-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 5/25/99 6:52:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> The genocidal wars waged against Native Americans by numerous US gov'ts
>  weren't 'declared' by Congress, are thus ALL unconstitutional; thus all
>  lands stolen from Native Americans should be returned forthwith, eh?
>
>  The alternative, that we accept the validity of what's been done, means
>  that we must accept the validity of ALL undeclared wars - ya can't have
>  it both ways.  Be consistent - if current actions are wrong and should
>  be redressed, past actions were also wrong and should be corrected.
>
>  > ----------

 I disagree with your assessment.  Just because one thing is condoned does
not mean it should continue to be condoned.  I believe that all lands stolen
from the Native Americans really does belong to them, but the feasibility of
returning them is simply ridiculous.  Just because something was condoned in
the past in this regard does not mena that steps should not be taken to
rectify the situation.  Bad laws are changed all the time when it is realized
that they cause more harm than good (or vice versa if you are a despotic
government bent on the subjugation of your populace).  Some time, something
needs to be done, there comes a point when it should be condoned no more.
Teo1000