P. Tucker Jr.

The U.S.-led NATO attack on a sovereign nation is part of a much bigger
Bilderberg plan than stopping Serbians from butchering ethnic Albanians,
according to a high State Department source.

"It is important to the Bilderberg scheme for world government to get NATO
out from the limitations of its own charter," said the source, a reliable
observer for more than a decade.

The treaty limits the alliance to a defensive position, providing that if
any member nation is attacked, all NATO countries would respond, he pointed
out. The treaty has no authority for an unprovoked attack on a sovereign nation.
"By bombing Kosovo, the precedent is set," he said. "Despite the terms of
the treaty, NATO now can go anywhere and attack anybody. This solidifies
NATO's role as the UN's world army."

While not officially sanctioned by the UN because Red China and Russia would
exercise Security Council vetoes and block the action, the UN bureaucrats
privately celebrate NATO's attack, he said.

"It's all so transparent, but the media covers it up and Americans don't
read enough anyway-that's why they're so damn ignorant," he said.
While ethnic Albanian blood is being spilled, the amount is exaggerated for
propaganda purposes and there's much bigger bloodbaths elsewhere if we're
looking for a fight, he said.

He also insisted that there was absolutely no risk of the civil war in
Yugoslavia spilling over borders and involving other nations, another of the
White House rationales.

President Clinton, he said, is "the most blood thirsty draft dodger in history."
Giving NATO a global role instead of only a mission to defend Western Europe
is part of both evolving a world army and conditioning the public mind to
accept surrendering national sovereignty, he said.

The source pointed to a March 28 column by Jim Hoagland of The Washington
Post, who regularly attends Trilateral and Bilderberg meetings.
"The intervention in Kosovo should revive the concept of a 'right to
intervene' and lead to changes in the United Nation's standards for
sovereignty and the existing protections those standards provide for
criminal governments," Hoagland wrote.

"NATO's decision to bypass the Security Council to avoid Russian and Chinese
vetoes based on 'sovereignty' arguments reflects poorly not on NATO but on
the Security Council as it is organized," he wrote.

"Using the Kosovo operation to override outmoded sovereignty concerns in
international relations would be one measure of political success for this
high-cost intervention," Hoagland added.

"Hoagland's column couldn't be better Bilderberg propaganda if Henry
Kissinger had dictated it," the official said.

Crop Dusting The American People

Is the government using you as a guinea pig again?

By Don Harkins

In the fall of 1997, several sources released information that the additive
ethyl dibromide was suddenly being added to JP8 jet engine fuel. This
additive was removed from gasoline in the 1960s due to its toxicity to people.

The reports said that you can tell if the toxic substance has been added to
jet fuel by the nature of the vapor trails, i.e., contrails, recorded in the
sky. Unlike ordinary contrails that dissipate in a matter of minutes, the
toxic contrails linger for hours without disappearing.

Disturbed by the news that "they" were crop dusting the American public, I
just filed this information away and kept looking at the sky.

Enroute to Pendleton, Oreg., last spring, I saw all of the day's airplane
traffic recorded in a clear blue sky-the contrails criss-crossing over the
Tri-cities and Pendleton. Several months later I was heading south on
Highway 395 and I noticed that there were cobweb-like things all over the
place. I didn't pay that much attention thinking that it was a spider hatch
of some kind.
This past fall, I was heading west toward Spokane, Wash., on Interstate 90
when at sunset I first noticed at least 15 contrails criss-crossing the sky.
Then I noticed that two small jets were methodically covering the area,
leaving behind them a pattern that was reminiscent of rumpled graph paper.

Recently I discovered that people throughout the country are suffering from
upper respiratory infections that refuse to respond to antibiotics and other
traditional therapies. Hospitals in 22 states are reportedly overflowing
with patients suffering from mysterious ailments.

After two years of noticing these things and waiting for confirmation of
this story, it appears that our worst nightmares may be coming true: The
American public is being crop dusted by "our" government.

Remember, also, that according to Title 50, Chapter 32, Section 1520 of the
U.S. Code, it is "legal" for the Department of Defense and its contractors
to experiment with chemical and biological weapons on the unsuspecting
American public. That is exactly what may be happening.

America, are you mad yet or is it okay for the federal government to spray
stuff upon us that makes us sick? If you think that conspiracy "theorists"
are crazy, what would you call a government that makes laws which legalize
the "testing" of chemical and biological weapons upon its unsuspecting
populace sane?
------------
By Don Harkins is editor of the Oregon Observer.

The Time Has Come for Decent Americans
To Fight Cultural Communism Everywhere

Charlton Heston spoke on winning the Cultural War at a Harvard Law School
Forum on Feb. 16.

By Charlton Heston

I remember my son when he was five, explaining to his kindergarten class
what his father did for a living. "My Daddy," he said, "pretends to be
people." There have been quite a few of them. Prophets from the Old and New
Testaments, a couple of Christian saints, generals of various nationalities
and different centuries, several kings, three American presidents, a French
cardinal and two geniuses, including Michelangelo.

If you want the ceiling re-painted I'll do my best. There always seem to be
a lot of different fellows up here. I'm never sure which one of them gets to
talk. Right now, I guess I'm the guy.

As I pondered our visit tonight it struck me: If my Creator gave me the gift
to connect you with the hearts and minds of those great men, then I want to
use that same gift now to re-connect you with your own sense of liberty,
your own freedom of thought, your own compass for what is right.

Dedicating the memorial at Gettysburg, Abraham Lincoln said of America, "We
are now engaged in a great Civil War, testing whether this nation or any
nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Those words are true again. I believe that we are again engaged in a great
civil war, a cultural war that's about to hijack your birthright to think
and say what resides in your heart. I fear you no longer trust the pulsing
lifeblood of liberty inside you, the stuff that made this country rise from
wilderness into the miracle that it is.

Let me back up. About a year ago I became president of the National Rifle
Association, which protects the right to keep and bear arms. I ran for
office, I was elected, and now I serve. I serve as a moving target for the
media who've called me everything from "ridiculous" and "duped" to a
"brain-injured, senile, crazy old man."

I'm pretty old, but I sure thank the Lord I ain't senile. As I have stood in
the cross hairs of those who target Second Amendment freedoms, I've realized
that firearms are not the only issue. No, it's much, much bigger than that.
I've come to understand that a cultural war is raging across our land, in
which, with Orwellian fervor, certain acceptable thoughts and speech are
mandated.

For example, I marched for civil rights with Dr. King in 1963-long before
Hollywood found it fashionable. But when I told an audience last year that
white pride is just as valid as black pride or red pride or anyone else's
pride, they called me a racist.

I've worked with brilliantly talented homosexuals all my life. But when I
told an audience that gay rights should extend no further than your rights
or my rights, I was called a homophobe.

I served in World War II against the Axis powers. But during a speech, when
I drew an analogy between singling out innocent Jews and singling out
innocent gun owners, I was called an anti-Semite.

Everyone I know knows I would never raise a closed fist against my country.
But when I asked an audience to oppose this cultural persecution, I was
compared to Timothy McVeigh.

>From Time magazine to friends and colleagues, they're essentially saying,
"Chuck, how dare you speak your mind. You are using language not authorized
for public consumption!"

But I am not afraid. If Americans believed in political correctness, we'd
still be King George's boys-subjects bound to the British crown.

In his book, The End of Sanity, Martin Gross writes that "blatantly
irrational behavior is rapidly being established as the norm in almost every
area of human endeavor. There seem to be new customs, new rules, new
anti-intellectual theories regularly foisted on us from every direction.
Underneath, the nation is roiling. Americans know something, without a name
is undermining the nation, turning the mind mushy when it comes to
separating truth from falsehood and right from wrong. And they don't like it."

Let me read a few examples. At Antioch college in Ohio, young men seeking
intimacy with a coed must get verbal permission at each step of the process
from kissing to petting to final copulation-all clearly spelled out in a
printed college directive.

In New Jersey, despite the death of several patients nationwide who had been
infected by dentists who had concealed their [being infected with] AIDS, the
state commissioner announced that health providers who are HIV-positive need
not-need not-tell their patients that they are infected.

At William and Mary, students tried to change the name of the school team
"The Tribe" because it was supposedly insulting to local Indians, only to
learn that authentic Virginia chiefs truly like the name.

In San Francisco, city fathers passed an ordinance protecting the rights of
transvestites to cross-dress on the job, and for transsexuals to have
separate toilet facilities while undergoing sex change surgery.

In New York City, kids who don't speak a word of Spanish have been placed in
bilingual classes to learn their three r's in Spanish solely because their
last names sound Hispanic.

At the University of Pennsylvania, in a state where thousands died at
Gettysburg opposing slavery, the president of that college officially set up
segregated dormitory space for black students.

That's out of bounds now. Dr. King said "Negroes." Jimmy Baldwin and most of
us on the March said "black." But it's a no-no now.

For me, hyphenated identities are awkward-particularly "Native-American."
I'm a Native American, for God's sake. I also happen to be a blood-initiated
brother of the Miniconjou Sioux. On my wife's side, my grandson is a
thirteenth generation Native American-with a capital letter on "American."

Finally, just last month, David Howard, head of the Washington D.C. Office
of Public Advocate, used the word "niggardly" while talking to colleagues
about budgetary matters. Of course, "niggardly" means stingy or scanty. But
within days Howard was forced to publicly apologize and resign.

As columnist Tony Snow wrote: "David Howard got fired because some people in
public employ were morons who (a) didn't know the meaning of niggardly," (b)
didn't know how to use a dictionary to discover the meaning, and (c)
actually demanded that he apologize for their ignorance."

What does all of this mean? It means that telling us what to think has
evolved into telling us what to say, so telling us what to do can't be far
behind. Before you claim to be a champion of free thought, tell me: Why did
political correctness originate on America's campuses? And why do you
continue to tolerate it? Why do you, who're supposed to debate ideas,
surrender to their suppression?
Let's be honest. Who here thinks your professors can say what they really
believe? It scares me to death, and should scare you too, that the
superstition of political correctness rules the halls of reason.

You are the best and the brightest. You, here in the fertile cradle of
American academia, here in the castle of learning on the Charles River, you
are the cream. But I submit that you, and your counterparts across the land,
are the most socially conformed and politically silenced generation since
Concord Bridge.

And as long as you validate that, and abide it, you are-by your
grandfathers' standards-cowards. Here's another example. Right now at more
than one major university, Second Amendment scholars and researchers are
being told to shut up about their findings or they'll lose their jobs. Why?
Because their research findings would undermine big-city mayor's pending
lawsuits that seek to extort hundreds of millions of dollars from firearm
manufacturers.

I don't care what you think about guns. But if you are not shocked at that,
I am shocked at you. Who will guard the raw material of unfettered ideas, if
not you? Who will defend the core value of academia, if you supposed
soldiers of free thought and expression lay down your arms and plead, "Don't
shoot me."

If you talk about race, it does not make you a racist. If you see
distinctions between the genders, it does not make you a sexist. If you
think critically about a denomination, it does not make you anti-religion.
If you accept but don't celebrate homosexuality, it does not make you a
homophobe.

Don't let America's universities continue to serve as incubators for this
rampant epidemic of new McCarthyism. But what can you do? How can anyone
prevail against such pervasive social subjugation?

The answer's been here all along. I learned it 36 years ago, on the steps of
the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C., standing with Dr. Martin Luther
King and 20,000 people.

You simply, disobey. Peaceably, yes. Respectfully, of course. Nonviolently,
absolutely. But when told how to think or what to say or how to behave, we
don't. We disobey social protocol that stifles and stigmatizes personal freedom.
I learned the awesome power of disobedience from Dr. King, who learned it
from Gandhi, and Thoreau, and Jesus, and every other great man who led those
in the right against those with the might.

Disobedience is in our DNA. We feel innate kinship with that disobedient
spirit that tossed tea into Boston Harbor, that sent Thoreau to jail, that
refused to sit in the back of the bus, that protested a war in Viet Nam.
In that same spirit, I am asking you to disavow cultural correctness with
massive disobedience of rogue authority, social directives and onerous law
that weaken personal freedom.

But be careful, it hurts. Disobedience demands that you put yourself at
risk. Dr. King stood on lots of balconies. You must be willing to be
humiliated, to endure the modern-day equivalent of the police dogs at
Montgomery and the water Cannons at Selma. You must be willing to experience
discomfort. I'm not complaining, but my own decades of social activism have
taken their toll on me. Let me tell you a story.

A few years back I heard about a rapper named Ice-T who was selling a CD
called "Cop Killer" celebrating ambushing and murdering police officers. It
was being marketed by none other than Time/Warner, the biggest entertainment
conglomerate in the world. Police across the country were outraged.
Rightfully so-at least one had been murdered. But Time/Warner was
stonewalling because the CD was a cash cow for them, and the media were
tiptoeing around it because the rapper was black. I heard Time/Warner had a
stockholders meeting scheduled in Beverly Hills. I owned some shares at the
time, so I decided to attend.

What I did there was against the advice of my family and colleagues. I asked
for the floor. To a hushed room of a thousand average American stockholders,
I simply read the full lyrics of "Cop Killer"-every vicious, vulgar,
instructional word.

I got my 12 gauge sawed off. I got my headlights turned off. I'm about to
bust some shots off. I'm about to dust some cops offs.

It got worse, a lot worse. I won't read the rest of it to you. But trust me,
the room was a sea of shocked, frozen, blanched faces. The Time/Warner
executives squirmed in their chairs and stared at their shoes. They hated me
for that. Then I delivered another volley of sick lyric brimming with racist
filth, where Ice-T fantasizes about sodomizing two 12-year old nieces Of Al
and Tipper Gore.
She pushed her butt against my . . . S

Well, I won't do to you here what I did to them. Let's just say I left the
room in echoing silence. When I read the lyrics to the waiting press corps,
one of them said "We can't print that." "I know," I replied, "but
Time/Warner EDs selling it."

Two months later, Time/Warner terminated Ice-T's contract. I'll never be
offered another film by Warners, or get a good review from Time magazine.
But disobedience means you must be willing to act, not just talk.

When a mugger sues his elderly victim for defending herself, jam the
switchboard of the district attorney's office. When your university is
pressured to lower standards until 80 percent of the students graduate with
honors, choke the halls of the board of regents. When an 8-year-old boy
pecks a girl's cheek on the playground and gets hauled into court for sexual
harassment, march on that school and block its doorways. When someone you
elected is seduced by political power and betrays you, petition them, oust
them, banish them. When Time magazine's cover portrays millennium nuts as
deranged, crazy Christians holding a cross as it did last month, boycott
their magazine and the products it advertises.

So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed
footsteps of the great disobediences of history that freed exiles, founded
religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of an aroused rabble in
arms and a few great men, by God's grace, built this country.
_____________________
Charlton Heston is president of the National Rifle Association.

Encryption Ensuring The World's Secrets

"The ability to protect a secret, to preserve one's privacy, is a form of
power . . . The ability to learn a person's secrets without his or her
knowledge-to pierce a person's privacy in secret-is a greater power still,"
says A. Michael Froomkin in his history of encryption, entitled: The
Metaphor Is The Key: Cryptography, The Clipper Chip And The Constitution.

According to civil libertarians and privacy experts, this statement
illustrates the controversy surrounding the issue of encryption-a procedure
that can convert any form of communication into a disguised and unreadable
message that only the intended receiver can decipher.

Government agencies want to be able to access all forms of communication,
whether it be the average American calling someone on a cell phone or a
criminal transferring information on laundered drug money accounts. Big
Brother wants to be able to read the world's secrets.

But privacy advocates, who do not want to grant that access to the
government, or anyone else for that matter, see encryption for what it
symbolizes: A battle between "the individual's power to keep a secret from
the state and others, and the state's power to penetrate that secret," as
Froomkin says.

The SPOTLIGHT reported on April 5, in the Internet Column on H.R. 850, The
Safe and Freedom through Encryption (SAFE) Act, currently pending in
Congress. It would free up restrictions on the export of encryption,
allowing anyone in the world access to the most advanced
communications-security technology available.
But law enforcement officials, including FBI Director Louis Freeh, Attorney
General Janet Reno and the National Security Agency are fighting to maintain
current restrictions on encryption technology.

They say that the government needs access to communications to protect
against criminals, such as terrorists and money launders, who might take
advantage of secure communications for illicit purposes.

They don't want to give up their power easily.

20-YEAR-OLD ARGUMENT

The U.S. Data Encryption Standard (DES)-the standard used today-was decided
upon in 1977 by the National Bureau of Standards (NBS)-now called the
National Institute of Standards and Technology. NBS used a mathematical
process created by IBM to encrypt and decrypt messages, called an algorithm,
to set the standard.

DES is what is referred to as "a single-key cipher," meaning that the sender
and the receiver use the same key to encode and decipher the message. DES
keys are 56 bits long, and, at the time, were near impossible for anyone but
the two who had the correct keys, to decipher.

According to cryptologists-experts on codes and ciphers-were someone to try
to decipher the message at random, he would have to try 72 quadrillion
different possible keys before finding the correct one.

Cryptography experts say that at the time of the decision, there was much
controversy over the standard. Critics of DES feared that designers had
built a so-called "back door" into the technology to allow government
surveillance.
Nevertheless, the current standard that the government is content to allow
out in circulation is not secure, as evidenced by recent successes in
deciphering 56-bit encryption in less than 24 hours, and people know it.

WHO NEEDS ENCRYPTION

In the United States, any computer user can use any encryption software
domestically that they want, though many say that the government discourages
software designers and industry from incorporating advanced encryption
technology in their programs.

Much communication today, however, is international and, experts say, U.S.
laws are pitifully outdated, prohibiting the use of secure encryption
technology.
Still, privacy experts argue that there are many convincing reasons for
allowing unfettered and indecipherable communications.

Banks commonly use encrypted data transfers to ensure the security of
account holders. Encryption is used by financial institutions to protect
everything from ID numbers and pass codes at automatic teller machines
(ATMs) to information on multi-million dollar personal and business accounts.

Industry commonly uses encoded messages to avoid industrial espionage,
ensuring the security of intellectual property. And cell phone companies use
technology to insure some amount of privacy when calling.

Just about every form of communication today, whether by telephone, fax or
e-mail could benefit from encryption, making it that much more safe to send
confidential information without the worry that someone else out who might
be listening in on you.

Fraud Sends Billions in Tax-free 'Contributions' to Israel

Israeli fundraisers are more open than ever, and the IRS doesn't do a thing
about it.

EXCLUSIVE TO THE SPOTLIGHT

By Warren Hough

At least a billion dollars is fraudulently diverted from U.S. tax revenues
each year and smuggled to Israel under the guise of "charitable contributions."
Raising tax-deductible donations from Americans in the name of "charitable"
organizations that are, in reality, false fronts for Israeli political
parties and militant Zionist movements, is illegal. But it has been "going
on for years," confirmed Sheldon Cohen, a former U.S. Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) commissioner.

It has become common practice, a SPOTLIGHT investigation has found.
When former Israeli Defense Minister Yitzhak Mordechai, a leading candidate
in the ministate's upcoming national elections, made a fundraising tour of
U.S. cities last month, his aides openly solicited "tax-deductible" campaign
contributions from wealthy American Zionists such as S. Daniel Abraham, the
diet-drink magnate, this populist newspaper has learned.

Potential U.S. contributors were told that they could help finance the
Israeli general's run for prime minister by giving the money to a
"charitable trust" set up in New York to convert tax-deductible American
donations into Israeli political funds.

The "charitable trust" known as the "American Friends of Amuta for Renewal
and Democracy" was, in reality, a camouflaged conduit to help finance the
campaign of Mordechai's newly established Israeli political party, explained
Shelly Sitton, one of Mordechai's aides.

When asked by reporter for the Israeli daily newspaper Ha'aretz whether to
collect money under such false pretenses was not a dubious practice, Ms.
Sitton reportedly answered: "Maybe, but the other [Israeli] parties have
been doing it for decades."

A SPOTLIGHT investigation has found that at least three "charitable
organizations" incorporated in the United States, known as the "Education
Fund for Israel," the "Israel Development Fund" and "Youth Towns for
Israel," had been set up by Steven L. Friedman, a registered foreign agent
for Israel's hard-line Likud party.

The registration form filled out for the U.S. Justice Department states that
Friedman's work as a foreign agent in America would involve "soliciting
funds and coordinating fund-raising activities for the Likud Party of Israel
in the U.S."

Reporters for Ha'aretz found that Friedman's Israel Development Fund had
funneled tax-deductible cash gifts from American donors to the Likud Party.
In a half-hearted attempt to disguise the connection between the ostensible
U.S. "charity" contributions and the real beneficiary-the Likud, an alien
political party-Friedman spelled the name of the recipient as "Lichud,"
Ha'aretz reported.
In l997, an Associated Press report estimated the total volume of such
"charitable" donations made each year by wealthy American supporters of
Israel at between $900 million and $1 billion.

Since then, the volume of this illegal cash flow has "greatly increased,"
perhaps even doubled, owing to the intensive fund-raising activities of
alien agents, New York financial sources say.

One question raised by these devious money-laundering operations run by
Israel's leaders is why the IRS has never attempted to crack down on them.

Zionists Have Mastered Avoiding Taxes

Israeli fundraisers are allowed to usurp U.S. law and attack American values.

EXCLUSIVE TO THE SPOTLIGHT

By Warren Hough

There are hundreds of worthy causes in America and around the world that
have earned no tax exemption for their contributors from the Internal
Revenue Service (IRS).

But if you want to give money to Israel, there are dozens of devious ways
you can make your contribution tax deductible-even terrorist funds.

If you should happen to want to finance a movement for the suppression of
Christianity, you can do so tax-free, provided you funnel your donation
through Rabbi Shalom Lifshitz or Rabbi Eliezer Sandler. Their mission is to
keep Christian clergymen out of the Middle East.

Rabbis Lifshitz and Sandler head Yad L'Achim, an organization devoted to
opposing the "outreach" of Christianity to Israel and any other enclave of
Judaism around the world.

America is a key target of Yad L'Achim's anti-Christian campaign. When it
comes to confronting Christianity, "The U.S. is the belly of the beast . . .
the heart, the nerve center of Christian evangelizing efforts. We must
combat the efforts of American evangelical leaders and organizations to
spread the gospel of Christianity," Sandler declared in New York City last
month.

Even movements condemned by the U.S. government as "illegal" and "contrary
to America's national interests" qualify for tax-exempt contributions if
they happen to be located in Israel, The SPOTLIGHT's survey found.

American Friends of Ateret Cohanim and the One Israel Fund are recognized in
the United States as a tax-deductible charities although they solicit
contributions in the millions of dollars for the hard-line Israeli settler
movement, denounced by successive U.S. administrations as an "obstacle to
peace" in the Middle East.
There is, believe it or not, a registered tax-exempt "charity" raising money
in the U.S. for American Friends of Yeshivat Harav Meir, a violent group
organized by fanatical followers of the late Rabbi Meir Kahane, privately
denounced as a "gang of terrorists" even by Israeli government officials.

The resources illegally siphoned off from the US revenue budget for such
malodorous alien schemes represent a huge added burden on American
taxpayers. Congress would be well advised to take a closer look at these
thinly veiled abuses-and find a way to curb them.

Lost Stealth Technology Serious

One lost plane has given potential enemies a wealth of information about
U.S. fighters.

EXCLUSIVE TO THE SPOTLIGHT

By Mike Blair

Experts have told The SPOTLIGHT that U.S. technology has been compromised as
a result of the downing of a U.S. Air Force F-117A stealth fighter-bomber
over Yugoslavia on March 27.

A retired Air Force major, who specialized in intelligence matters, said, "I
have no doubt that an expert technical team was immediately dispatched from
Russia to professionally collect the debris right after the crash."

The Russians "are very good at this sort of thing, in this case picking up
our stealth secrets from the wreckage," said Sam Cohen, a retired nuclear
scientist.
During the Vietnam War, the retired major said, the Russians scavenged for
downed wrecks of U.S. aircraft to obtain details of their technology,
particularly electronics. Cohen said that relying upon stealth technology
for the nation's military capability is a mistake, in any case.

Cohen said that when a country obtains neutron warheads, of which he
believes Russia, Israel and Red China have current stockpiles, then stealth
technology is not all that effective.

The inventor of the neutron bomb, Cohen explained that with the retrieval of
the debris of the F-117A, it is important to realize that it is not the
ability to duplicate the aircraft that is vital but the ability to defeat it
or counter it.
Radars can be developed, Cohen said, that can at least obtain some type of
warning of the approaching stealth aircraft, if not a pinpoint location.
Then a missile carries a neutron warhead aloft and detonates it, the retired
scientist explained. If the aircraft is anywhere within a one-mile radius of
the neutron blast, all of the crew are immediately irradiated and killed.

"There is nothing that is so good that it cannot be countered," Cohen said.
The retired Air Force officer said that the downing of the stealth fighter
in Yugoslavia illustrates a weakness of the aircraft.

"While true that the plane is virtually immune from radar detection, if it
can be seen from the ground, it can be shot down," he said.

Many suspect that a Soviet-made SA-3 Goa surface-to-air missile brought down
the stealth fighter. It is one of the older Soviet anti-aircraft weapons and
was used without particular success by Iraq in its clashes with Western
aircraft.
The problem for U.S. airmen in the war in Kosovo now is that U.S. aircraft
must soon fly low in a ground-attack role, attacking troop formations, tanks
and other mobile vehicles that cannot be hit from the security of high
altitudes.

Capitalism Drives America's Foreign Interests

When you think about terrorism, you should remember that there was once a
time when Americans freely traveled the world and met nothing but admiration
and perhaps a bit of envy.

It is useful to ponder what changed between the time America was admired and
the time today when America is often hated.

America was admired when it followed the advice of George Washington and, in
its foreign relations, offered friendship and commerce to all, with no
favoritism and entangling alliances with none. America was admired when it
was a republic, not an empire, and when it spoke in favor of people trying
to throw off imperial governments.

The change occurred following the War Between the States. America became an
empire, and its first imperial war was the Spanish-American War, which,
stripped of all the baloney, was a deliberate attack against Spain's foreign
holdings for the purpose of acquiring an empire of our own. And we did. We
took Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

Instead of defending people's desire for liberty and independence, we
crushed it. Soon afterward, we annexed the Hawaiian Islands. We fomented a
rebellion against Colombia, created Panama and then took a 10-mile-wide
slice of that country and built the Panama Canal.

A Marine Corps general, Smedley Butler, captured the era when he said of his
33 years in the Corps he spent "most of my time being a high-class muscle
man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a
racketeer for capitalism. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international
banking house of Brown Brothers . . . I helped make Mexico safe for American
oil interests.
I brought light to Dominican Republic for American sugar interests . . . I
helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to
collect revenue in . . . In China in 1927. I helped see to it that Standard
Oil went its way unmolested."

And so forth. Today, we are still using our military and the CIA as
racketeers for capitalism. There is no legitimate national security purpose
in our being in all the places we are.

All of this imperial business stems from the London-New York financial axis
that developed about the time America was suckered into the first of
Europe's civil wars. It's in the history books if you care to dig it out.

But the relevant point, which politicians never mention, is that U.S. policy
creates terrorism, and the solution to the problem of terrorism is to change
the policy. We shouldn't be meddling and bullying people in the Balkans and
in the Middle East. We shouldn't be propping up dictators who cut deals with
U.S. businessmen and trying to overthrow those who won't.

It's funny, in fact, to hear the politicians and the terrorism bureaucrats
talk. You'd think terrorists parachuted down from Mars and have no earthly
reason to be terrorists. Of course, the last thing in the world politicians
want Americans to realize is that it is the U.S. policies that are creating
the terrorists.
What does Osama bin Laden, the government's terrorist de jour, want? He
wants the United States out of Saudi Arabia, and he wants the United States
to quit supporting Israel's repression of Palestinians. I don't have a
problem with that. There's no legitimate reason for us to interfere in the
internal affairs of the countries of the Middle East. Our one legitimate
interest is buying oil, and no matter who's in charge of the countries,
they'll sell it to us. Which companies they do business with, and the terms,
are not a legitimate national interest.

We are played for suckers by the people who own our politicians.

©1999 by King Features Syndicates

Subscribe to THE SPOTLIGHT!

Only $59.00 for 1 year or $99.00 for 2 years. Every week, get the important
stories
that the popular media either miss... or ignore. For around $1.00 per issue,
THE SPOTLIGHT is a steal! Don't wait any longer. Make sure that you never
miss another issue. Subscribe now!

You can also mail your subscription to THE SPOTLIGHT, 300 Independence Ave.
S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003. OR CALL 1-800-522-6292