-Caveat Lector-

THURSDAY
JUNE 10
1999
----
 Tick, tick, tick

----

One simple word, repeated three times. You knew before reading the first
word of this column that it would somehow touch upon time.
Who among us does not remember the quiet, persistent sound of that clock in
our childhood bedrooms, ticking softly away, as our household went to sleep
around us? The 11:55 freight train, the sound from its horn streaming on
ahead of it, parting the night: three ticks of sound, two ticks of silence
and then over again, the train on its way into the distance.

Or the city, reluctantly and restlessly tossing and turning before settling
into fitful slumber late into the morning. The windows open on a warm night,
neighbors in the adjacent apartment snoring, or pacing the floor, a crying
infant being comforted.

My dictionary has a column of definitions for "time." They run the gamut
from philosophical, "a nonspatial continuum in which events occur in
apparently irreversible succession," to the mundane: "by paying in
installments." But I wonder -- is not more of the truth of life wrapped up
in the latter?

Our lives are lived in installments; we call them days, hours, minutes and
seconds. Tick, tick, tick. ... The 86,400 single-second "ticks" that
comprised yesterday were merely an installment payment we made on that box
of dreams we longingly refer to as "our future." There it sits on the shelf,
behind the counter at the Shoporama. Sometimes we see it, wrapped in its
glittering packaging, as we hand the clerk the next installment of our
lives, and he writes out our receipt. Our retirement, the day the children
graduate and leave home, that cruise we've been meaning to take. ... Soon we
will be able to pick it up and handle it, enjoy it, show it off proudly to
our friends. The young clerk smiles and remarks, "Only twelve more
installments until your retirement is all paid for. Thank you for spending
your life at Shoporama!"

It is said that modern men and women value time above all else. America has
become a service economy: people doing things that other people don't want
to do, don't know how to do, or don't have time to do -- but will pay to
have done. Dinner prepared at the burger palace and eaten in the car on the
way home; daycare for lonely children while both parents pursue their
careers as taxpayers; 18-year-old lovers and "it's my right abortions" for
our 14-year-old daughters because daddy never had have time to hold her in
his arms and talk to her. Our time is so valuable, and the Shoporama
installment payments on our "layaway tomorrows" must be met.

Who among us has not wondered if time is not God's cruel joke on the human
race? We bemoan the past; we fret about the future. And yet of God the
psalmist tells us, "For a thousand years in thy sight [are but] as yesterday
when it is past, and [as] a watch in the night" (Psalm 90).

And yet Jesus, who seemed to know a lot about God, focused most often on the
present moment. His biographer, Luke, records that as a twelve-year-old boy
lost in Jerusalem, Jesus was found three days later by his frantic parents,
sitting at the feet of the teachers in the temple courts, questioning them.
"Why were you searching for me?" he asked Mom and Dad. "Didn't you know I
had to be in my Father's house?" Tomorrow would come, but He was occupied
with the people around him today. And so it was throughout Jesus' ministry:
"time," while it occasionally referenced the prior or the past, most often
described a specific piece of the here-and-now. In fact, when his followers
pressed him about the future, Jesus told them, "Take ye heed, watch and
pray: for ye know not when the time is" (Mark 13:33).

So here is a great paradox: We who have instantaneous worldwide
communications, the greatest labor-saving devices in the history of the
world, and the atomic clock that measures time down to the decaying atoms of
our universe -- we have no time for the people inhabiting the moment in
which we live. Yet the One who predated time and inhabits eternity came to
earth and lived with people in the present. He had no money, no
organization, and no power. He lived only 33 years. He never worried about
tomorrow, and there is no record of him in the Shoporama. But 2,000 years
later, no individual has ever made a greater impact upon men and women down
through history than Jesus Christ. His final word on time was recorded by
the Apostle John: "And he saith to me, Seal not the words of the prophecy of
this book: for the time is at hand" (Revelation 22:10).
-----
© 1999 WorldNetDaily.com, Inc.
----

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_mcmillan/19990610_xccmc_tick_tick_.shtm

Bard

Visit me at:
The Center for Exposing Corruption in the Federal Government
http://www.xld.com/public/center/center.htm

Federal Government defined:
....a benefit/subsidy protection racket!