-Caveat Lector-

Last post (from me) on this issue)

>From Nat'l Review

> The End Of Courage
>
> The strange death of an old virtue.

> -- ROGER SCRUTON
>
> Mr. Scruton is a writer and philosopher in England and the author of
> An Intelligent Person's Guide to Philosophy.
> --
>

> ONE of the lessons to be drawn from the conflict in Kosovo is that,
> while our governments are ready to use military force, they are
> reluctant to take the risk of fighting. The strategy adopted is
> essentially one of window dressing. "Look how strong we are!" NATO
> declares; "we can destroy factories, bridges -- whole towns, if we
> desire!" The Serbs know that the cost of rebuilding those factories,
> bridges, and towns will be borne, in the end, by the states that are
> currently destroying them. What matters, to them, is the war on the
> ground, in which men face each other and fight -- as the Kosovo
> Liberation Army would fight, if we had the sense to arm it. Killing,
> intimidating, and driving into exile are the real business of war: and
> on this level, everything has proceeded, from the Serb point of view,
> as smoothly as could ever be expected.
>
> <Picture>What explains the reluctance of NATO to fight? Some speak of
> the enormous monetary cost of mobilizing troops on the ground. But it
> is a cost that Europe and America, controllers of the world's wealth,
> could easily meet. Besides, it would be far less than the cost of
> repairing the damage caused by continual bombing and of housing the
> Kosovan refugees. Others refer to the inevitable casualties, and the
> reluctance of Western democracies to accept them. But this is a
> doubtful argument. In Britain, at least, public opinion is behind the
> use of force, and eager for a speedy and definitive end to the
> conflict. Our airmen are already expressing their frustration at rules
> of engagement that prevent them from making use of their low-flying
> skills, and from taking the risk of direct air-to-ground combat.
>
> <Picture>The history of modern warfare tells us that, in the end, the
> swiftest resolution to a conflict, and the one most economical in both
> military and civilian casualties, is the decisive victory on the
> ground -- the breakthrough that leads to the capture of disputed
> territory. That victory could be achieved tomorrow, to the immense
> relief not only of the Kosovan Albanians but of the nations that have
> been half-reluctantly persuaded to defend them. In some peculiar,
> metaphysical way, however, the hands of our governments are tied. It
> is as though all options were open, provided nothing were at risk
> besides machines. The crucial factor on which victory has always
> depended -- the willingness to risk life and limb -- has been removed
> from the equation.
>
> <Picture>In effect, the war in Serbia is an exercise in sanitized
> aggression -- force without the risk of force, violence without tears,
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.