-Caveat Lector-

>From www.sfgate.com

> <Picture: The Gate>       www.sfgate.com        Return to regular view
>
> Hidden danger of armadillo meat
> By Michael Dougan
> OF THE EXAMINER STAFF
> Thursday, June 10, 1999
> ©1999 San Francisco Examiner

> Armadillos are in San Francisco, and that could pose a problem: It's
> the leprosy thing.
>
> Unlike killer bees and fire ants, expanding their territories in this
> direction, these carapaced critters arrive in The City as
> carcasses-on-ice. Typically found in such states as Texas, Louisiana
> and Oklahoma, they are turning up in Chinatown food stores, waiting
> for an adventurous gourmet to take out his or her wallet and surprise
> the family come dinner time.
>
> City health officials have learned what every Texas school kid already
> knows: Armadillos, like humans, can contract leprosy. Also called
> Hansen's disease, leprosy is a progressive disease that causes hideous
> deformations (go rent "Ben Hur"), though it is now treatable and less
> prone to scar those who have it.
>
> The potential danger of dining on 'dillos was to be discussed Thursday
> at a San Francisco Animal Control and Welfare Commission meeting.
>
> Who eats armadillos?
>
> "Aggies, mostly," said Texas biologist Jerry Cook, in a wry reference
> to students at Texas A&M. Calling college students "Aggies" is not yet
> a hate crime in the Lone Star State.
>

> Armadillos in Chinatown
>
> A tour of Chinatown Wednesday failed to find any armadillos on
> display, but a Chinese-speaking reporter discovered two in the freezer
> at the New Sang Sang Market on Stockton Street.
>
> Employees declined to be interviewed, but many passersby stopped to
> examine one of the frozen beasts after it had been purchased and
> removed from the bag on the sidewalk outside. (At $5.99 a pound, this
> armadillo cost $37.50.)
>
> Some shoppers said they had eaten armadillo in Hong Kong and China.
> They said it was mostly used in soup.
>
> Several Chinatown butchers said they had carried armadillo in the
> past, but stopped because they were under the impression it had been
> banned. It has not.
>

> The leprosy link
>
> What is the connection between armadillos and leprosy?
>
> "I know that they are susceptible to it, and I know they are used as a
> laboratory animal in studying the disease," said Cook. "But there's a
> long distance between susceptibility and carrying."
>
> Can leprosy be transmitted from armadillos to humans?
>
> "The only studies that have been done suggest that people who handle
> armadillos - wildlife biologists or people who trap them - have a
> slightly higher rate of leprosy than people who have never been
> exposed to armadillos," said Jane Mahlow, a physician with the Texas
> Department of Health. "The supposition is that people can catch it
> from armadillos, although it's never been definitively proven."

> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.