-Caveat Lector-

<<So:  a need for a placid Balkans is shared by others; AND, the need
for a docile Kurdish people likewise demostrated -- again ...>>

>From Newsmax.CoM

> The Caspian Connection: Pipeline
> Politics and the Balkan War
> Carl Limbacher and Caron GrichJune 9, 1999
>
> What has America accomplished in the Balkans after 70-plus days of
> NATO bombardment?
>
> Cease fire negotiations sputter along on a wing and a prayer. And if
> they are successful, America will be rewarded with the privilege of
> contributing 7,000 troops to a force of 50,000 Kosovo "peacekeepers".
> Tour of duty: indefinite.
>
> Though Bill Clinton's Balkan adventure did much to keep the press
> distracted from matters like Chinese nuclear espionage and
> inconvenient rape charges (reporters last hit Clinton with a question
> about Juanita Broaddrick just five days before he ordered airstrikes
> on Serbia), it's debatable whether Kosovar refugees will be better off
> for all the effort.
>
> Slobodan Milosevic, recently dubbed an official war criminal, will
> retain power over Serbia. And NATO may even have to accommodate a
> Russian presence in Kosovo, which will only further discourage
> displaced ethnic Albanians from returning home.
>
> Not much of a victory. Not much, that is, until one considers another
> factor that may have propelled NATO into the Balkans; an incentive
> which has nothing to do with humanitarian relief or scandal spin.
>
> NATO's Eyes on the Prize
>
> If President Clinton were to level with the American people, he might
> just explain NATO's first hot war by using a variation of his old
> campaign theme: "It's the global economy, stupid." Because NATO's
> entry into the Balkans, though thus far an abject failure in terms of
> the mission's ostensible goals, places the West, and especially
> Western Europe, on the doorstep of resources so vast that the move
> could mean decades worth of economic well-being for member nations.
>
> Ponder this nearly two year-old observation from the New York Times,
> reported when a U.S. security force in the Balkans was only a twinkle
> in Madeleine Albright's eye:
>
> "Forget mutual funds, commodity futures and corporate mergers. Forget
> South African Diamonds, European currencies and Thai stocks. The most
> concentrated mass of untapped wealth known to exist anywhere is in the
> oil and gas fields beneath the Caspian (Sea) and lands around it....
> The strategic implications of this bonanza hypnotize Western security
> planners as completely as the finances transfix oil executives." (New
> York Times -- September 21, 1997)
>
> Or this, from a conservative think tank the year before:
>
> "The vast expanses of the former Soviet Union harbor oil and gas
> riches which will be crucial to funding the global economy in the next
> century. The huge oil reserves, estimated at over 25 billion barrels
> under the Caspian Sea and in the central Asian republics of
> Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are similar to those in Kuwait
> and larger than those in Alaska's Northern Slope and the North Sea
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.