From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                Claremont Institute Precepts: Kosovo Shows America Needs
Missile Defense
Date sent:              Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:26:03 -0700

The Claremont Institute--PRECEPTS |

June 11, 1999 Visit <http://www.claremont.org> |

          | No. 173

Russian troops are reported to be on their way to Kosovo,
and NATO troops are stationed outside that province waiting
to enter. A squabble is reported about whether the Russian
troops will be placed under NATO command. The Russians are,
of course, partial to the Serbs, and NATO set out to
protect the Kosovars, who are mostly driven away from their
homes or dead. Division among the "allies" is not the best
prescription for an efficient effort. Like the Bosnians
before them, Kosovars might think hard before they go home.

What success we have won -- and we have apparently won some
success -- we have won with air power. This we have done
without battlefield casualties. The ability to strike from
the air with precision is a key element of American
military might, and today dictators around the world are
being invited to contemplate what this means for their
own plans for mischief. We submit that they have been
contemplating it for years. They have a plan.

North Korea and Iraq -- to name two nations where evil
reigns with impunity -- are preparing missiles and nuclear
bombs capable of reaching Europe and the United States.
These are not very good missiles, and the bombs are
probably not quite ready yet, nor of the best quality.
But these countries have the help of larger comrades,
notably Russia and China, who are aggrieved over the
Serbian war and with American preeminence generally.

These bombs and rockets will not likely be very good in the
near future. But they do not have to be very good. All they
have to do is reach, or even seem to be able to reach, some
city in our country. If they can do that, or even if they
can perhaps do that, then our strategy, both in Kosovo and
in Iraq, is completely neutralized. No longer will we have
any assurance that we can wage war from a distance "without
casualties." The casualties may not be military, but
civilian, and they will not be few, but millions. In that
situation the suffering of future Kosovars, or even
Kuwaitis, will not seem so urgent to us.

There are many lessons to draw from the latest war. None is
so clear as the urgent need to protect the American
homeland from missile attack. That is the urgent foreign
policy issue for the 2000 election. As surely as the rising
of the sun, we must build a defense or lose our safety in
the near future. We should take a moment, amidst our
"victory" celebrations, to make a policy and commit the
first resources of the state to its implementation.

Sincerely,
Larry P. Arnn
President, The Claremont Institute

or e-mail us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .  To be removed from this list, go to
: http://www.claremont.org/remove_public.cfm , or e-mail us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] . For general correspondence or additional information
about the Claremont Institute, e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED] , or visit our
website at : http://www.claremont.org . Changing your e-mail address?
Please let us know at : [EMAIL PROTECTED] . For press inquiries, contact
Nazalee Topalian at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or (909) 621-6825.

The mission of the Claremont Institute for the Study of Statesmanship and
Political Philosophy is to restore the principles of the American Founding
to their rightful, preeminent authority in our national life.

The Claremont Institute | 250 West First Street | Suite 330 | Claremont,
CA 91711 | Phone (909) 621-6825 | Fax (909) 626-8724

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.