-Caveat Lector-

Worldwide Charity Executives Probed

By KARIN MILLER
.c The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Allegations that executives of the worldwide charity
Feed the Children took home boxes of donated food, clothing and household
goods are being investigated by state authorities.

After a four-month investigation, WTVF-TV broadcast video of charity
executives, their assistants and their relatives using dollies to wheel boxes
-- several at a time -- from a warehouse to their cars.

After being tipped by the station, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agents
on Monday raided a Nashville office of the charity and the homes of six
administrative employees.

The agents carried out boxes and bags of brand-name clothing -- some with
tags still on -- shoes, videos, blankets and food they suspect were donated
for the needy. One box had ``Merry Christmas to me'' written on it.

Feed the Children's executive director, Steve Highfill, was one of the
employees shown on the video. He told WTVF he saw nothing wrong with allowing
administrative staff to take donated items.

``If they're taking stuff home and giving their little brother a pair of
shoes or some food, I don't have much to say about that,'' he said. ``If
that's wrong, fine. I don't think so and I don't think people are going to
think so.''

Feed The Children, founded in 1979, opened its Nashville warehouse in October
1996. The group said it is also checking into the reports.

``Feed The Children is shocked and saddened at this information. The video
surveillance weighs heavy on my heart,'' said Larry Jones, president and
founder of Feed the Children. He said that charity policy clearly prohibits
employees from taking donated items.

WTVF's investigation began after workers at the warehouse told the station
that administrative employees were using the warehouse as a personal shopping
mall.