-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Alamaine Ratliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hidden taxes cost every American
> $2,462 a year, new study reveals
>
>         * $18.7 billion a year in import taxes ...

Before the Income Tax, the fed'l gov't was entirely financed by such
import duties.  If all other taxes disappeared, would import duties
be raised so drastically that int'l commerce would cease?  If import
duties disappeared, would other taxes be increased to take their place?

>         * $10.7 billion in travel taxes -- such as hotel rooms, rental
> cars, and airline tickets ...

How much of room taxes pays for civic costs of the hostelries? How much
of airport taxes pays for infrastructure/operating costs of airports?

>         * $215.3 billion in corporate taxes ... corporations pass that
> cost on to consumers ...

If corp's weren't taxed, would personal taxes be raised by that amount?

>         * $58.9 billion in gasoline taxes ...

Do gas taxes cover the cost of road maintenance? [Hint: no.] Should gas-
burning vehicles be massively subsidized?  If you had to pay the direct
costs of your gas vehicle, would you bike or hike instead? How much of
the US military budget is a hidden subsidy keeping gas prices low?

>         * $12.6 billion in government licenses ...

Do licence fees pay for gov't services?  For instance, do dog-tag fees
pay the costs of animal control in your community?  Do amusement park
licence fees pay the cost of police and fire services at the site?

>         * $230.2 billion for your employers' share of payroll taxes.
> Those are government-mandated taxes such as Social Security & Medicare ...

Do Americans WANT the services provided by Social Security & Medicare?

Bottom line: there ain't no free lunch.  Americans want services, then
have a great time bitching about paying for such services.  So, do we
get adequate value for the taxes we pay?  Do your property taxes pay
for adequate public schools?  Would your Medicare taxes be better spent
on a national health-care system, like all other industrial countries?