-Caveat Lector-

Wednesday June 9 8:01 AM ET
Wanted British Spy Out In The Cold Again

By Elif Kaban
GENEVA (Reuters) - Former spy Richard Tomlinson, wanted in London for
allegedly divulging a list of British intelligence officers on the Internet,
has fled Switzerland and is now on the run and out in the cold in Europe.
Speaking to Reuters on a mobile phone, Tomlinson said he left Switzerland
Tuesday after Swiss authorities Monday gave him 24 hours to leave the
country, alleging he had violated a civil order not to publish the list.
``I didn't even have time to say goodbye to my friends,'' he said.
Asked how it felt to be a runaway renegade spy, Tomlinson said: ``It's not
nice. I just want to find a place to live.''
The disgruntled former member of the British intelligence service, who
denies responsibility for posting the list, said he took the train from
Geneva to Zurich Tuesday and left Switzerland for an undisclosed destination
in Europe.
``If they find out where I am now, they'd chuck me out,'' he said, refusing
to disclose his whereabouts.
A spokesman at the Swiss federal prosecutor's office confirmed that
Tomlinson had left Switzerland. He said Tomlinson faced a five-year entry
ban.
But Dominique Reymond said Tomlinson could come back if a Geneva court
investigating the charges cleared him.
Tomlinson said he hoped to return to Geneva: ``I want to go back to Geneva.
I can come back after I prove my innocence.''
Tomlinson was sacked in 1995 from the British Secret Intelligence Service --
the foreign intelligence arm known as MI6. He was jailed in Britain in late
1997 after he showed the synopsis of a book on his career to an Australian
publisher.
He says the British authorities were persecuting him.
Tomlinson said he could not go to the United States, France and Australia
because of pressure from the British government.
``All countries I've been to, I've been banned from.''
He said he would not go back to Britain. ``I'd be sent to prison straight
away while they get a case together.''
Going to a ``hostile'' country or Russia or Serbia was a possibility, he
said.
``I have considered going to a hostile country, but not to cause any
problems. I really don't have anything to say anymore. I've been out of the
MI6 for five years now.''
Tomlinson's credibility has been at a low ebb following a series of
increasingly bizarre revelations about his former employers at the MI6 in
interviews with the spy-obsessed media.
His claims include an alleged plot to kill Yugoslav President Slobodan
Milosevic in a road tunnel near Geneva in 1992 and his testimony to a French
magistrate that the driver of the car in which Diana, Princess of Wales,
died in 1997 was an MI6 agent.
British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook has said that Tomlinson was behind the
publication of the names, which he has described as ``a deeply irresponsible
and dangerous act.''
British officials have said the list was not accurate, but the publication
of secret agents' names could put the lives and careers of undercover agents
in sensitive postings at risk.
The list was removed and the Internet site shut down after urgent pleas by
British officials.
But soon after it was purged, the list was on the loose again on the
Internet, where many copies were flying through cyberspace and showing up on
other Web sites.

--
Justice does exist in the world, whether people choose to practice it or
not. The men of ability are being avenged. The avenger is reality. Its