-Caveat Lector-

Bard

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Adams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 1999 9:44 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; Representative Ron Paul (E-mail)
Subject: [patriots] Remembering the 4th of July and what happened to the
signers.

From: "Charlie Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The following is one of the best written essays I have ever read about the
birth of our nation.  As you read this please remember the land of liberty
founded by the signers of the Declaration of Independence.  Then pause and
reflect and ask yourself if we still live in the land of the free and the
home of the brave as you report everything you do to the Internal Revenue
Service, or request permission to build a home or start a business or travel
the roads.  It is time to remind the government of its place which is simply
to protect each of us from government and one another.  The Federal Reserve
is a private corporation which was founded in fraud on Christmas Eve 1913
and has stolen our wealth and our country.  After you read this please visit
us at:  http://patriot.org

One final note:  Why aren't our children taught this history lesson the
government schools?
Thank You  -  Charlie Adams  http://americancontracting.com
___

Timothy Shaw, Team Leader
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Committee Update
July 4, 1998
Remember the 4th of July
"My Country Tis' of Thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I praise. Land
where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountain
side, let freedom reign!"

To Forget The Price of Freedom
Benjamin Franklin once said that "A people who know the price of their
God-given Rights can never be enslaved." It is those Rights, those
Principles, that have been forgotten in America today. The understanding of
where Rights are derived has degenerated into immorality. The forgotten
glory of State Rights has turned our limited government into a collective
giant involving itself in almost every aspic of life. The price of freedom
and the danger of tyranny has all but been forgotten. Our Founding Fathers
bled and died so that we could be a free people. They not only gave us the
greatest nation in history, but strictly warned us to never forget the
Principles that won that prize.
"All that is good and precious hangs on the razor's edge…….and must be
fiercely defended"
--Ross Perot
The USCSC hopes to help our members remember those Principles, set forth so
long ago-which have since been forgotten. We realize all the campaign
finance reform in the world cannot replace the power of an educated
electorate. In order to pay off the debt, balance the budget, repeal NAFTA
and GATT or restore Congress to it's rightful place, there must be a new
spirit awakened in America. By working for reform, while reminding Americans
of their precious liberties, we can together have a new birth of freedom.

WHEN in the Course of human Events……
Perhaps it was the French and Indian War(1754-1763) that first caused our
resentment against the British Empire. Ending with the Treaty of Paris, the
British government was deep in debt and sought to relieve that debt by
taxing the American colonies. It was the colonies however, which had largely
won the war. There was also something else…….as British subjects they were
entitled to representation in the legislative body that had imposed the tax.
They had none. Since the colonies had no representation in Parliament, this
created heavy resentment against the British and thus the phrase "Taxation
without Representation".
The British did repeal most of the objectionable taxes. They did keep one
"token tax" that all British subjects were to pay, as to strictly reaffirm
the King's role of unlimited authority. The taxes, even before repealed, did
not amount to much in size-yet it was the principle of taxation without
representation that had caused public resentment. It was that public
resentment that caused British retaliation. Their retaliation led to our
rebellion.
The Stamp Act of 1765, The Townshend Acts, the Writs of Assistance, the
Boston Massacre, The Boston Port Bill, increasing encroachment upon colonial
state rights--all led the Americans to the realization that their punishment
for resentment was leading to tyranny. As Richard Henry Lee had said "If
Parliament may take from me of one shilling in the pound, what security do I
have of the other nineteen?"
The punishment only grew. Denial of jury, quartering large bodies of troops,
refusal to pass law unless the people would relinquish representation,
dissolving of Representative Houses, control of Judges, multitudes of
Offices erected to harass the people, standing armies in times of peace,
rendering of the military above civil power, protecting soldiers against
murder of colonists, cutting off trade, transporting colonists overseas for
pretended offences, abolishing laws, taking away charters, suspending
legislatures, plundering the seas, burning towns, and destroying the lives
of the people were just to name a few.
It was during this succession of tyranny that the colonies took their first
step as a unified body. Meeting in Philadelphia from September 5, 1774, to
the middle of October, "the good people of the several colonies" sent
delegates to "sit in general Congress" This was the first group of Americans
ever to be assembled under one roof as representatives of the people. They
came to be known as the First Continental Congress, and their mission was
"to obtain such establishment as that their religion, laws, and liberties
may not be subverted." 12 state were represented (Georgia had sent no
delegates.)
What resulted was the "Declaration and Resolves of the First Continental
Congress". It stated that since Americans were free-born subjects of the
king, they had the same rights to life, liberty and happiness as free-born
subjects living in England. They proclaimed that since the King could not be
bothered with granting them representation in Parliament, they reserved the
"free and exclusive power" of making their own laws. The Declaration,
mentioned our grievances and ended with three "peaceable measures" which
Congress had "for the present only hoped to pursue." Their intent was to
influence Britain to "restore us to a state in which both countries found
happiness and prosperity."
The three "peaceable measures" were :
1.      Stopping all trade with England and committing Americans not to consume
any British goods.
2.      An "open letter" to the people of Britain and America explaining why it
was taking such action
3.      An "open letter" to the King explaining the same.
The First Continental Congress then resolved to meet as another Congress in
May, 1775, once again in Philadelphia.

The Rebellion
Needless to say, the Declaration and Resolves of the First Contiverntal
Congress did not go over too well with the British. Tensions increased. By
February of 1775, British Parliament declared the state of Massachusetts to
be in open rebellion against the Crown. They instituted military law there.
Such a proclamation would surely affect to aligned states as well. Two
months later, the British army sent a military expedition from Boston to
complete a two fold mission. They were to march to Concord to confiscate
ammunition from the colonists and to Lexington to arrest leaders of the
"rebellion", John Handcock, and Samuel Adams. The brave people of
Massachusetts had finally had enough. A shot was fired that was heard "round
the world" and the British were met with ambush straight back to Boston
By this time the Second Continental Congress was about to convene. Once
gathered in Philadelphia, they assumed emergency powers and acted without
specific authorization as a temporary government. They began to work
together as a unified effort preparing for armed rebellion. Georgia sent
delegates and unity was complete. George Washington was appointed commanding
general of the Continental Army, which would consist of the forces in
Massachusetts and any others that could be raised. The Battle of Bunker Hill
fought on July 17, 1775, was fought before Washington could get there to
take command more than a year before we declared our independence from
England.
America was preparing for war for the first time.

"When in the course of human events…"

Even as late as January 1776, many of our Founders thought that peace could
still be established. They thought perhaps we could still win our seat in
Parliament and "work it out with the other parties" if you will. This of
course would not happen. Thomas Paine wrote "Common Sense" that month as
well, igniting the spirit if independence. In the months that followed
impassioned speeches were given from state to state and on June 7th,
1776…..Richard Henry Lee brought a resolution to the floor of the Congress
that would change America forever. It read :
"RESOLVED, That these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free,
and independent States, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the
British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State
of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved."

The Founders debated Lee's resolution. Heated argument followed. The final
vote was approved on July 1st 1776 by a 9-2 vote. South Carolina and
Pennsylvania opposed. New Your abstained. Delaware deadlocked. Because
unification was needed-it was moved that the final vote be postponed one
day.
On July 2nd the stage was set. The Pennsylvania delegation was 4-3 against
independence. Two of their delegates Robert Morris and John Dickinson "left"
the building during the vote since they felt personally bound. Under unit
law this allowed their state to vote in favor. Caesar Rodney from Delaware,
(who suffered from facial cancer) raced non-stop during the night for 80
miles in a thunderstorm--wearing out 3 horses to attend. He broke the tie in
Delaware saying :
"As I believe the voice of my constituents and of all sensible and honest
men is in favor of independence, and my own judgment concurs with them, I
vote for independence"
By speaking those words, he could never go to England to be treated for his
cancer. He knew he would die an early and terrible death.
South Carolina vote in favor. New York still abstained.
5 men were chosen for a committee to draft a "Declaration of Independence"
immediately after Lee's resolution had been introduced. Of that committee,
Thomas Jefferson was picked to write the document. On July 3rd, after a few
minor adjustments by his fellow committee members, the final draft was
submitted to the Congress.
The following story is told of the event:
"Outside a blue-eyed boy watched patently for the word. If the Congress
voted for Independence-he was to tell an old man in the clock tower to ring
the bell. Suddenly a loud shout came from below-"Ring! Ring!!" the boy
shouted. The old man grasped the iron tongue of the bell, backward and
foreword he hurled it a hundred times, resounding the words from Leviticus
that surrounded the bell. "Proclaim Liberty to all the land-and to the
inhabitants thereof" It came to be know as the "Liberty Bell".
--"The Lives of the Signers"-an 1848 publication by B. J. Lossing
Only John Hancock , The President of Congress, signed the Declaration that
day. It was ordered engrossed in the annals of Congress and with his name
alone it was sent out to the world. The Declaration was read in the streets
from state to state. Washington had it read to his troops. It was agreed
that a month would be given for the men to prepare for the worst before the
actual signing. By doing so they would be in open rebellion against the
Crown. On July 15th, New York finally voted to allow their delegates to
approve the Declaration becoming the 13th colony to proclaim independence.
Their Sacred Honor
It was on August 2nd that the others signed. They each knew that there would
be a death sentence for all who did. William Ellery of Rhode Island moved to

the table "to see how they all looked as they signed what might be their
death warrants" John Hancock had been the first to sign-and the largest.
"There!" he said. "His Majesty can now read my name without spectacles and
can now double his reward to $500 pounds for my head. That is my defiance"
He went on to say "We must be unanimous" To which Ben Franklin added "Yes,
we must all hang together, or we most assuredly we will all hang separately"
Stephen Hopkins of Rhode Island was the second oldest signer. He suffered
from palsy. As he signed he said "My hand trembles-but my heart does not."
Charles Carol from Maryland was one of the wealthiest men in America at that
time. As he backed away from the table after signing-one of the delegates
whispered "There go a few millions!"
And so it went on with each signer.
They pledged to each other "And for the support of this Declaration, with a
firm reliance on the protection of a divine Providence , we mutually pledge
our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."
9 died of wounds or hardships from the war. 5 were jailed and brutally
treated. One lost all 13 children, many of the others lost wives, sons, and
daughters. Seventeen signers lost everything they owned. They were hunted as
traitors and were chased from their families.
John Morton of PA was the first to die in 1777. He was even rejected by his
family and friends-many of whom, were Tories. Ignored even in his death
bed-he proclaimed "Tell them that they will live to see the hour when they
acknowledge the signing to have been the most glorious service that I have
ever rendered my country."
…….and they did!
William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, and Lewis Morris all from
NY had their homes destroyed by the British. Livingston died on the run in
1778. Floyd's wife escaped with the children-but never saw her home again.
She died in 1781. Francis Lewis was away at the time. His wife was thrown
into a prison with horrible conditions after being treated brutally. She
died shortly after being released in 1778. Morris was forced to live in
poverty for years.
John Heart of NJ was forced to leave his dying wife at her bedside. He was
hunted by dogs and soldiers, forced to live in the woods and caves, during
the icy December cold. When he returned home he found that his wife had
died-and that his 13 children had been scattered throughout the land-or in
captivity. He died of a broken heart on the 3rd anniversary of the
Declaration.
Richard Stockton of NJ was betrayed by a British loyalist and imprisoned. He
was beaten and starved. When he left prison he was an invalid who died at 51
a short time later.
Abraham Clark from NJ had 2 sons captured by the British and held on the
hellship ""Jersey". He was offered their freedom if he would abandon his
American cause-but he refused. When the other members of Congress heard of
his loyalty-they issued a direct order to George Washington to capture a
British prisoner-"preferably an officer" and "starve him to death in a dark
hole". The very communication of this order ended the persecution of the
Clark brothers. They lived to see freedom.
Thomas Nelson Jr. of VA was a militia commander. He owed a stately brick
mansion in Yorktown which the occupying British were using as a
headquarters. During the siege of Yorktown, the British were under heavy
attack from some 16,000 American troops, 3,000 Virginia militia, and the
French fleet. The artillery gunners he noticed were shelling everything in
vicinity-expect his mansion. When he questioned this and learned they wanted
to spare his property-he shouted "Give me the cannon!" The next shot ripped
through his mansion-killing the officers inside and destroying the Nelson
home. He died in poverty-paying off his wartime debts.
>From South Carolina, 3 of the signers Thomas Heyward Jr, Arthur Middleton,
and Edward Rutledge were captured. They were offered amnesty if they would
renounce the American cause. They refused to do so While in a stockade in
St. Augustine FL., Heyward defied the guards by writing new words to "God
Save the King" He taught the prisoners to sing "God Save the States". After
winning his freedom-he returned to find his wife dead.
Not one of the signers ever renounced the Declaration however. Not one went
back on their word. Not all perished either. Half continued on to serve
their country. Several became Presidents, many served as members of
Congress, governors, or state legislators. A number went on to help draft
the US Constitution.
July 4th, 1998

They bled and died for us. They pledged their Lives, their fortunes, and
their sacred Honor, for us to be free.
As you place the flags on your porch this weekend-please take a moment to
consider those Stars and Stripes. For all the soldiers who died with that
flag in their hands. They great history that flag holds.
They gave us the spirit of the Reform Party-and we have to keep it alive.
Compared to what they went though our excuses seem petty.
This is what we celebrate on the 4th of July--
Freedom!
And this is why we vote Reform

**********************************
Tim Shaw
Team Leader,
US Constitution Sub-Committee

_____

John Swinton, the former chief of staff of THE NEW YORK TIMES,
called by his peers, "The Dean of his profession", was asked in
1953 to give a toast before the New York Press Club.  He rose
and gave this toast.

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history,
in America, as an independent press.  You know it and I know it.
There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions,
and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear
in print.

"I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinions out of the paper
I am connected with.  Others of you are paid similar salaries for
similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write
honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another
job.  If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of
my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.

"The business of the Journalist is to destroy truth; To lie
outright; To pervert; To vilify; To fawn at the feet of mammon,
and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread.  You
know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an independent
press?  We are the tools and vassals for rich men behind the scenes.
We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance.  Our
talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of
other men.  We are intellectual prostitutes."

What do lizards and rock music have in common?
http://www.onelist.com
They both have communities at ONElist.  Find yours today!
The Patriot Organization is dedicated to the rediscovery of the founding
principles upon which this republic, the United States of America, was
established.  We strongly advocate Free Speech Online, and we invite your
thoughts, comments and participation.  http://www.patriot.org