-Caveat Lector-

I am perplexed that so many educated people  are so reluctant to
subscribe to any sort of religious explanation of the origin of life. Rather
they blandly assume that life began through a random series of
coincidences. The contemplation of the abstruse complexities of the human organism
lends itself poorly to the theory that, at a primordial instant in time, a
congenial cluster of amino acids and other organic chemicals
concatenated into a living and self-replicating creature, which by chance
eventuated into a complex and intelligent life form. I marvel at such faith!
Surely, as an unbiased observer, a scientist may begin to suspect the presence of
a supreme and existential Intelligence behind it all, especially after attempting
to unravel the labyrinthine interstices of the human genome.

On the other hand, while it does seem absurd to imagine that a god created the
universe in seven earth days, could it not have been a Master Celestial Biologist
who did the job over billions of years, through the calculated overcontrol of
evolution?  Science may one day assemble all of the chemical ingredients of
protoplasm, but they shall never find a way to breathe the spark of life into dead
organic matter. That, my friends, is the domain of the Gods!

Is it not more reasonable to entertain the probability that evolution was
overcontrolled by the “gods” to produce sudden mutations via genetic engineering?
This would better explain the sudden appearance of new species in the fossil
record. One here might postulate that extraterrestrials took a hand in creation.
But they would not have the means or the vast knowledge of unfamiliar DNA
aggregations to breath the breath of life into an entirely  new organism without
making bad mistakes, which would be shown in the fossil record. To me, it is more
reasonable to believe in the divine overcontrolling hand in evolution. Only the
original Creator would possess the foreknowledge and the exquisite understanding
of process to enable the creation of new species.

Byron T. Weeks, MD