From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date sent:              Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:01:56 EDT
Subject:                VOICE OF THE GRUNT Newsletter, 1999-06-09-A
To:                     undisclosed-recipients:;

**********KOSOVO: ALLIED FORCE DAY 77**********
********** VOICE OF THE GRUNT
have no
control over, are not responsible for, and have no way to remove.)

TABLE OF CONTENTS                                               ARTICLES
 Hack's Column
 Defang The KLA Or Face The Consequences Tomorrow               1
 Mac Notes
2
>From The Field:
 SPECIAL REPORT: SAS Commando                           3
 A Drastic Change....I'm Appalled
4
 PAX Americana                                                  5
 A Question Of Respect                                          6
 Why I'm Leaving Active Duty                                    7
 Letter To Madam Justice Louise Arbour                          8
Medal of Honor:
 Donlon, Roger Hugh C, Capt. USA, Special Forces                        9
 Team A-726, Near Nam Dong, RVN, 6 July 1964
Commentary:
 NATO's Lengthening List Of Blunders                            10
No Humor This Week
ARTICLE 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DEFANG THE KLA TODAY OR
SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES TOMORROW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By David H. Hackworth, 8 June 1999

 Some of the same Whiz Kids who helped put our country into the
Serbian frying pan are continuing to spin out harebrained schemes, trying
to improve on their burnt offering.

 Sources say these Ivy college airheads are now chewing on the idea
that the United States should quietly train, arm and equip the Kosovo
Liberation Army.  Arming the KLA would be like providing Special Forces
demolition training to any remaining members of Oklahoma bomber Timothy
McVeigh's terrorist gang.

 In February 1998, Robert Gelbard, Clinton's envoy for Kosovo, said
that the KLA "is, without any questions, a terrorist group."

 Intelligence folks say Gelbard's assessment is dead on the money. The
KLA's leadership and ranks are filled with radicals, Islamic crazies and
heavy haters who are as responsible as Milosevic's worst thugs for the
catastrophe visited on the tormented people of Yugoslavia.

 International cops say the KLA includes global drug dealers and arms
smugglers who've been in bed with the Albanian Mafia for years. The lawmen
report that profits from these shady deals armed the KLA and financed
their guerrilla attacks on the Serbian police, military and the residents
of Kosovo -- terrorist assaults that along with Serbian brutality
certainly helped trigger the shootout in Yugoslavia in the first place.

 Intelligence reports that some KLA members were trained by
international bomber Osama bin Laden's outfit and that radical members of
the KLA, which is now trying to pose as a legitimate army, have sworn
they'll go down shooting rather than give up their guns.

 Recently Croatian General Agim Ceku became the head of the KLA.
While with the Croatian Army, his killing skills were spiffed up by the
U.S. mercenary group Military Professional Resources Inc. -- a
rent-an-American-soldier enterprise led by a cash-starved retired U.S.
Army four-star general.

 In 1995, Gen. Ceku was a player in Operation Storm, a covert
Clinton-backed and MPRI-trained Croatian military operation that
ethnically cleansed 200,000 Serbs from their homes in Croatia, killing
thousands of civilians.

 Since taking over the KLA, Ceku has purged all of its moderates. If a KLA
member was a supporter of Ibrahim Rugova, the exiled "president" of Kosovo
who for the past decade has pursued a Gandhi-like nonviolence policy in
the troubled province, he was toast.  Rugova's peaceful approach is not
welcomed by a KLA that's into violently overthrowing the Serbia regime in
Kosovo.

 On the Kosovo battlefield, the KLA has been clobbered by the more
heavily armed Serbs in every major fight -- even though NATO functioned as
its dedicated air force.

 During the latter phase of the war, the KLA's operations have been
reduced to small teams operating as snipers, conducting ambushes and
spotting for NATO bombers.

 These fumbling greenhorns aren't capable of more complex tasks
because the KLA is more of a mob than a trained fighting unit. While they
have a lot of warm bodies, perhaps as many as 17,000, they have few savvy
leaders and their ranks are filled mainly with recruits.

 Untrained recruits augmented with cutthroats don't make an army. Only
well-led, well-trained, well-equipped and well-disciplined soldiers can be
molded into effective fighting teams. And this is not done with a wave of
a magic wand. It takes about ten years of sweat and hard work to organize,
train and field an effective Army from the get-go.

 Contrary to the Whiz Kids' schemes and dreams, there's no such thing as
an instant army.

 Short-term solutions frequently backfire.  U.S. Marines and U.S. Army
soldiers who'll walk the dangerous peacekeeping beat in Kosovo shouldn't
have American-trained-and-armed terrorists attacking them from the
shadows.

 Once again, as with the 1990s Afghanistan War, we may find ourselves
relearning the hard lesson that yesterday's freedom fighters can easily
become tomorrow's terrorists. America has a long history of training and
arming the Manuel Noriegas and Saddam Husseins only to have their soldiers
kill ours when they're no longer our favorite thugs.

 So the civilian lap top commandos must stop playing Oliver North and give
up on the wrongheaded idea of supporting the KLA on the sly.

 Secret armies composed of wild-eyed thugs and idealistic kids don't
work. The KLA must be disarmed, or American peacekeepers will pay a price
in the minefields of Kosovo. =======================================
ARTICLE 2 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *******MAC NOTES*******
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 The vote is in and the nays have it. Our readers believe that NATO
should not be proactively using the military as policemen and civil
servants to deal with rebellions, civil wars, or tyrants within sovereign
borders. These incidents require diplomacy and the State Department, not
combat and the Pentagon. Troops should always be a last resort when order
has broken down and a clear and present danger exists to the lives and
property of bordering countries; e.g., Hitler annexing Austria and then
invading Poland.

 After the reasons have been sufficiently stated and debated on this
type of incident and the American people consulted, if military force is
the only option open then this option is to be used overwhelmingly and in
accordance with the Principles of War.

 Currently a framework for peace is being worked out. Everyone pay
strict attention to how this "Peace Package" is wrapped.

 Call me a cynic; call me a skeptic, but Slobodan Milosevic is still
in charge over there. The same guy our CNC painted as Hitler, and The
Hague indicted. This is the fellow we are presently brokering a deal with.
Why wasn't one of the "conditions" of this "deal" his stepping down? Did I
miss that Sandy & Maddie moment?

 The laundry cycle has begun on this story in earnest. Peter
Galbraith, the former ambassador to Croatia, was intoning to a network
that Milosevic's removal was never meant to be a part of any peace deal.
Oh, so it's okay for an indicted "war criminal" to remain as a
head-of-state? Well, I suppose if....nah, better not go there. What does
the KLA have to say about this?

 How many of the hundreds of thousands of refugees created by Allied
Force do we think are going back to Kosovo? There are still over 800,000
people unsettled from the Dayton Accords, and those were signed in 1995.
The only thing to come out of that morass was a book deal for Richard
Holbrooke. His book is airily titled, "To End A War," but I think the
first half of the title was removed at the last minute -- "The Way To Win
An Election Is ---."

 As the revisionist thinking sets in, certain pundits are laying blame for
the Balkans fiasco on George Bush, Larry Eagleburger and James Baker. The
whole thing could have been prevented if they only would have "acted" back
in 1991. And done what? Was NATO and the U.S. going to threaten to send
U.S. troops to the Balkans in 1991? Wasn't Russia in a crisis then? Oh,
and three communist countries that are in NATO now -- weren't! Here, I can
do some "20/20 rearview logic" in a vacuum too: FDR should have "acted"
against Germany and Japan in 1938!

 The spin-doctors are working this beat heavily. Listen to every word
uttered about this Peace Package. Don't be dazzled by the "brilliance" of
the ribbons and bows. Remember the old saying, "If you can't dazzle them
with brilliance, baffle them with bulls-t!"

****FLASH****FLASH****FLASH****FLASH****
 We've received reports of 10th Special Forces Group training KLA.
Remember how we were supposed to be "Disarming" the KLA? The word being
used now is "Demilitarize." Looks like we're training KLA to be insurgents
and guerillas. Gee, I thought we were supposed to getting a "Peace
Agreement"?

 Ramboulliet called for "disarming" the KLA. This has metamorphosed
into a "weasel word," a word that could be "spun." Let's not start lying
to our soldiers and citizens again while playing both sides of the street.
Remember, these guys are TERRORISTS and our troops are going over there as
PEACEKEEPERS!

Have a good week.

Don't bunch up.

Robert L. McMahon
Editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ARTICLE 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A REPORT FROM A BRITISH SAS LEADER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
****FLASH****FLASH****FLASH
Subject: SITREP, SAS Commando, SOMEWHERE - BALKANS
Time and Date: 1132 HOURS (GMT), 9 June 1999

Kosovo calling.

We have been having a lot of "fun." So far we have taken out of commission
56 tanks and about the same amount in vehicles....many anti-aircraft sites
as well as their associated radar sites. Destroyed 7 bridges and 3
airfields and associated aircraft and helicopters. We have been very busy.
Other teams that have been in country longer have had better results....we
were pulled out because we ran out of explosives......the weather was to
shit for aerial resupply. We had hoped for more help from U.S. units, but
they have been training the KLA. Most of the special ops work has fallen
to us....we are stretched thin but are coping. The U.S. seems reluctant to
send any of their boys in, which has pissed us off immensely. The U.S.
boys are anxious to get in on the fun, but their orders are to train the
KLA. One of our units snatched a Serbian General in Bosnia, and have taken
him to the Hague for War Crimes trial......guess who is next. It feels
real nice to have a warm shower and a warm bed. The weather is starting to
close in. I hope we are still not here come winter time. If they do not
sign.....they will be sending us into Belgrade itself. Our best success
was turning off the lights in Belgrade. We have had several contacts and
firefights with Serbian units. Most of them turn and run....some don't,
but they usually become a permanent fixture of the countryside. We have
only had one casualty.....one of the guys sprained his ankle on the jump
in.....I ended up carrying most of his gear.....bastard. He is fine now.
We were using mass graves as our hiding places....there is plenty of them.
The Serbians won't come back to the scene of the crime. Anyway....I am
enjoying my shave, and using a toilet. One forgets how wonderful it is to
sit on one. We have a specific ops brief in 48 hours.....so now we will be
cleaning weapons, then getting drunk. We may go find some US Airforce guys
to drink with....they like buying us beer, until we start poking fun at
them for not hitting their targets. That has happened a few
times.....still, all good fun. I am hopeful that they sign the peace
deal....then I will be able to go home. Britain has sent out the Parachute
Regiment, the Ghurka Rifles, and the Royal Marine Commandos are on route.
If those units are en route, then England is expecting a fight with
renegade units.....and finding them and mopping up may be left to us. We
shall see. The next few weeks should be really interesting.....
===================================================== ARTICLE 4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A DRASTIC CHANGE......I'M APPALLED
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SUMMARY: A former Naval Medical Officer
laments how "his" Navy has changed and the impact upon the military this
administration has had in such short time.
************************************************ By Dr. Alan, Neuren,
M.D., Former Cmdr., Medical Corps, USN

 I can't claim to be a "warrior" like you, but I did go through the
Navy twice. The first time was from 1975-77. At the urging of one of my
best friends (whom I met while on active duty), I joined the reserves in
1986. Later I was recalled for the Persian Gulf War. I was a medical
officer not a line officer. Nonetheless, I loved serving in the Navy.
Having spent several years on active duty, I am not a pacifist. Obviously
there are times when we have to go to war. It was an honor to have served
under President Bush, who knows the risks and hazards of combat (despite
the wimp reputation that the press hung on him). If I had to do it over
again I would. I felt that the leadership demonstrated by President Bush,
Brent Scowcroft, Colin Powell, and Norman Scwartzkopf left no doubt in my
mind that our mission was appropriate and our goals were well defined.

 What a drastic change has occurred now. How can we compare our
current president with George Bush; even JFK put his life on the line.
Bill Clinton the draft dodger has his nerve comparing himself even with
Kennedy. Now former President Jimmy Carter (also a veteran) has come out
against this atrocity.

 Perusing website chat rooms, it is interesting to note that the
people who support Clinton's adventures are either immature warmongers, or
effete liberal snobs who see our involvement as a moral obligation. The
liberals are the same ones who, during Viet Nam, protested that we
shouldn't be involved in a civil war and we shouldn't be imposing our
morality on another society. Now they have us involved in a civil war and
they are trying to impose the morals of the so-called New World order on
another society. The people who are opposed to this jingoism are largely
people like you and me who have served in the Armed Forces.

 I am appalled at our involvement in the Balkans. After spending
seven years dismantling our Armed Services, Clinton has the audacity to
wage an undeclared war on a nation that poses no threat to our national
security nor has any vital interest to us. Almost four years ago he stated
that troops sent to Bosnia would be back in a year. Four years later, the
line is that they will be there as long as they need to be. This could
mean forever in the Balkans.

 If I think about it too long I can almost cry. I can unequivocally
say that from a professional standpoint, the most rewarding time in my
life was when I had the opportunity to take care of the Sailors and
Marines during the Gulf War. They were the most wonderful patients I ever
have taken care of. They don't have the luxury of openly questioning what
we are doing in the Balkans. You will have to speak for those who are
serving as well as those who have served and know first hand what an
outrage this is.

Keep up the good work. Don't stop.
ARTICLE 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PAX AMERICANA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SUMMARY: The author suggests a rather harsh road tongue-in-cheek. Do we
really want to be a PAX Americana? Is this what certain leaders want us to
be? Ultimately, what happened to Rome?
*********************************************** By An Air Force Officer

 We must decide to use the full force of our political, economic,
social and military power to establish a Pax Americana much like Pax
Romana and Pax Britiana. We must say to Milosevic, Hussein, and the like,
"You have one day to change your ways or we'll change them for you." If
they don't, you kill them--whether that's by strangling their economy or
shelling their population, it just doesn't matter. But you do it, you do
it swiftly, and you do it without regret because you believe yourself to
be morally right.

 The Romans did it, the British did it, and the Spanish tried to do
it. One of my favorite quotes is, "Rome did not conquer the world by
holding meetings, they did it by killing all those opposed to them." To
effectively have a Pax Americana, you can't engage in a limited
anything--no limited economic sanctions, no limited war, no limited
anything.

 In Kosovo, this means we must dedicate ourselves to the
unconditional surrender of the current Serbian powers. Then, much like we
did following WW II, we turn the country back over to the natives, help
them rebuild (in our image, as we did with the Marshall Plan and
MacArthur's Japan plan), and then walk away.

 If we don't want to establish a Pax Americana, then we should
concern ourselves only with our interests. Hussein and Milosevic pose
little threat to us. Hussein is still scared that we'll nuke him and the
Serb army has no interest in waging war beyond its borders.

 As for the Kosovar Albanians: they're no different than every other
armed faction in this world who feels they need their own state. Anarchy
would rule the world if everyone who wanted their own country got one.
Russia would disintegrate into 400 countries--all with nukes. India would
break into 5 pieces. Saudi would become 12 kingdoms. Egypt would split in
two. Spain would become two--don't forget that the Basques have been
persecuted by Spaniards for thousands of years and we've never done a
thing to help them. Texas would leave the Union and every Indian tribe we
relocated to Oklahoma would want their land back--say good bye to Tampa as
it reverts to the Seminoles.

 Milo and his gang are disgusting people but comparisons to the Nazis are
a stretch. Unlike Hitler, he doesn't want all of Europe, just a small,
ill-weathered chunk of it; a chunk that is not worth American lives.
================================================= ~~> more articles in
Part B ~~>

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.