-Caveat Lector-

An inciteful post, <nurev>, too bad you can't see as clearly the truth
about everything, guns and government especially.

I would add that Nazism itself was a religion of sorts, one of those
"cults that kill" we hear so much about. Its priesthood,  the SS, was
created in open imitation of the Jesuits, from its structure right down to
the color of its uniforms.

The most significant role of religion in the Nazi movement, however, was
Hitler's clever rewording of the soldiers oath of loyalty to include his
name. Germans have taken very seriously the binding power of the spoken
word since before they migrated to Germany. Oaths are a really big deal to
them. By changing the Oath Hitler bound the armed forces to himself
personally. At one general staff meeting (the story goes) the planning for
Aktion Barbarosa  was being finalized. Guderion pointed out that between
the three months they had been forced behind schedule by the Yugoslav
partisans and the three weeks squandered in Czechoslovakia avenging
Heidrich's assassination, it was now too late in the year to subdue Russia
before the bad weather set in. Hitler fixed him with his best Darth Vader
stare and said, "Leave the weather to me." Guderian complied. Predictable,
his panzers ground to a halt before the very gates of Moscow as their oil
froze and their driver's fingers grew frostbite.

Now this was no superstitious peasant we're talking about here. This was
"Swift Heinz" Guderian, one of the best generals history has ever
produced. He had a mind like a steel trap. He could have built a tank with
his own hands had the occasion arose. He knew ever bolt and washer. He was
nobody's fool. He was not, as so many tellers of the story imply, awed by
(or even convinced of) Hitler's supposed occult powers. He was bound by
his oath.

The rest is history.